PDA

View Full Version : Is it supposed to do that?

darkduc
07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
So the other day when Trenton and I were leaving DS, I pulled up along side a paint shaker, .. I mean Harley Soft Tail. I see the Harley rider look over at my bike with a quizical look on his face and look back at the light. Then he does it again. And again. By the third time I caught his gaze and he pipes up, "Is it supposed to do that??" He was referring to the noise coming from my vented dry clutch. :D hee hee!

I just said, "yep." and the light changed.

I wish I would have had time to say, "mix any paint lately?"

RockStar
07-29-2004, 09:11 AM
ROFL. I had a ninja rider say that to me once....just before I left him at the light (I have a stock cover though, not as impressive ;)

Bong
07-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I remember back to my first duc, a 93 900SS, all the looks I would get at gas stations wondering if my bike was broken. "Sounds like a loose bolt" was what most people said. I guess it's part of the mystique for me, the dry clutch rattle is pure music to my ears!

DJS
07-29-2004, 09:24 AM
That is so funny. I have people say that also on occasion. Then I launch into the whole story of dry clutch vs. wet and then they feel sorry they ever asked. Hey, didn’t/don’t some H-D’s have dry clutches too?

RockStar
07-29-2004, 09:28 AM
when you see them on the side of the rode and the rider is scratching his head....it's a dry clutch. (ok, ok just kidding).

In all fairness: This dude riding a Sportster pulled up next to me at a light and leaned over...He looked at me and said, "sorry, I just love the sound they (Ducs) make". :D

DRS
07-29-2004, 09:58 AM
yeah, before when i had my vented cover on i'd love pulling up next to people in traffic when they've got their window down and trying to talk on their cellphone.... dirty looks all the way.....

DJS
07-29-2004, 10:13 AM
I LOVE DOING THAT! Especially to the all the hipsters talking on their cell phone. But the best is when you’re on the freeway and someone cuts you off and there happens to be an open lane next to them. My 748 w/ Termi’s sounds soooper loud at just over 6k rpm. I park right next to them, pipes in their face and with their windows down it has gotta be loud. I guess I’m just passive aggressive. :p

Torben
07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I've had a lot of people ask if my bike is broken. I usually respond in my usual smart ass tone but saying no I just run real low octane because I like knocking and pinging.
Paint shakers have loud pipes and low low RPMs and for some reason shift into 3rd before they reach 35 MPH. We have loud clutches and as we all know, loud clutches save lives :evilgrin3

RockStar
07-29-2004, 10:27 AM
....."and I arose to [sic] hear such a clatter, 'looked up and what did I see? Seven tiny clutch covers from DesmoNW.com all with stickers that read 'for your courtesy!'......

Ho ho ho :D

mikimoto
07-29-2004, 11:20 AM
I LOVE DOING THAT! Especially to the all the hipsters talking on their cell phone.

Now that's FUNNY! Unfortunately I do not have a dry clutch. So when I pull up to a traffic light and someones yakking on their cell phone, I start revving the engine - they look over at me with aggravation in their eyes. (I'm so creepy!) :evilgrin3

Miki

Mat
07-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Not that anyone cares but every cage on the road has a dry clutch and the majority of BMW's still on this planet had/have dry clutches. It is a dry MULTI-PLATE clutch that gives our Ducks their unique 'sound signature'. I'll bet that the engineers that gave us our desmo-gizmos could quell that noise but probably at a weight and efficiency penalty. The Ducati Gods have seldom been willing to make that trade....
[B]thank heavens!!!!!
So sweet....
if you have to ask about 'that sound',
you probably need a Honda.

Holeshot
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
If you have to ask about 'that sound',
you probably need a Honda.

Hm.. I see a new T-Shirt slogan.....

Torben
07-29-2004, 12:45 PM
:happy44: I like it

CINDESMO
07-29-2004, 02:43 PM
I would buy a shirt that said "Loud Clutches Save Lives". :)

ducfoot
07-31-2004, 11:07 AM
I arrived at work yesterday with the new vented cover, and before I even shut it off, someone said "It's louder" and "Is something wrong with your bike?"
Another of the many joys of ownership. I love this!

Squidley
08-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I'v been at a couple of motorcycle (BMW) events on me Duc and had a lot of people comment on the rattlebox, my standard reply is "Oh, I forgot to oil the clutch." This seems to satisfy them... ;). They either hate me or they love me.