PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Rider

DirtyRonin
08-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey all,
I've been lurking on the messageboard for the past few weeks. I thought I'd finally post something and say hi. I'm a new rider and new owner of a 2004 Monster 620 Dark (black). Bought it at DS, great bunch of guys! I'm usually riding around Issaquah or in downtown Seattle.
-DirtyRonin

mikimoto
08-06-2004, 12:52 PM
A very big Aloha to you, Dirty Ronin.

The back roads of Issaquah (Fall City area) will be some great riding on your Monster Dark. Don't hesitate to post up, as we've got a great group of people on this forum.

Miki

DRS
08-06-2004, 12:55 PM
right on, welcome....

DJS
08-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Welcome Ronin, you will love this board. Lots of good stuff to be found here. Are you planning on making it to the Ducati track day September 17? It is sure to be good fun. The 620 is a sweet bike. Leo was nice enough to let me take his for a spin and it was super fun.

Bong
08-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Welcome aboard - as you have already seen there are lot's of riders here with similar passions for ducs as yourself. I had a chance to try out a Monster 620 on Hwy 97 and had a great time on it. It was light, nimble and very easy to ride. Congrats on your purchase.

RockStar
08-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Good on ya'. Hope to see you out and about.

Y.

lll0228
08-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the board! Make sure you remember to join the DOC and get all the cool stuff. :)

I ride the same bike as you, by the way, you won't regret it. It's so much fun.

Torben
08-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Welcome aboard! I like the user name - what's the inspiration if I may ask?

DirtyRonin
08-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Welcome aboard! I like the user name - what's the inspiration if I may ask?

It's the handle I use when I play online games (FPS/MMORPG). I used to use ronin but after the movie came out I was never able to get it back. Then I used DrunkRonin but some games rejected the name because of the word "drunk". Then I switched to DirtyRonin because I was always like the image of the wondering dirty ronin in those Toshiro Mifune fiilms.

lll0228
08-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Another Toshiro Mifune fans!!

mikimoto
08-06-2004, 04:15 PM
I was always like the image of the wondering dirty ronin in those Toshiro Mifune fiilms.

Right on! I loved that guy, truly a great loss for Japanese films when he passed away.

Miki

charon
08-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Woah, apparently I'm in good company. I didn't know there were so many Mifune fans here. Leo knows I'm a huge one. There's some great stuff on Mifune in Akira Kurosawa's autobiography for anyone interested.

mikimoto
08-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Geez - My favorite Mifune films were Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Hell in the Pacific, and he was "Shogun".

Sorry DirtyRonin for hijacking your thread - but you shouldn't have thought of such a cool username. ;)

Miki

jetgal
08-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Welcome, Ronin!
I had a 620 until this past spring. Handled wonderfully, very nimble and responsive. I loved the bike! There is one thing I would warn you about, however. I bought a new 2003 620 i.e. Dark, and after riding it home about 85 miles on a cool day, put it lovingly to bed in the garage. That night it puked battery acid all over the back cylinder and large parts of the frame. It was so bad the dealer took it back and gave me another Monster! I later found out that this battery failure had happened to several of the 620's in my area. Now before you freak--"my area" is Western Colorado. I'm sort of a lingering, or maybe, malingering, guest of this forum and its administrators.

If all you Monster folks have already reported this failure hundreds of times elsewhere in this venue, I apologize for the redundancy. But, Ronin, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your battery for seepage of any kind. The dealer wouldn't admit to any improper prep of the battery--and I had a good level of trust with the wrenches there--but who knows. Still, there were the other reports I heard around the dealerships in Colorado......

Didn't mean to place a cloud over your bike. Yours will probably never give a peep. My second one was absolutely trouble-free and a wonderful bike!

Charlie

Mat
08-06-2004, 09:42 PM
My 620ie is the sweetest bike I have owned in my 40 years of riding.
A little oil leak around the Bosch crank angle sensor in the early days is the
limit of the problems. Your problem is unique and may have something
to do with how full they fill the batteries in your area. I don't know.
But....it don't get no bettter...
I have and have had
Capriollo
Harley (2X)
Honda (5X)
Yamaha
Suzuki
Kawasaki (X4)
Norton
Triumph (x5)
Ducati (2X)
and my little Duck is the pure thing.....
let go of the battery thing and enjoy that sweetheart!

yinger
08-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Welcome welcome, Dirty Ronin!

You'll sure love this board! how do you like your monster? lucky you! i am still hunting my 748!

Keep as posted!

DirtyRonin
08-06-2004, 11:35 PM
I've put 1200 miles on it so far and loved every inch! Although I don't have much experience riding, it's been an excellent starter bike. I really think I can learn a lot on this bike.

p.s. I've also used QuickRonin and BlindRonin (for all you Zatoichi fans out there) :)

Mat
08-07-2004, 07:57 AM
I've put 1200 miles on it so far and loved every inch! Although I don't have much experience riding, it's been an excellent starter bike. I really think I can learn a lot on this bike.

p.s. I've also used QuickRonin and BlindRonin (for all you Zatoichi fans out there) :)

I know it is called by some, a "starter bike". Ridden right, that 620 will teach you new things for many years.
This may help you keep things in perspective.....that bike goes faster than any motorcycle available until the KZ 1000 came out in the late 70's and it handles better that any new bike available until the early 90's.
Hardly a 'starter'.
Welcome aboard!
Have you taken the Motorcycle Safety Training Course?
If not, you should give it a try....no one is ever too old to learn...they have advanced courses for the seasoned rider.
Ride to eat-Eat to ride ....or whatever.

DirtyRonin
08-07-2004, 02:55 PM
I already had passed the MSF course (got in two weeks after I bought the bike). I also have a few friends that are experienced riders help me out a lot (7 software engineers in my dept ride).

When I called the 620 a "starter bike" I didn't mean to put in the same class as the 250 ninja or anything. I meant to say it's very well balanced (power and handling) and it fits me a hell of alot better than say a new Suzuki SV650 (touchy throttle). And finally, damn it looks good :)

RockStar
08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Right on! I loved that guy, truly a great loss for Japanese films when he passed away.

Miki

...and the loss of Kurosawa himself. What a pair those two made in film!

If you get a chance listen to the commentary on the Seven Samurai DVD. Good stuff. There are some good notes on Mifune during the commentary.

Nice user name Dirty Ronin! Yosh!

Gemini
08-09-2004, 06:31 AM
jetgal brings up a good point... if you've got a monster with the GS battery, they have been known to leak which can cause some nasty damage. DNA has refused to recall it, but it seems a lot of people have had the problem (there's a 40-some page thread on ducatimonster.org).

So if you've got a GS batter, throw a battery mat in or replace it.

charon
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Geez - My favorite Mifune films were Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Hell in the Pacific, and he was "Shogun".

Miki

Rashomon is the undisputed best in my book, probably seconded by him as Musashi Miyamoto in Samuari I II and III.

Holeshot
08-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Greetings!! Following the track day and the obvious joy it provided me then 2 1/2 days on the beach with a house full of bikers my wife has decided she wants to ride... well NEEDS to ride.

We'll be starting her out on the DR250 (I think it's a good candidate.. I tried to get in trouble on it and it's super docile).

If any of you newbies (especailly women) would like to provide her some moral support I would be very appreciative of that. She's the type the goes in full-bore and wants to learn everything so she'll have a ton of questions. I'll do my best to answer them but I'm sure she'd like to get some feedback and suggestions/ideas (especailly where to get decent gear for a girl that certainly won't fit in a men's jacket).

I look forward to introducing a new rider to the group soon.. and perhaps one of her first bike will be a Ducati as well!!!!

If anyone would like to send her some e-mails of encouragement you can do so here: debby at marlinmedia dot com (I'm sure you can decode that)

mikimoto
08-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I look forward to introducing a new rider to the group soon.. and perhaps
If anyone would like to send her some e-mails of encouragement you can do so here: debby at marlinmedia dot com (I'm sure you can decode that)

I'm on it!!!! The girls of DNW will certainly take her under our wings.

Miki
:happy44:

Squidley
08-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Welcome Dirty R! The first bike is the most beloved of bikes, and only in mileage will you come to understand it.

And Holeshot, your wife can feel free to ask me anything as I'm a gal on a Duc. too. Not that I know much...

Holeshot
08-09-2004, 09:00 PM
WEEEE. She learned how to start and stop a bike and even managed to get it into 2nd gear!

Tommorrow I turn the sport-court into a mini-MSF range. She seems VERY excited! She did great and not a single droppage (yet... heheh). I guess I should get her to sign up on the board!! Dang.. and in all that I forgot to take a single picture! :confused:

Zach
08-09-2004, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Squidley] The first bike is the most beloved of bikes, and only in mileage will you come to understand it.

Uhhh....huh? How so?

Cheers,
Zach

Holeshot
09-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, she did it. And with a big grin on her face. Yesterday while she was taking the last part of the MSF course the kids and I went and used my (new) annual pass to the museum at Boeing field (jeez.. the questions a 5-year old girl will ask.. I was stumped...).

On the way back to pick up mom at the range in Tacoma we managed to watch her take her final riding exam and pass. It was so cool. I saw here to get the certificate, a handshake and then she jumped up and down and waved so we could see it.

Today.. she too her first street ride (I stayed home to watch the kids while she road). Sure.. I was a little nervous.. but I knew she'd passed the class and I'd worked with her beforehand. 20 min late I hear her putting up the drive. She got off with a HUGE grin on her face. She's hooked. Now she says she understands why we all talk about riding with such passion. Wow.. how cool is life!?!? :)

He're to newbie riders!!! :happy36:

Holeshot
09-06-2004, 03:53 PM
The first bike is the most beloved of bikes, and only in mileage will you come to understand it.

Uhhh....huh? How so?

Cheers,
Zach

Hm.. my take on this. Like a first love. Not likely to ever be your last but holds a special place. Not the highest but a place all it's own. I still fondly recall my first bike (an FZR600) and sure.. there are times when I think I want to get another one.. but alas.. you really can never go back... but like exploring love for the first time.. exploring that fist bike is a really special experience. Well, it was for me anyway.... YMMV! :D

Zach
09-06-2004, 09:07 PM
My first was a '90 750 Katana. I haven't missed a single bit of that bike :)

Zach

Holeshot
09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
My first was a '90 750 Katana. I haven't missed a single bit of that bike :)

Zach

Well, OK. That's totally different... :happy57:

Zach
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
I thought that'd help you see it my way ;-)

mikimoto
09-06-2004, 10:01 PM
That is fantastic - and that she went solo is even better. Whenever she's ready, tell her to email me.

Miki

lll0228
09-07-2004, 12:17 AM
My first bike was a Virago 250 (not counting the scooter). I still like it and have fond memory of it. It's nowhere close to riding the Monster, but it gave me the confidence to upgrade and practised everything before I got more power between the legs. It showed me how much respect I have to give to horsepower. Yeah, Squidley, I know what you mean. I'd still ride it for short trips if I have it...it's great looking, too.

Squidley
09-08-2004, 03:59 AM
My first bike was a '74 BMW 750, I rode the heck out of it, and modified it as my skill level increased, but alas, I came to the point where I could push the cow no furthur, and so I came to be a Ducatista. I'll take me awhile to master the S4 (long time). I relish the challenge.

I've seen so many people get motorcycles and never ride them.

Holeshot
09-08-2004, 10:01 AM
That is fantastic - and that she went solo is even better. Whenever she's ready, tell her to email me.

Miki

Will do! Thanks for the PM (sorry I've not replied.. work work work). She's SOO excited. We went out bike shopping yesterday. Looked at the SV650. Now we're looking for some Monster 620i and 620 Supersport bikes for her to check out but man.. talk about hard to find!!! We'll be calling Dave R. today is he back yet I wonder.

I'm sure she'll e-mail you soon. I've been dominating the office so she's not had a chance to use her iMac and check mail....
:D

lll0228
09-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Dave R is back, I saw him yesterday. And I think I still saw the 620 Matrix bike on the showroom floor....

darkduc
09-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I've seen so many people get motorcycles and never ride them.

I know what you mean. My father-in-law is a good case in point. He has a really nice Buell S3T but he never rides it. I helped him pick it out 2 years ago and at the time he was really into it but that has since faded. I had to help him charge up the battery (deader than a door nail) and take it out last weekend just so it could get a little mileage on it before winter comes. Terrible!

CINDESMO
09-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Some bikes are not that fun to ride or that easy to ride. Now that I have two fun bikes I come up with excuses to ride and I put off anything that requires driving.

Holeshot
09-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Somehow.. I get the feeling her first bike will hold a really special place in her heart..

http://demo2.marlinmedia.com/misc/debs_second_ride.jpg

Now.. before those wiser than me expound on how insane that is for a first bike.. I must say that I test road it very carefully first before I told her it would be a good ride. Really. I was as hamfisted as I could be with it.. rode it about as wrong as can be and surprisingly the bike is really mellow (until about 11k RPM.. then the thing is a satanic-beast - but there is SO much warning you won't get there by accident).

We just got back from our first ride together and her first her new ride (we had the shop deliver it - I didn't think it would be prudent to have her dealing with traffic on her first sports-bike. We live in the sticks so we took all the back roads (mostly 35 MPH max) hit some curves.. ran through some mid-corner water (on a 20 MPH uphander with gravel no less) and she handeld it all with confidence. She was going right at the speed limit the ENTIRE time (my poor bike was over-heating and sputtering like mad) but it was SOOOOOOO COOOOOLLL!!!! I'm just glad we got to go out for a ride before the rain hits. I'm going to encourage her to keep riding the DR too though.. you can never practice too much on different bikes.

Sniff sniff.. :D

Torben
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
What, no Duc?? :scared10:
That's so cool man - you're a lucky man. And don't worry about the things of an overpowered first bike - my first was last year and it was a 2003 SS800F and I'm still alive :D
Now you can all go on family rides!

lll0228
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Congrats! Just be very very careful on that thing. It does have a lot of power...

mikimoto
09-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Beautiful!!! That's one bike she won't outgrow, at least for a while.

Extend to her my congratulations!

Miki

Holeshot
09-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Congrats! Just be very very careful on that thing. It does have a lot of power...

Yeah.. it does.. but you have to wrap it up pretty high to get there. On the spec sheet it says it make only 5 HP less than my 998 :scared10: :scared10: but there is so little torque in the bottom end it's a pussycat until shees wrung out. Actaully.. it surprised me how guttless it felt in the low end :happy44:

Frame sliders are on order to help mitigate that eventual almost unavoidable drop...

What, no Duc?? :scared10:
That's so cool man - you're a lucky man. And don't worry about the things of an overpowered first bike - my first was last year and it was a 2003 SS800F and I'm still alive :D
Now you can all go on family rides!

Well we cast the net far and wide. In fact I had her try some last time at DucSea. The new 749/999 (aside from the fact they are superbikes) were just too much of a reach for her, as was the SV650 which I was steering her towards. Next we hit the local Honda/Duc shop and tried the CBR600F4i and a Monster. She said the rear tank on the Monster felt very weird to her, did not feel comfortable but the CBR600 was much better than the F4. It was $8200. Hrm.. And there are only 2 other used ones I could find in all of puget sounds.. both of them odded or crashed.. :(

Then by accident we found this NEW show just down the street from us. They only handle used 2000+ machines and whoa.. they had a ZX6R and a ZX6RR. Low and behold the bike fit her but man I though.. that's a freakking nutty machine and said I'd ride it and let her know if I thought it would be too much. You all know the rest.

Really.. if we could have found a good example 750 or 620 SuperSport to try out she might have been on that today but alas... this bike spoke to her. She said she'd have cried if that bike had been sold before we went back today.... bikes are such a passionat thing for me I just had to submit.. :)

Beside.. I think it's a hoot to ride too (nothing like the Duc at all). Buzzy as all hell but the thing is SOOO LIGHT and pinning it wide open on a corner exit and not feeling like the grim reaper was about to exact his tool has some appeal.. :)

DJS
09-09-2004, 04:02 PM
WOW!!! NICE bike. Is she a member here. If not she might consider signing up as Halfshot :p. It looks like a visit to the local shop is in order for some propper riding gear (jacket).

Ummm, Holeshot are you going to track it this 17th to make sure it’s safe for her to ride? :p

lll0228
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
That's right. BTW, I still have that Fieldsheer jacket...so if she is around my size, check it out... :) Red (matches color of the bike!), warm and very well made, waterproof, too.

phildo
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Excellent! Always great to see a female rider. Why don't more women ride??
I think that's great choice for a first bike. Way better than getting something gutless that she would be bored with after a few months...and like you said it's best to go with the bike that really speaks to ya :)

CINDESMO
09-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I think women tend to be more "practical". Ever noticed the young woman with the nice apt and a cheap car as opposed to the young man with a little bling car or truck living with three other guys?

If more women tried riding, definitely more women would ride. Plus, if you see women riding than you think of it as an option. I didn't know any women that rode. I did know some very dumb guys that rode and used that as my motivation - "it can't be that hard, so and so is dumb as a doorknob and he rides". Of course, those guys probably don't ride anymore because they were in accidents or scared themselves!

Holeshot
09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
That's right. BTW, I still have that Fieldsheer jacket...so if she is around my size, check it out... :) Red (matches color of the bike!), warm and very well made, waterproof, too.

Awesome! I guess I missed that post. Yeah.. we are having one heck of a time finding the jacket and pants she needs so badly! At least she's not in a bikini and high-heels riding the thing (at least not off our property anyway.. :evilgrin3 ).

DJS
09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Kinda like my finger accident. It was crazy...just had to add that in there Cind (haa-haa). Male/female at least we have a new rider. It’s sweet to talk to new motorcycles who are all excited about the sport and want your opinion. Cindesmo gives me lots of good things to think about and she is a fellow Ducatisti too...its a plus. And usually in the right.

Holeshot
09-09-2004, 04:56 PM
WOW!!! NICE bike. Is she a member here. If not she might consider signing up as Halfshot :p. It looks like a visit to the local shop is in order for some propper riding gear (jacket).

Ummm, Holeshot are you going to track it this 17th to make sure it’s safe for her to ride? :p

Man. I gotta be honest.. one of the first thoughts I had is *how fast can I get a hitch installed on my car so I can take both bikes to the track* hahah
:evilgrin3

DJS
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
That would be so sweet. I’m thinking about brining my race bike (R6) and Ducati down on the 17th. If it has to be on or the other I will bring the 748S down in support of DNW but I would really like to have my R6 down there so I can mix it up with Dave R on his new 748R. Ok, not really, he would smoke me and I would be sad. Not to mention his r has WAY more power! To be honest I'm a bit freaked to ride my Ducati on the track but I have been told to get over it and just ride it. :)

Holeshot
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
To be honest I'm a bit freaked to ride my Ducati on the track but I have been told to get over it and just ride it. :)

Yeah, so was I! But by the end of the first staight at PIR that was so over with.. :) Just take it easy if you're nervous. Really.. the only thing keeping us from going brankrupt is the fact the track-day season is nearly over for this year... :D

CINDESMO
09-09-2004, 05:17 PM
It’s sweet to talk to new motorcycles who are all excited

I enjoy talking to all motorcycles, new or old. Ha ha, DizzleS!!!

Congrats to your wife, Holeshot. That is very cool. It seems that the Kawasaki's fit women pretty well which is important.

mikimoto
09-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Motorcycling is a male dominated sport. It either takes a strong, independent woman OR a woman who's SO (who rides) is supportive, encouraging, and is somewhat knowledgable in the sport.

There aren't enough women and men that possess those qualities.

Miki

memovich
09-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Newbie.... all's realitive I say!
UR ~ Family of two wheeled animals will wave as they pass U.... love the Dark Look By the Way!)

Squidley
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
When I decided to get my first motorcycle I didn't know any riders, When I told people I was saving my $$ for a motorcycle the most common comment was "Your going to kill yourself!" Which startled me at first.

Now years later, I realize that a male wouldn't have heard that as much. Our society instills fear in women much more than in men.

And fear is really valid! (I still get scared a lot) It takes alot for us gals to break out of this.

Holeshot
09-11-2004, 07:37 PM
WEEEEEE!!!!

We just got back from buying her the proper gear for rinding. Of all places the local Honda dealer had a good asortment of womens gear and it's not crap either... very happy about that.

Plus I took the newbie bike out for a real ride today (about 90 min.) HOLY FREAKING COW PATTIES! That little 600 is SICK! :evilgrin3 it's so tame and controlable until you hit about 9500 RPM then the push back is intense and she's off like a bat out of Hades. Now I want to buy the othe one they had there so we have a pair of them to thrash around on (and make the Duc a track-only bike). Man... 600's have CHANGED A LOT since I cut my teeth on a '90 FZR600!!! :scared10: :happy44: :evilgrin3

Bafazane
09-14-2004, 05:14 PM
When I decided to get my first motorcycle I didn't know any riders, When I told people I was saving my $$ for a motorcycle the most common comment was "Your going to kill yourself!" Which startled me at first.

The same went for me. I heard that all the time, and I'm a guy!

I think that's true, though, that women who ride are marginalized by many men; which is too bad, since women who ride are cooler than those that don't.

Squidley
09-16-2004, 09:54 PM
women who ride are cooler than those that don't.
thanks Darlin! I like to think so! If misery loves company, than its good to hear you got troubled words buying your first bike...