PDA

View Full Version : What are the best roads/rides in the area??

Jeemo
07-27-2004, 03:39 PM
In your opinion, what are some of your favorites?

mikimoto
07-27-2004, 03:54 PM
The Snoqualmie Valley is my favorite area to ride. But I'm partial to it, as I live there.

Miki

RockStar
07-27-2004, 04:00 PM
the highway up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier...but you have to go on a weekday early in the morning to have the twisties to yourself...way...cool.

Windy Ridge (Randal to Mt. St. Helens). One of this groups absolute fav's. But better in group...just in case you meet Spirit Lake. :o

Holeshot
07-27-2004, 04:20 PM
the highway up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier...but you have to go on a weekday early in the morning to have the twisties to yourself...way...cool.

Windy Ridge (Randal to Mt. St. Helens). One of this groups absolute fav's. But better in group...just in case you meet Spirit Lake. :o

Better yet keep going past FR-99 all the way to the Burger Buggy.. yeah baby.. and to top that keep on going all the way to Carson! That is some of the funnest stuff!!!!!
:happy64: :happy36: :evilgrin3

Zach
07-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Hwy 20 east of Marblemount, head over to Winthrop for lunch. Continue on over Loup Loup Summit for more fun & a virtually empty road. Even further east on 20 is Wacounda Summit & Sherman Pass, perfect Ducati exercise grounds. Oh wait, those aren't really 'in the area' huh?

Indeed Snoqualmie Valley can be fun, but traffic is increasingly becoming a problem. Does anyone ride OLD Woodinville-Duvall Road? Fun, but a lot of homes in the area.

Are you new to the area or riding?

-Zach

Bill Anderson
07-27-2004, 08:15 PM

I did Sunrise and Paradise Sunday. While the twisties invite fun, the poor road conditions and invisible undulations say keep it close to the posted limit. The traffic down from Paradise keeps you below the posted limit.

I like the South Skagit Hwy/Concrete-Sauk Hwy. Unfortunately, more and more people are getting squeezed on to the roads and urban sprawl makes it take more and more time to get out into the country. My favrorite riding is east of the Cascades in Washington, Oregon, and Northern Idaho.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

RockStar
07-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I did Sunrise and Paradise Sunday. While the twisties invite fun, the poor road conditions and invisible undulations say keep it close to the posted limit. The traffic down from Paradise keeps you below the posted limit.

I like the South Skagit Hwy/Concrete-Sauk Hwy. Unfortunately, more and more people are getting squeezed on to the roads and urban sprawl makes it take more and more time to get out into the country. My favrorite riding is east of the Cascades in Washington, Oregon, and Northern Idaho.

Yeah well...the road conditions are better than the north side...just ask T. what I looked like during my tank slapper coming down from that (thank the Maker for steering dampers and lots of throttle....).

lll0228
07-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Tiger Mountain Road on the Eastside. Carnation Farm Road. Ames Lake etc. :tongue10:

Holeshot
07-28-2004, 09:06 AM
SR-112 If you have to ask, I can't explain it to ya.. :evilgrin3

Curt999
07-28-2004, 11:13 AM
All you Southenders need to get away from all that traffic and come play up North more. Virtualy endless opportunities with a fraction of the houses and traffic. To name a few:

530 bewteen Silvana and Stanwood

Norman road from 530 to Marine Drive. My super secret private testing grounds. (don't tell anyone, especially the farmers, that it is me scaring their livestock from reproducing, making milk, etc, etc...;) )

All time Favorite:

9 from Arlington to Sedro-Woolley to Mosquitto Lake Rd to Mt Baker highway-lunch at the holy smoke-542 to Bellingham to New Haven to Chuckanut.....and home.

Curt

elevatus
07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Speaking of good rides, where in here is the place to connect with people to go riding on a weekend etc.?

Duvall/Snoqualmie Valley is a good place to ride, just watch the police when its prime time. They know you're coming and they wait.

Two-Push
07-28-2004, 04:36 PM
One of my favorite rides is to pick up Union Hill Road near the Target Store in Redmond, then to -I think - Tolt Hill Road to West Snoqualmie road all the way to Cathcart and then down to Snohomish.

Actually you can ride all the way to Bellingham and Chuckanut Drive and back to LaConner, and through the Tulalip Reservation, and on and on.

Best way to start is to try to ride from Redmond to Cathcart and figure it out yourself, but then get a Thomas Bros map book from Costco or one of the local bike dealers and just start exploring on your own. That's the fun of motorcycling.

Another fun theme as my son-in-law and I do is map a trip around great BBQ places. Armadillo BBQ in Woodinville is really fun, And Jaspers in Duvall is good - though it's been at least a year since I've been there and Jasper - the dog - was really in poor health. The 3-Pigs in Swellview is another good spot for BBQ, but not really close to any good bike roads.

Point is, don't worry about the roads so much as try a theme to your ride. We found all sorts of great roads around Granite Falls and Conway and LaConner and Bow - the Rhodendron Cafe is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it. Probably didn't look enough like a BBQ pit.

Just go explore and find your own roads and report back. Try Cuckanut Drive and then go toward Anacortes and take the Deception Pass Bridge, then ride the length of Whidbey Island down to Clinton and take the Ferry over to Mukilteo.

Okay, I'm leaving now. I had almost forgotten some of these great rides myself.

These are all half-day trips. If you want to ride for a week or so, talk to St. Swervus - Nathan Reynolds. He's done Canada and the Redwoods. He's also worn out my rear tire.

mikimoto
07-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Tiger Mountain Road on the Eastside.

Exactly where is that?

Sorry Belltown Boy, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Miki

Zach
07-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Two-Push wrote: "If you want to ride for a week or so, talk to St. Swervus - Nathan Reynolds. He's done Canada and the Redwoods.

Hey Nathan, we need to hook up for a ride or several. How about something like droppin' in to Jasper from the north side? Humbolt County? Uhhh...yeah, that type 'o stuff :)

-Zach

Bill Anderson
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
All you Southenders need to get away from all that traffic and come play up North more. Virtualy endless opportunities with a fraction of the houses and traffic. To name a few:

530 bewteen Silvana and Stanwood

Norman road from 530 to Marine Drive. My super secret private testing grounds. (don't tell anyone, especially the farmers, that it is me scaring their livestock from reproducing, making milk, etc, etc...;) )

All time Favorite:

9 from Arlington to Sedro-Woolley to Mosquitto Lake Rd to Mt Baker highway-lunch at the holy smoke-542 to Bellingham to New Haven to Chuckanut.....and home.

Curt

Curt: why are you giving away all of our secret riding spots?

mikimoto
07-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Curt: why are you giving away all of our secret riding spots?

Shush Bill!!!!!

Miki

Torben
07-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Tiger mountain ride is by me - way the hell out there for most of you :happy57:

Jeemo
07-28-2004, 11:59 PM
First of all, I wanted to thank all of you for sharing some great spots to ride, I look forward to experiencing each one! (By no means is this ending the thread or the question so keep posting by all means!)

Next, to answer some questions:

Zach- No, I'm not new to riding but I'm fairly new to the area even though I grew up in the Silverdale/Poulsbo area, I've been in Austin, TX the last eight years... (and ya, if you think it's hot here now your mistaken!)

I never knew that much about Seattle and I never rode street bikes in WA as I was about 18 when I left. I had one of those mothers who didn't want their son to have a bike until he was out of the house. I'm now on bike #7, a '99 yellow 748S, my first Ducati and let me tell you it's been a real joy! Having ridden only Japanese bikes (Honda's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's), it was quite a departure and not at all unpleasant! (except the stiff clutch lever-I have a callous on my finger now!-Should I call it Carpul Tunnel Ducati Lever Syndrome??? I feel like I could crush anything in my hand now due to the new muscles developing!, anyone else have this?, I suppose I should start a new thread about this and any remedys = )

To Miki- No apologies needed for thread-jacking... that's what open forums are all about! Besides, your question would only help me in finding said location! And, thanks for making this thread humorous with your comments :happy57:

As for themed rides I like that idea very much, especially the ones themed around BBQ. Real BBQ. Not hamburgers and hotdogs. That's not real BBQ. I'm talking beef brisket, smoked chicken, pork ribs, sausage, marinated and grilled chicken, pork loin, steaks and beer. And cold. crisp. beer. And all other kinds of beer with some wine thrown in for good measure. Enough said. (except when you have to ride home right afterward, a good BBQ shouldn't be rushed and would be preferably at a friends house where you could stay the night if needed) :rolleyes: Anyone care to host??? I would put in money for something like that... If I wasn't in a downtown apartment I would definitely be throwing some fun 'get-togethers.'

While all of this is somewhat off-topic to my original post, I am getting to the point where I wanted to share with you of the ride my brother and I took yesterday evening to La Conner.

However, one more point remains before this venture may begin. That is that I agree in part with Bill that there is some inherent danger in posting good riding spots in a semi-public forum. The police have been known to visit motorcycle forums in an attempt to gain information, and, not to sound paranoid, as I believe the police in general are obviously out to protect the public good which is both honourable and just. And yet at times we all like to see what our steeds, our creations, are capable of on that seemingly empty yet, curvy road... and so I would not object to this thread being deleted after only a brief existence, if only for our collective peace of mind.

Now, The La Conner Trip.

The ride was enjoyable yet not ideal. Only in the last hour of the trip to La Conner was much enjoyment found, other than riding side-by-side with my brother. But before that is set in stone, we had a nice dinner in Everett at "The Flying Pig" on the way where I tried their "special" consisting of a greek salad with feta cheese, kalamata olives, a red wine vinaigrette and topped with a smoked chicken breast and sliced red onions-errrr is this a cooking forum I'm on, I forget? (great beer that they make themselves by the way, NOTE: only partook of one tasty beverage with meal as we were soon to be riding!) Right. On to the riding.

The roads that followed were great after Everett. A stint on Marine View drive and Pioneer Highway to I guess what was Fir Isl. Rd. and onto Best Rd heading to La Conner. My impressions were it was ideally fast and curvy (at times) those of you that have done this ride can acknowledge the long straights punctuated by long sweeping high speed turns. However, what struck me the most in this last hour was the countryside and the setting sun. A mandarin sun cut in half by the roof of an old barn. The atmosphere was such that one could look directly at the sun without harm. The giant rythmic jutting, pumping, spraying sprinkler heads sending huge streams of water up to seventy five feet out before turning to mist and falling lightly on the crops below. Click...Tssshhh, Click... Tssshhh, Click... Tssshhh... Orangish glow fading into treetops...

We stopped short and pulled into a park somewhere along the way and were pleasantly surprised to find a driftwood strewn shore affording great views. While we walked around the edge of the beach a clean '51 Ford coupe chanced upon us and rumbled through hosted by an older Gent and his wife? which was a small joy to witness, both a nice old car and an older couple...gives me some hope!

As we rode on, the scenery only got better as well as the smells. You know what I mean. Riding a motorcycle we experience more out of our environment than is afforded by our cages. We instantly feel temperature drops as we near water or dip into a canyon, the smell of the wildflowers or fresh berries, ripening fruit, and Uggghhhh fresh dung from a cowfield! And yet it is all more palpable and beautiful and I think is part of the reason we all ride. To expereince, to feel life. To live. Isn't that what we are all seeking? The experince of being alive?

Again, thank you all for posting your favorite roads/rides and I apologize for the longish post. Good night... Jeemo

Bill Anderson
07-29-2004, 02:13 AM
I ride the road between Sylvana and Conway and then on to LaConner quite often as a quick evening get-away ride. One of my favorite "watch the sunset" spots is west of Stanwood on the road that stays up on the ridge (not the Pioneer Hwy. which stays in the valley).

Jeemo
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Okay, to finish the La Conner experience as I was first distracted and finally overtaken by sleep last night. :indiffere
One of the reasons I mentioned that the ride wasn't ideal was that by the time we rolled into La Conner it was nearly 9p. and everything had long since closed up. The quest for just some ice cream ended up at the local grocery store as it was the only thing still open affording such luxuries at such an outrageously late hour! But, we had the town to ourselves and spread out by the horse and rider statue off the main drag by the water. It reminded me of something out of a "Lord Of The Rings" movie as it was composed entirely of scrap metal and none-too-friendly looking. Another reason the ride wasn't ideal is that darkness reigned as we rode back. On I-5. Anyhow, thanks for reading. Just wanted to share the experience with anyone who wanted to hear about it.
Jeemo

Apostate
07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
I got one, I got one. You have GOT to ride I-5 northbound between Lynnwood and the Highway 2 exit in Everett. At 5 o'clock. On a Friday. Totally rocks!

What!

Me? A smart-ass? Naaaaaah! :D

Okay, okay, seriously. Head south out of Cathcart on High Bridge Road (is it HBR there, or something else...I can't recall) but be careful. It's still a bit sketchy since they laid fresh oil and gravel recently. Unfortunate, that, because some of the best corners on that run are right there. Anway, go down HBR, down West Snoqualmie Valley Rd all the way down to 202. But keep an eye out for the Speed Tax Collectors. They're starting to pop up more and more. At the bottom of WSVR, head east for a bit on 202 until you get to Tolt Hill Rd. Take a left and head up the hill. That first right hander is sweet!

That's about all I have to say about that.

Two-Push
07-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Tiger mountain ride is by me - way the hell out there for most of you :happy57:

It's by me too, but a little too short so best used as a brief departure on the way out to Black Diamond and the Green River Gorge, then through Cumberland (The City Hall/Pool Room is biker friendly) out to Enumclaw and then up to Crystal Mountain and back to Enumclaw. Take a left (heading west) in Buckley toward Carbanado and up the road toward the Carbon River Ranger Station (thought don't go all the way).

Man, too many roads and why am I giving away my secrets?

Two-Push
07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
I got one, I got one. You have GOT to ride I-5 northbound between Lynnwood and the Highway 2 exit in Everett. At 5 o'clock. On a Friday. Totally rocks!

What!

Me? A smart-ass? Naaaaaah! :D

Okay, okay, seriously. Head south out of Cathcart on High Bridge Road (is it HBR there, or something else...I can't recall) but be careful. It's still a bit sketchy since they laid fresh oil and gravel recently. Unfortunate, that, because some of the best corners on that run are right there. Anway, go down HBR, down West Snoqualmie Valley Rd all the way down to 202. But keep an eye out for the Speed Tax Collectors. They're starting to pop up more and more. At the bottom of WSVR, head east for a bit on 202 until you get to Tolt Hill Rd. Take a left and head up the hill. That first right hander is sweet!

That's about all I have to say about that.

Toss in the Big Rock Road near Duvall and you've got a really nice ride.

Two-Push
07-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Tiger Mountain Road on the Eastside. Carnation Farm Road. Ames Lake etc. :tongue10:

Yep, yep, all good roads..... Nice pick. Keep heading north toward Duvall and cherry Hill Road and Ben Howard road.

Watch out for all the riders who have been reading this website - at least we'll hear a V-Twin sound that ain't a Hardly-Davidsen. (no offense, intended all you CPAs and Danger Boy)

Mat
07-30-2004, 06:54 PM
DOWN here in Oh-ree-gone, there is a road from Estacata (south and east from Portland) to the town of Detroit (up in the hills).
This road rocks... and at 40 years of riding, I have seen some of the best
on the west coast and this baby is sweet. It is so popular that I would
suggest Monday thru Friday cuz the touristas screw up the weekend. Just how many Harley pigs, Honda wanna be pigs and every other Japaneese would be pig is waddling around.,,,,,All that said.....this is ONE SWEET ROAD!!
mp

Mat
07-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Yep, yep, all good roads..... Nice pick. Keep heading north toward Duvall and cherry Hill Road and Ben Howard road.

Watch out for all the riders who have been reading this website - at least we'll hear a V-Twin sound that ain't a Hardly-Davidsen. (no offense, intended all you CPAs and Danger Boy)

Excuse me that is Davidson and have you squared off against a Buell?
I think that you might find that your "basic" HD will leave you looking for another gear...and I love my Ducks and my Sporty.
I think!
mp

darkduc
07-30-2004, 07:20 PM
I've owned two Buells. Nice bikes. Not as nice as a Duc though! :rolleyes:

Bill Anderson
07-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I ride the road between Sylvana and Conway and then on to LaConner quite often as a quick evening get-away ride. One of my favorite "watch the sunset" spots is west of Stanwood on the road that stays up on the ridge (not the Pioneer Hwy. which stays in the valley).

I have to correct myself. Pioneer Hwy is the road that stays up on the bluff, the Old Pacific Hwy is the one that is down in the valley. I rode there last night, the bugs looked like a snow storm at times.

Two-Push
07-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Excuse me that is Davidson and have you squared off against a Buell?
I think that you might find that your "basic" HD will leave you looking for another gear...and I love my Ducks and my Sporty.
I think!
mp

Okay, okay Mat. No offense intended. Just trying to be funny. I understand the Buell's are great bikes. They are good looking anyway. Have I ever squared off against a Buell? No, nor have I squared off against a Vespa - though I might lose, the way I ride.

This is one of the things that bugs me a little bit about sport bike riders. Why do they need to argue over who's faster? When's the last time you heard a radio commercial about a big Ferrari vs Lamborghini match race at the local drag strip?

your point is well taken but that's not why I made the comment. I was referring mostly to the V-Twin sound and, admittedly, to the apparent fetish Harley riders have toward their bikes. They are not bad bikes, just hugely overrated - unless you factor in the nostalgia appeal. I'm just digging myself in deeper, aren't I?

Okay, I apologize.

Mat
07-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Okay, I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely NO apology needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mat's moto...."The only bad motor cycle is the one you don't ride"!!
I am on this forum 'cuz I LOVE my Ducks.
When I go to get an oil filter for my sporty at the Harley dealership (you can get them at your NAPA auto parts store too), the guys at the counter have only good things to say about my 620 mini-Duck and they love the sound even more than their beloved HD's.
Real bikers (the old guys) are not plastered with logo worship...they just love the machines....and V-twin folks share a common soft spot be it Briggs and Statton dependability or Desmo purity.
Life is good!
My Sporty is the 'family dog' ...makin' the daily deliveries.
My Ducks are the sex needed to keep that idiot smile on my face.
It is all good.
mp

Torben
08-01-2004, 04:53 PM
I really like doing 202 to tolt hill and along 203. That's a nice bit of curvy road in that there area.
I really need to check out what the eastern side has to offer I hear.

Two-Push
08-01-2004, 04:54 PM
As for themed rides I like that idea very much, especially the ones themed around BBQ. Real BBQ. Not hamburgers and hotdogs. That's not real BBQ. I'm talking beef brisket, smoked chicken, pork ribs, sausage, marinated and grilled chicken, pork loin, steaks and beer. And cold. crisp. beer. And all other kinds of beer with some wine thrown in for good measure. Enough said. (except when you have to ride home right afterward, a good BBQ shouldn't be rushed and would be preferably at a friends house where you could stay the night if needed) :rolleyes: Anyone care to host???

Cool! Now that we've broached the subject, St Swervus and I have been searching, mostly on our Ducs, for the ultimate BBQ ribs. We've done Armadillo in Woodinville (lots of times) Jasper's in Duvall, 3-Pigs in Swellview, The one downtown on Lower Queen Anne (the name of which escapes me), Dixie's in Swellview, and some others, mostly forgettable. Oh, Coho's in Issaquah has some really good ribs on their bar menu and they are really cheap if you get there during happy hour. Most of the bartenders in the Issaquah place are newbie bikers too. (Jon and Cameron and Ted are all great guys, Summer - Camer0n's fiance is great fun too.

So, what I'd like to do is solicit your thoughts (all of you) on your favorite stop for lunch during a ride. Doesn't necessarily have to be BBQ, but...

Holeshot
08-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Out here we BBQ just about every Friday and Saturday nights (and Sunday too.. as I'm marindating beer for a kabobs as I type).

Althought the house is a bit cramped for sleepovers we do have a fair amount of floor space and a bunch of room for pitching a on the sports-court or back-forty (feet) of the yard.

1.5 mi. down the road we have a smokehouse / butcher so aquiring some good pre-smoked or non ribs would be a breeze

So if anyone is interested in heading out this way for a Peninsula ride then capping off with a BBQ.. let me know, we enjoy company.

Were we is:
http://www.marlinmedia.com/bbq/casa_de_holeshot.png

It's pretty easy to make it a 1/2 day or full day ride out of the penninsula depending on how much and how technical of a ride you want. ;)

Torben
08-01-2004, 05:42 PM
That sounds awesome! :D How abot we plan something for Labor Day weekend? That way we can get an idea on who's coming and the like.
Sound like a plan???

I have never been over there - which ferry do we take to get to the House of Ducati?

Two-Push
08-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Wow! That's one part of the country we haven't tried yet. Hey, Swervus, you listening? This could be fun. Thanks Holeshot. BTW, what's marindating? you sipping the BBQ suace instead of putting it on the food? :p

Holeshot
08-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Wow! That's one part of the country we haven't tried yet. Hey, Swervus, you listening? This could be fun. Thanks Holeshot. BTW, what's marindating? you sipping the BBQ suace instead of putting it on the food? :p

AHAHHAHA I guess I was hitting the sauce as much as the beer was!

The Bremerton Ferry works fine but so does the Bainbridge or Kingston/Edmonds depending on your location.

It's about 20 min ride here from either Bainbridge or Edmonds and the roads are reasonably interesting and not as we have not uber-slabs over here. :)

Bill Anderson
08-01-2004, 09:21 PM
A small group of us explored some of MikiMoto Land today: back roads between Duval, Carnation, and Fall City. Forget the main highway between Fall City and Snoqualmie on a Sunday. Much too crowded. I did see an older red Supersport pass through Snoqualmie as we were relaxing at the train museum. Anyone here?
Bill ANderso (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.