PDA

View Full Version : collectable bikes

foggy123
10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
On another Board, the discussion is about whether someone should/would ride a rare/collectable/limited bike? Some feel that a supermono, a 996R, 998r, etc. should be kept stock and pampered. I feel like you buy bikes to ride not to display and you should use them upto your own abilities.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Which would you rather have a 851 tricolor with no miles or one with nice upgrades in great shape that had be ridden? Or pick any bike for that matter.

Torben
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
My personal opinion is bikes are to be ridden. I saw 999Rs in Italy last year that had been ridden into the ground, and lovingly so. There's certainly the aspect of buying a rare machine as an investment, but I see little joy in that. I guess I never got into the "collector" mentality so I don't understand spending gobs of money on a machine which has a purpose, but will never be fulfilled for fear of damaging it or something. Of course in hind sight I sure wish I'd kept my Wayne Gretzky rookie cards.
I say ride it and enjoy!

Davidé
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I am all for admiration of the machine, but please, bikes are made to be ridden. Who doesn't love seeing a "well loved" bike?

Habanero
10-11-2006, 04:40 PM
It's a person's bike to do with as they please, if they spent their dough on it.

Twenty years from now if you find a pristine Paul Smart with 1,500 miles on it...and you get buy it, you'll love that collector that didn't ride it much.

If I could afford it, I'd love to have several bikes to ride, and a collection of bikes that are babied.

But, yes, I do love to see a bike with a ton of miles on it that is well loved and cared for....particularly when it's mine, and I can appreciate all the places we've been together.

Davidé
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Twenty years from now if you find a pristine Paul Smart with 1,500 miles on it...and you get buy it, you'll love that collector that didn't ride it much.
This is very true. Don't get me wrong: I do not think that all bikes should either be ridden or smelted into doorstops and hood ornaments! People are (and should) be free to do with their property as they choose (so long as it doesn't violate public policy, or is illegal, etc.).

The collector that buys a PS1000 sport classic and chooses not to ride it or not to ride it much is as much an admirer of the motorcycle as he or she is a market-maker. Only time will tell whether investing/abstaining from riding that particular bike will pay off. ;)

Bong
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I can appreciate both aspects of the argument here, but as Matt has already quoted me.... I can't afford to have the 996R just sitting in the garage. I will ride it and maintain it well, fully enjoying every moment I get to ride a so-called rare duc. I can tell you one thing, experiencing this R in it's environment sure is a thrill!

9Mile
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
My 888 ltd #38 of about 75 in the US will be ridden...But not on rainy nasty days, and I may put the pristine stock bodywork back in the boxes and keep them pristine...But we'll see!

wsuduc
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Personally I would love to have a 998 (any breed) and ride it into the ground then when a new desire(dream) comes along polish it up and have it as a piece of artwork in my living room.

This way I could have both worlds, a bike that I rode the nuts off and a piece of artwork that will have some great stories.

Granted, it would not be a collectors item any longer but it would be in my eyes and that is really all that matters right?

ddix
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
If you want to look at them, buy a photo and hang it on the wall. They are ment to ride and enjoy no matter what your riding level! 2005 999R (4500 miles) 1997 SPS (16,500 miles). Clean them up when your done and admire them after you ride with a good glass of wine in your hand.

wtate
10-11-2006, 10:31 PM
When I was purchasing mine I asked a wise owner of a Ducati Dealership about resale. (Not that the answer either way could have swayed by decision at that point) He responded by saying "Bill, it's not an investment, it's a motorcycle." Truer words were never spoken.
Although I don't have nearly enough skill to tap into the true capabilities of my bike I know that it is significantly happier out on the road than stuck in a climate controled garage, at least that's what She said, we do talk to one another...........

Nathan
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm all down for keeping it clean and all but half the fun for me is to see how dirty and how many bugs I get on it before I clean it. Isn't that fun coming home from a trip and looking at the bugs splatered all over the front that could be from a totaly different state?

Mitch
10-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Good replies :) .

Sorry to quote you Bong :o , but I thought you summed it up pretty well on the lengthy drive back from Miller - "I'm not rich enough to own this bike and just sit around looking at it. I've got to ride it to get my money out of it!".

That's pretty much how I feel about buying anything of high quality. Pay for it and use it!

Of course, if I were independently wealthy I would probably have a few extra bikes in the garage (although not as many as Fabio :scared10: :confused: , I saw him on some TV show and he has a collection of 200+ bikes)

Ciao

Dr. Duc
10-12-2006, 07:15 AM
I have a Paul Smart. I ride it - a lot. I've had it less than five months and it should turn over 10,000 miles by this weekend. I ride it rain or shine. My attitude about is that the bike was constructed to commemorate an important achievement in Ducati's history and as an owner of one of those bikes I have the opportunity, perhaps even an obligation, to ride it so that people will see it. Some of them will be familiar with the history and seeing the bike will trigger them to recall it thereby helping to the keep the memories alive. For those who are not familiar with the history, I get to tell them the story and may even recruit some new members into the Ducati fold.

To me, the bikes are meant to be ridden and, personally, I'd rather buy a rare bike that has been ridden and meticulously maintained and/or upgraded than to buy a stock one with no or very few miles on it.

It was people's experiences riding Ducatis that made them legendary and desirable, their beauty is secondary to how they perform. I doubt seriously if any of us would be as passionate as we are about our bikes if they did not perform and didn't leave us feeling the way that we do during and after riding them.

So, all of that is a long-winded way of saying that my vote is to ride them hard and pamper them with loving maintenance and well thought out modifications and upgrades and some day (in the distant future), someone else will probably be willing to pay a handsome price for your rare bike or at least a fair price for an outstanding example of a more common model.

Red Label Moto
10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Every time I look up at my never started or ridden euro-market 998R I am reminded of my favorite all-time riding experience. That experience happened over the course of a couple months in late 2002 when I had this bike and 2 other identical ones. One of the others I sold when new and it very quickly left for Japan. The other I rode quite a bit, 1000 kilos or so. Again, my favorite ride ever.

That bike (the 1000 kilo one) was purchased from me by the owner of Motocorsa in Portland and is on display there. He has never ridden it. You can just see it here in this pic on their website behind the giant Loris wall:

http://www.motocorsa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.default

Why don't I ride the one I have? I don't know. I think maybe I like remembering it in it's state of perfection. I'm lucky enough to be in a position to get to operate/own the latest greatest thing on 2 wheels when they come out or very shortly thereafter. The newer bikes are better, no doubt. This way, when I look at the 998R in it's perfect, factory original and unblemished state, it will always be top dog as long as I don't ride it and allow comparison to the new bikes. The 4-year old memory of it being my favorite ever will not fade, but if I was going back and forth from it to the newer stuff as it comes out, well, maybe it would.

It's like going out with your girfriend from 1986 except she is exactly the same as you remember.

Those are my reasons, such as they are, for having a ridiculously expensive toy that doesn't get operated in the conventional or traditional sense. At least I am not alone in this affliction, this I know from being in the industry. Just yesterday a truck arrived with an '02 MV Agusta 750 F4S that, would you believe it, had never been ridden by the owner:

http://www.redlabelmoto.com/details.asp?srID=191

Of course he bought the full whammy racing exhaust for the little beastie... and you thought Ducati parts were expensive.

This is an age old debate to which there are many viewpoints. I've always said to each his own as long as the other enthusiasts as sick as I am remember to call me when they need their fix.

neilacarter
10-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I am in agreement with others who have already stated my opinion, "I don't make enough money not to ride the hell out of my bike." But, were I filthy rich? I'd just own a bunch of bikes that I'd ride with equal enthusiasm... my bike is apart of who I am, apart of my personality and all of my family and friends see that. If I owned 50 bikes they would all be apart of my personality in some regard and I would ride them all with equal abandon. There is nothing quite as satisfying as seeing another Ducati or motorcycle enthusiast on the road and having that "brothers/sisters in arms" moment with them - be it for 50 feet or 50 miles. I don't have to know any of your names, where you are from, what you do for a living... if you own a bike and you love to ride that machine we're family. That's why I personally couldn't let a beautiful machine sit silently. But, to each their own and I respect everyone's personal choices on the matter.

On a side note.. that '02 Agusta is so ridiculously sexy. Me likey.

Neil

sport1000
10-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I like to ride my bikes and I take care of them so that if the time ever comes, that they would be valubale to someone else I still don't know that I would sell them. They will, by that time, have a lot of memories and loving care poured into them, and it might be hard to part with them. Long story short, if I take care of my bikes it shouldn't matter if they have miles on them they should still run correct. And I hope a collector. (Probably wishful thinking anyhow)! Oh well ride the heck out of them.:D

DucNuts
10-13-2006, 07:45 AM
I just have to say something here about this collectable bikes thing. It has interesting parallels with what I do for a living, I build high end custom pistols and I have customers who just put them in the safe to show to their friends and I have customers who shoot the crap out of them. I build them to do what they are designed to do and that is shoot. Ducati builds bikes for the perpose of riding and in my mind, if a customer of mine does not shoot his pistol then the circle is not complete and if I do not ride my Ducai the way it was ment to be ridden then the circle is not complete. I have an 02 euro 748R that I bought last fall new and (it is street leagle) so I have put 6000 miles on it while putting miles on my ST4s also. I tour on the R and will take it to the track. To me, this is what makes the bike and me happy. To each his own and I respect others opinions but I build pistols to be shot and Ducati builds bikes to be ridden. This just makes sence to me.

charon
10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I build high end custom pistols

Sounds neat. Do you have a website?

Dave R
10-13-2006, 11:05 AM
So I read all this talk about how everyone rides the wheels off your Ducati's yet when someone proposes a ride http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3434
nobody seems interested or even responds ! :indiffere We are lucky to have this weather we are having in October, why not join in with Davide this Saturday and go have some fun before the weather really turns for the worst !

Mitch
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Work = :(

DucNuts
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
my web site is, www.morriscustompistols.com. my intention was not to advertise but just make a point of some kind??? thanks.
and Dave, if I weren't 6 hrs away and going hunting I would ride wig ya.
Good Shooting,
Mark

charon
10-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I understood you weren't looking to advertise. Thanks for sharing the site. Those are some fantastic looking guns!

Rodney
10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I ponder the thougt as i bounce the tach of the rev limiter on my 998 bostrom ,but i still so enjoy dropping into a turn and powering out and driving it hard,It's tough but i gota ride