PDA

View Full Version : tire pressure, what are you running?

DRS
07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
what tire pressure do you run in the front and rear?
what tires are you running?
what type of rider are you?
are you on a 600,75,1k?
and for how long?

i'm trying to get an idea of other's pref's on tire pressure on and off the track...

winter riding does not does not apply here...

don't even think about posting if this is not something you consciously think about or have not experimented with.

thanks for passing through.

DJS
07-19-2004, 09:16 PM
I run 32/34 on Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa's and it seems to be pretty good. I have never experimented but I would imagine anything lower for the street would prematurely wear your tire. Not to mention you will not be able to get it up to temp. I typically get over 8k mile per set of tire but I also don’t freak out about the flat spot. On the track I run 30/29 on Pirelli sc1/2 combination and this is very nice. Recently, on Dunlop 208GP/a tires I ran 29/28 and it murdered my front. It was bad advice and I will never ask a fellow racer and use the advice without double checking with the tire vendors first. I typically can get 1.5 very hard track days from a set. A whole lot of people swear by the Dunlop 208GP/a's but I don't like them much. They seem to wonder a lot at high speeds, over 120, and that does not suit my riding style. That's assuming I have one with such little experience I have as a novice.

DRS
07-19-2004, 10:37 PM
i started off my most recent set of pilot sports at 34/36 and man oh man are they fuckin slick.... i've had the rear-end step out at least 4 times in the last week, and these things are reasonably scrubbed in by now.... i'm think i'm going to drop back down to 32/33 and live with it..

DJS
07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
I thought the Pilot's had a reputation of taking longer to get up to temperature? Did you get into slides before your tires had time to get up to temp? Or was it simply the slippery stuff on the tires? The Ducati Superbike manual says to run the tire pressure at 31.6/34.5 and consider that the Superbikes sometimes come with different OEM tires so this would be a good place to start.

Bill Anderson
07-19-2004, 11:19 PM
what tire pressure do you run in the front and rear? 40/41
what tires are you running? AVON Azario AV 45/46
what type of rider are you? sport touring
are you on a 600,75,1k? ST4s (996 cc's)
and for how long? I am not sure what you mean by this question. I have put in a couple of 500 mile days.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

DRS
07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
I thought the Pilot's had a reputation of taking longer to get up to temperature? Did you get into slides before your tires had time to get up to temp? Or was it simply the slippery stuff on the tires? The Ducati Superbike manual says to run the tire pressure at 31.6/34.5 and consider that the Superbikes sometimes come with different OEM tires so this would be a good place to start.

i ran the pilot sport before and i never had a problem with the back end stepping out on me, even when they were reasonbly new... i did however, go to a 180/55 from a 190/50 and it is a lot quicker going down into and coming up out of turns; but with the elevated tire pressure it just feels way too loose...

DJS
07-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Ya, I can see how the smaller rear would make things a bit dicey for a few till you got used to it. The 190/50 always seemed so huge when I looked at it. Still does actually. I was contemplating going to a 120/70 front from a 120/60. Now I wish I had but it would have cost more than just tires to get it setup for the taller tire. Maybe next year...oh well.