PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and Drilling Carbon Fiber

Patrick
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I bought a Carbon fiber fairing but it needs all the fastener holes drilled and the belly pan has to be trimmed/cut to fit around the kickstand moulding on the side panel. what is the best way to cut and drill carbon fiber?

I want to do it correctly the first time because of the expense of screwing it up.

yarjammer
06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I have used a dremel tool and drill press in the past. Whatever method you use, make sure you wear a dust mask and goggles... the dust is toxic and can mess you up pretty good. Once you have the edges ground down to shape, I recommend wet sanding them smooth and sealing them. Good luck, you should do fine!

ducmons
06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Tap Plastics (across the street from Ducati Seattle) will have all the chemicals you need to seal it. Just take your time, and measure twice before starting.

Patrick
06-29-2006, 05:36 PM
thanks.

I was thinking of marking the parts and taking them down to Tap plastics to have them cut and drill the parts.

Seattle748
07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
masonry wheels work great for carbon. What ever you do, don't use anything that uses a "cutting" action. No twist drills. abrasive type tools work best. Otherwise, cracks can/will develop. if you do it right sealing the edges isn't necessary.