PDA

View Full Version : Ducs at the Park

flyingducman
05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Just thinking about this summer and how a summer-time BBQ and gathering of the club at, let's say Lake Sammamish State Park (must reserve in-advance and alcohol OK for those who want it, some covered spaces too) this summer, would probably be a real blast. I'd definately go to that, if it was scheduled in-advance, so I could work-it-into my summer plans.

I'm not sure what the reservation fee is, or what's available, I know space starts to go fast this time of year.

Image a couple hundred ducs at the park, and they're not Mallards!

Anybody interested in a major club event???

Since posting this earlier today I've done a little research on the park. The park info is available by visiting this link http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Lake+Sammamish&pageno=2 (at least I hope it will be).

The park has three different sized covered kitchen "group" areas with sinks, and I believe electricity. 3 shelters will accomodate up to 400 people (approx. $400 to reserve via credit card), 1 will accomodate only 100 (approx. $100 to reserve) and one mid-size, lake view site will accomodate 200 people (approx. $200 to reserve).

Each vehicle entering the park will be charged a daily "user" fee of $5.00 (looks like it would apply to bikes, as well)...what's five bucks to show-off your duc!...and have a great day at-the-park. Remember, power boats are allowed, alcohol in most areas and lots of room for softball, volleyball etc. Not to mention a swim in the lake, and girls in bikinis (had to throw that in...sorry ladies).

Reservations can be made by calling 1-888-226-7688. A credit card over-the-phone reserves the space. The available spots and dates can be obtained by calling the reservation number above. Their computers were "down", but she said they expected to be fully operation by this afternoon (5/28), and could provide the availability info, as well as take a reservation at that time.

So, whose game?...and who'll take it from here if there's enough interest?

Torben
05-28-2004, 12:14 PM
That sounds like a great idea!
You've just been nominated to be the official organizer :D

Let me know how you think we should proceed and we'll make it official.
Thanks for the great idea, and welcome aboard!

flyingducman
05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
My imagination as a serial entrepreneur can get a little crazy. Ever since joining the forum/club I've been thinking that this is a really great thing that's been started. Who says only Harley Rider's can have great clubs!!!

Back to ideas...here's a few.

1) Somebody needs to reserve the date/space at the park. I think a Sunday would be the best day as I would assume there would be less of a demand for Sunday, than Saturday. There are benefits, and drawbacks to Sunday (will explain later), but I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. I'm an optimist and think that between ducmen, ducwomen, their families and cycling-enthusiest friends (this could be a membership/Ducati sales drive as well) that one of the 400 capacity areas needs to be reserved. Again, this will take a $400.00 commitment from somebody at either Desmo Northwest, or the main sponsor (perhaps a Ducati dealership?) If Desmo Northwest ponies-up the reservation fee, perhaps either a donation box, or ticket charge could be employed to recover the cost.

2) A name must be selected for the event. Of course it has to begin with "The first annual Desmo Northwest..." BBQ and fun-ride? membership rally? family picnic & party? Please, throw-out some ideas, this is a democracy...isn't it?

3) We need to locate a main sponsor, or partnership of sponsors (Northwest Ducati dealers?) willing to bankroll some of the expenses.

If a prospective sponsor is reading this, imagine your banner on display at the event (not only to attendees, but all park visitors in-the area), a banner on the Desmo Northwest website linking to your website, your name and/or advertisement in any official "program" that gets published for the event and prize give-aways as well. Again, just throwing-out some ideas.

If a sponsor can't be found, perhaps the club has raised sufficient funds to reserve the space and can the attract and "sell" sponsorships. Or, charge for a "ticket" to the event.

4) The day could begin in the morning with a ride that begins just off I-90 in North Issaquah, near the A&W and Boehms Chocolate factory for those who know Issaquah. At 8:00-9:00 AM on a Sunday, meeting at a staging-area in this vicinity shouldn't be too difficult. The light traffic on a Sunday morning is one of the benefits of a Sunday event. We would probably want to notify the officials in Issaquah of our morning meeting. From this location a few hundred Ducs (and other brands as well...remember this is also a Desmo Northwest membership and Ducati dealer sales drive) could easily access I-90 for a ride to the Summit, and back. It would be a quick and easy u-turn at the pass and don't forget, the speed-limit is 70 MPH for most of this ride (add 9, and we're having some fun!).

We then pull-into Lake Sammamish State Park between 10:00-11:00 AM to our reserved-area, hopefully all set-up by our sponsors and volunteers (members/family).

This will be quite a sight for other park-goers. It will look more like a motorcycle show than a picnic!

5) A contest for: A. Best paint job. B. Best modifications C. Coolest machine (whatever that means) D. Whatever can be thought up.

This could be done by a vote of the attendees.

I need to pick this up later. I've got a business issue to attend to.

Please add your ideas...hopefully this gets everybody thinking about the possibilities of a first-class event.

Torben
05-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow! You've been putting a lot of thought into this - thanks!
I like the ideas you've put out there. For now, yes this is a democracy, :p so folks let's hear your feedback. I think it's a great idea!

What timeframe were you thinking? Late Jun/early July so we can be assured of good weather? It will take some time to get the plans together, the sponsors if any lined up and so on.

I like the idea of a "first annual" event. As far as funding goes, we could use part of the DOC dues once that gets going - of course we'd need people to sign up for it. Might be able to get some sponsors as well - I'll do some investigating.

mike
05-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

lll0228
05-29-2004, 04:45 PM
I think that's a great idea, too. Second. Motion to proceed with the plan.

TDAdams
05-29-2004, 08:22 PM
...maybe in conjunction with a WMRRA event at Pacific Raceways?

Holeshot
05-31-2004, 10:51 AM
I really like that idea! Thanks for pursing this and keep us posted. I've organized a few similar events for the local VFR club. It was much more work than it looked like on the outside.. lots of work but it turned out to be a great event.

Venue (like buying a hourse with a great location ) is critical to the overall success of the event. If I can be of some assistance in feedback or scouting out locations further west.. just let me know.

Gemini
06-01-2004, 11:52 AM
If this is really going to be a club, there needs to be dues. That way no one get's stuck with a big bill for something like this... I seem to recall on the yahoo group on guy go pegged with the bill for the Alki event one year because no one chipped in.

Just my thought.

Torben
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Gemini, we actually plan on collecting dues once we get the club paperwork in place. It takes a while to file with the government as a non-profit and until then I'm not comfortable with collecting money from folks personally. I could simply run away with your dues and live on an island in the Bahamas and that wouldn't be good.
In all seriousness though, we will collect dues and it will be used to pay for events like this. Between now and then we're evaluating other options. Stay tuned for details and thanks for being concerned

mike
06-01-2004, 03:29 PM
...maybe in conjunction with a WMRRA event at Pacific Raceways?

I'd vote against this because, in my experience, generally people who go to WMRRA events spend the better part of a whole day at PR, so you'd get a better turnout by scheduling it on a non-WMRRA weekend.

Don't make people choose which bike thing they're going to attend.

flyingducman
06-02-2004, 05:57 PM
The ideal time for an event, at least in my opinion, is to avoid a conflict with other "major" events in the area. This would include Seafair. Mid-to-late August may be the ideal time.

Also, I've mentioned that a Sunday would increase the odds of getting the space at the park, and would limit morning traffic (everybody's at church, brunch, sleeping-n etc.) if a ride, let's say up I-90 to the summit and back was scheduled as part of the event.

The only problem with Sunday (maybe there's others I haven't thought of) would be for those members who activly participate in a Sunday morning ritual that can't be altered. They could still show-up for all of the afternoon activities.

kneedragger
06-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Hmmmm, this is something that Adrenaline Freaks might just be interested in doing. What are the costs if I was to sponsor this event?

Cheers,

Mario

Torben
06-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Mario, contact me offline and we'll discuss.
torben@desmonorthwest.com

flyingducman
07-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Has this idea died a slow death? It seemed that there was a lot of initial interest. Lake Sammamish is a great park for large get-togethers, is easily found from distances near-and-far and can accomodate a group from 100-400. But somebody has to pony-up the picnic-area reservation fee of $100.00 (100 people), $200.00 (200 people) or $400.00 (400 people...OK you get it by now). Has DNW progressed to a point of financial solvency to absorb this and recover it through sponsorships? ticket sales? or???

I'd help with the organization if the space is reserved.

Any feedback?

Torben
07-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Long time no see!
No it hasn't really died per se, just lots of other things going on.
Since I'm the guy wearing multiple hats at this point, including treasurer, I'm not certain we can at this point come up with sufficient funds to lay out for the reservation fee. Membership and sponsorship hasn't been as forthcoming as I'd have liked unfortunately.
I'll do some additional noodling on it and see what we can do.
Thanks for checking back in!

Holeshot
07-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Sort of off-topic.. re: membership. If you are not opposed to it (and better yet if you have some promo collateral) I could see about putting someting up on the bulletin board at the local Duc dealer out here (how they plan to sell that Fila 999R on this side of the pond blows my mind.. that's equal or greater than 18 months of salary in these parts.. but. let me digress).

That blathered. I organized last year VFR event and let me tell you.. its' a lot of work.. BUT it was a lot of fun too! If I can assist in getting this off the ground or up and running or.. let me know.