PDA

View Full Version : The love for Ducati

yinger
07-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi All,

I just want to say 'hi' to everyone, this is my first post in this wonderful board. Maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Yinger, living in Vancouver Canada. Working for myself as a photographer. Feel free to check out my work at www.yingerdesign.com . Your comments are greatly welcome.

Maybe I should express my love for Ducati. At the age of 15, before I even knew what Ducati really was, I just happened to walk into a Ducati dealership, and I fell in love witih the Ducati 916. The guy at the dealer gave me a little 8x10 Ducati 916 poster. Ever since, I placed that picture on glass table, through the years; the colors of the picture is fading. Now I am ready for my first Ducati, looking out for a Ducati 748. Hopefully the dream of my decade will soon be fulfill.

When I describe my passion for Ducati, no one around me could seem to understand. To them, for that amount of money, I could get myself a brand new 04 600rr, GSXR, Ninja, or a R6. They would tell me it is lighter, quicker, cheaper to maintain, and on. . . after all; it's not like that I don't know about it. Still, my heart is set on my Ducati 748. The sound of the Desmo, the classic look. . .

I think some of you may understand what I'm trying to say. After all, I am still looking out for my 748. How'bout you? What would you do?

:)

Torben
07-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Hey man welcome!
I grew up in Vancouver as well. Where abouts are you in the lower mainland?
Sounds like we have similar stories when it comes to interest in Ducs. I've wanted one since I was 16 or 17 (a long time ago) and it took a while to get mine.
The 748 has a certain appeal but personally I like the newer xx9 models. They took a while to grow on me but I swear they look like nothing else on the road. Of course most Ducs don't. And yes I'm a bit biased since I have a 749 and it's my second Duc in 2 years but I digress.
Anway, again welcome. I think there's a Duc shop in Richmond still isn't there?

mikimoto
07-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Aloha Yinger!

I love the looks of the 748 - but what you're going to love the most is the infamous handling of the Ducati's. I hear BC has a lot of great twisties, so you'll have a blast with a 748.

Second to that - you're going to love this forum. There's always something happening so be sure to check in daily.

I've gotta ask you, have you ever heard of the Hot Chicks of BC? It's a motorcycle group composed of women. The leader is a girl named Julia, she rides a Hayabusa, and run's/owns the Flying Swan Coffee House.

Miki

Holeshot
07-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Yeap.. I've owned some of the *lates and greatest* liter bikes of years past and sure.. they were light or powerful but none have yet come close to the pure joy that is my SBK.

Sure, I could have driven the 15 miles across town to get an oil filter for it but what fun is that? Suited up and hit the road on the beloved Duc and enjoyed every second of it.. :)

lll0228
07-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Welcome Yinger! Hope your dream will come true soon. The 748 is also my dream bike, but I can't ride it (too tall) nor afford it (too expensive). LOL

Make sure you check out the DOC membership goodies once you get your bike!

DJS
07-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi Yinger hope you find what you're looking for. I ride a red 2000 748S monoposto and think it's the best superbike ever made! I own two other bikes but nothing compares to how the 748 performs or sounds. Sure you can get a nice Japanese litre bike for the same price or even a '04-'05 600 with some mods but riding the Ducati will far more satisfying. I often tell people if they ask, if I had to do it all over again I would have just bought the 748S straight away rather than buying a R6 then the Ducati. Would have saved me lots of money. And yes the 748 will be slower and have less HP but who really cares. It's really about using what you have and knowing how, not how big your HP numbers are or how fast you can get down the straights. You will love the 748 and how stable and agile it is. The Ducati is heavy, low on HP and slow but the way it feels, rides and performs will never bore you.

My third bike is a '00 CLE Yamaha R6 track bike. It super fun too but in a different way. So let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Bafazane
07-29-2004, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE=lll0228]Welcome Yinger! Hope your dream will come true soon. The 748 is also my dream bike, but I can't ride it (too tall) nor afford it (too expensive). LOLQUOTE]

Neat! I've always wanted a 748 as well, but just got a Monster 620. Is there something linking these two bikes, or do we both just have really good taste in bikes? ;)

Bong
07-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Welcome Yinger, you will absolutey love the 748. I had a 1997 version and was completely blown away by its smooth engine and sublime handling. You have access to awesome roads north of you, keep us informed of your riding experiences once you pick up your 748. And don't worry about not having the most hp, there's nothing like the feeling you get riding a duc in the twisties!

RockStar
07-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Salam Yinger. Welcom to the group. I can't say much more than has already been said. My 748 was and is my dream bike. The dull drone lulls me into a calm focus just before it lets out a wildcat-like scream at the top of the Tach. A predator's prowess flows through me as we stay close on the heels of my prey.

When we're done we go get a cup of coffee where RockStar enjoys the crowd of onlookers while I'm inside re-fueling.....

Yeah it's ok.

Curt999
07-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Welcome Yinger. I'll be passing through your neighborhood tomorow on my way up to Whistler. You asked the question, What would you do? Buy the 748 man as soon as you are capable of doing so. I too have been in love with Ducati's since the first day I saw a 916. When I was in a place in my life that I could buy one, being the prudent type, I bought a ST-2 thinking it would be more practical yet still a Ducati. Although it was a fabulous bike, it just didn't scratch that itch I had to own a superbike. I traded it off for a 998 less than a year later and took a huge derpreciation hit. But no one will ever tell you owning a Ducati is a good investment. Not what it's about. Never regreted a minute of it.

Holeshot wrote: It's not a 999 but it's paid for....
Cmon holeshot, don't sell us short here. You know all those XX9 owners think to themselves, "it's no 998, but it's a Ducati" :tongue10:

Curt 998

yinger
07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Wow~ I am absolutely speechless. With all the supports from you guys, and girl (miki), the anticipation of posessing a Ducati that lures inside of me is just getting stronger and stronger. Another thing I came to realized is the Ducati culture, . . . i don't know how to describe it, but it just feels great to be part of it!

Miki: Yes, I've heard of the hot chicks. Julia owns that purple Hayabusa, unfortuantely her boyfriend Bog had passed away in a motorcycle accident. You can watch the tribute from BCTV with this link:
http://s95189841.onlinehome.us/Bog's_Ride_Global.wmv

Thanks for all of the wonderful reply. Now i am just excited to drive down to DNW on August 5th, and that's my birthday. . it's all meant to be :p

Holeshot
07-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Wow~ I am absolutely speechless. With all the supports from you guys, and girl (miki), the anticipation of posessing a Ducati that lures inside of me is just getting stronger and stronger.

Thanks for all of the wonderful reply. Now i am just excited to drive down to DNW on August 5th, and that's my birthday. . it's all meant to be :p

I failed to mention that I have lusted for the 916 since I first saw one 1995.. and that was a year before I started street bikes! In fact I saved the add from the 1995 Motorcyclist that showed the 916. I framed it... 1995.. and it STILL hangs in my office. :)

The story of how I ended up with the 998 is interesting (at least to me because it was so unbelievable). After I test-rode one I *KNEW* that I had to get one.. within weeks another literally showed up at my doorstep with the wonderful guy riding it making me an offer SO awesome I could not refuse. It was a big financial hit to shell out that much money with little pre-planning.. and there were times when I thought I might have to sell it, thankfuly things worked out perfectly.

I've not regreted a single day with the bike. It was everything I wanted.

Every year I'd lust for a new high-tech light-weight bike, buy it and then get bored and sell it after finding myself surfing websites and reaing reviews about the next great thing. Just the other day (after riding it to the store and back) I thought to myself that since I bought the 998 I've barely looked at another bike and when I have they were all (save for the Mille R Factory) Ducatis.

Oh.. I'll be down there Aug 5. Get your ticket to ride and test ride some of these things. Look for the fat dude in black/yellow leather hanging around the DesmoNW tent.
:happy57:

yinger
07-29-2004, 11:21 AM
The story of how I ended up with the 998 is interesting (at least to me because it was so unbelievable). After I test-rode one I *KNEW* that I had to get one.. within weeks another literally showed up at my doorstep with the wonderful guy riding it making me an offer SO awesome I could not refuse. It was a big financial hit to shell out that much money with little pre-planning.. and there were times when I thought I might have to sell it, thankfuly things worked out perfectly.

I've not regreted a single day with the bike. It was everything I wanted.

Every year I'd lust for a new high-tech light-weight bike, buy it and then get bored and sell it after finding myself surfing websites and reaing reviews about the next great thing. Just the other day (after riding it to the store and back) I thought to myself that since I bought the 998 I've barely looked at another bike and when I have they were all (save for the Mille R Factory) Ducatis.

Oh.. I'll be down there Aug 5. Get your ticket to ride and test ride some of these things. Look for the fat dude in black/yellow leather hanging around the DesmoNW tent.
:happy57:

Thtat's such a cool story of how you end up with your Ducati! And you are so right, every year the bikes just gets lighter and faster, especially the Japanese bikes. Then a year down the road, everyone will crave for the next year's model. In the case for ducati, it's totally different. Even as time goes by, years goes by, the Ducati will still keep it's value and the ceaseless design.

And yes! I'll definitely be stop by the DesmoNW tent! :) Cya there!

Jim is Cool
07-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I think you are all on crack. The best Duc built is the SuperMono.

mikimoto
07-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Julia owns that purple Hayabusa, unfortuantely her boyfriend Bog had passed away in a motorcycle accident. You can watch the tribute from BCTV with this link:

I watched the newscast from your link - it was so sad. I feel so bad for Julia as I think she is hands down the coolest chick on a bike. She's done so much to promote and encourage other girls to ride.

Miki

monstergirlee
07-29-2004, 02:18 PM
welcome Yinger!

charlotte

Jeemo
07-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Yinger! I'm new to the forum as well (a couple days ago). I have long since envied those more fortunate than me, those in possesion of the simple three syllable word. Ducati. Finally my chance came about three weeks ago when I became the smiling ear-to-ear owner of a '99 yellow 748S with 2,600 miles on it! I gushed about it to people who had no idea what I was talking about. And yet it didn't stop me! I already have over 3,600 miles on it now, in just a few short weeks of ownership. The exhaust notes are pure music, the deep roar and then gentle burbling (stock exhaust has had some modifications to the baffling inside and it sounds great- more like a 916 or 996!, fed by a hi-po foam type air cleaner over the intakes underneath the tank). I have had many Japanese bikes and I can tell you I'm most impressed by this Ducati. From the classic Italian body design, the engine roar, to the suspension. It may be heavier but it literally feels lighter, much tighter, and more in control.
My only complaint so far is the tight clutch lever, it can be a chore in traffic conditions. But, having said that I think it's hands down one of the nicest bikes out there (not mine necessarily but Ducati's in general) and that you will not be sorry if you manage to get your hands on one. I can keep my eye open down here if you want me to, it's not That far :)
BTW, nice website!
Click on my name and click view all posts by member to hear more about what I've said about the bike already (I'll spare everyone else the repetition). Good luck in your superbike search! Jeemo

darkduc
07-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Jeemo, get the evoluzione clutch slave cylinder ASAP. It's awesome! I installed one last week and my clutch action is much silkier and lighter than stock. They claim a 20% reduction in pull resistance. I didn't expect it to be sooo much nicer but it is. Easy to install too!

:D

Jeemo
07-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the tip darkduc! Sorry to hijack thread Yinger! :o

Jeemo
07-29-2004, 10:38 PM
One last thing Darkduc (sorry Yinger) where did you get yours and how much? Thanks! J

darkduc
07-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Sure! Tell everyone! They rock!

Ducati Seattle had one black anodized one in and I bought it for $179 plus tax. I'm sure they'll order more. Or, you can mail order it for the same price plus shipping from http://www.evoluzione.net/vitem90041.htm (http://www.evoluzione.net/)

mikimoto
07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
One last thing Darkduc (sorry Yinger) where did you get yours and how much? Thanks! J

I'm still thinking "maybe" on the evo clutch - so where and how much?

- Sorry about the hijack, Yinger.

Miki

Zach
07-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Yinger, welcome. I dig the enthusiasm. You're very lucky to be living so close to so many empty, fantastic roads, I'm truly jealous. No guys & gals, nothin' around here compares to BC...

My story of becoming a Ducati owner? It all started with a coupla Suzukis...I bought my first one (first bike) on a whim. A friend had been nagging me for 3 STRAIGHT YEARS to buy a bike. I was hanging at his house one day while he was selling one of his bikes & a buyer came up on worn looking '90 Kan-a-tuna 750. My buddy asked if it was for sale, the guy decided it was, within a few moments I'd agreed to fork over $1,000 the following day.

After about 6 months of ownership learning to ride & making the bike work correctly, I traded it on a new 2000 SV650. Sean worked his butt off & stayed late to close the deal that night. R.I.P. man. The SV was a great bike (terrible stock suspension) with a different kind of motor than what I typically thought of as a motorcycle engine. That 650 90 degree v-twin had great torque down low & throughout the rev band.

A few months after SV ownership, I took a 3 week vacation to Europe. While in northern Italy, I was hanging out for the weekend with an Italian friend. Deciding how we'd spend the weekend, he mentioned a local Ducati boutique (Ducati Vicenza - sales only) was having a demo day: M900, 900SS, ST2 & ST4 available. Sorry, no Superbikes :) Ducati Vicenza has a beautiful showroom, hardwood floors, contempory styling, very classy place to sell Ducatis.

Still considering myself a newish rider, I went for what I thought was the least intimidating ride, an M900. I figured it wasn't too much larger or powerful than my SV, so I thought I'd be ok. Immediately upon firing the motor, I knew I was on a very special bike. I could feel each spark plug igniting the fuel mixture, driving each piston through the bore & creating that wonderful Desmo symphony. Trying to take a left turn out of the parking lot onto a busy Italian village street on a brand new Ducati was nerve racking at the time. The bike had such great response & feel, I was blown away. I finally got out on the road & caught up with my friend Luca, he was waiting up the hill doing a huge smoking burnout on the ST4...then took off on the rear wheel. We zipped through Vicenza's town square where a bicycle race was being held. All traffic was being stopped for the race, but the Carabiniera let us two Ducati riders through! Passing on the outside of uphill narrow corners & riding at speeds that would definitely land your ass in jail here...I just tried to do my best to keep Luca & the ST4 in sight. It was such a hysterical ride...following an Italian rider on an Italian sportbike, in Italy, and I'M on an Italian bike to boot!

After about a 20-30 mintue ride, we returned to take out different bikes. I grabbed the ST4 & Luca opted for the 900SS. Turning in to an oval shaped round-a-bout, I dropped the ST4 in to 2nd (doing my best to match the revs), tipped the bike in, & rolled on the throttle nearing the mid-point of the corner. The rear end stepped out beautifully, if not unintentionally. The bike was totally solid & I didn't get freaked out at all. I felt like Superman, that was waaaay too easy! Back at the dealer the line for test rides had grown too large & we were denied further test rides by the gorgeous girl working the demo booth.

I left with an overwhelming feeling of a NEED for a Ducati. 2 months after being home I low sided my SV on Ames Lake Road & it was run over by an F-150, breaking the frame just behind the forks, separating the bike in to two large pieces. Remember those pics Jim? Another month passes, I & rode out of Ducati Seattle on the 28th of July, 2000 at about 6pm with my brand new, '99 900SS.

Since then, Bionda & I have covered 45,000+ miles together. All over Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Northern California, Western Montana, BC & Alberta. I've only had 1 break down...a French made rear wheel bearing completely gave up the ghost at about 35,000 miles. Not too bad...

I'm hoping to flip the odometer eventually & ride it until it's worn out. Then, rebuild & restore it :)

Hope you get your 748 soon!

Cheers,
Zach

yinger
07-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Hi Zach,

what a story! I'd love to visit that Italy Ducati Boutique. And you surely did racked up a lot of milage on your 900ss. You are also right, BC definitely got tons and tons of great open road for riding. I am looking out for my Duc right now, and I'll definitely celebrate once I bring her home!

Holeshot
07-30-2004, 07:15 AM
I have had many Japanese bikes and I can tell you I'm most impressed by this Ducati. From the classic Italian body design, the engine roar, to the suspension. It may be heavier but it literally feels lighter, much tighter, and more in control.

Funny how about the weight. I came off a 929 (arguably one of the lightest performance bikes made of late). The 998 is easier to push around, feel lighter to me in the 'side to side' test and on the road the thing is just part of me! The spec sheets say it's fatter and slower but the way it rides you won't believe it! :)

Oh.. and the sound of the exhaust. Now this really is true... (most think I'm kidding). The day the bike arrived the neighbors came over to check it out. I fired up the bike and the neighbor wife got this weird look (tool loud??). She kept looking at the bike while I was talking to her husband about it. When I tured it off she immeadaly offered me $100 to ride the bike next door and leave it with them for an hour so they could have sex on it.
:evilgrin3 She said she'd never heard a bike sound like that before it had made her "randy".

Really... Ducati's have a pretty specail sound.. that's for certain!!!!

Jim is Cool
07-30-2004, 08:51 AM
2 months after being home I low sided my SV on Ames Lake Road & it was run over by an F-150, breaking the frame just behind the forks, separating the bike in to two large pieces. Remember those pics Jim?
Cheers,
Zach

Dude, I still think we coulda buffed that out................

RockStar
07-30-2004, 09:12 AM
...The 998 is easier to push around, feel lighter to me in the 'side to side' test and on the road the thing is just part of me! ....

If stock shares were valued at the ability of the Ducati engineers who have mastered the art of placing the engine to take optimum advantage of center of gravity with rider positioning.....DMH shares would have split every year. Non?

...."randy".

ROFL! I'm laughing with you man! hee hee. Hardley's like to brag about this....I just tell them "you don't even know....."

CINDESMO
07-30-2004, 10:42 AM
You must have a vented clutch cover - the beautiful rattling will distract you from the pain in your hand :happy44:

RockStar
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
ok I tried to be cool and just send my auto-sig...but The Man says I gotta type something...(see auto-sig for smug reply ;)