PDA

View Full Version : What's the Story: Rocker Flaking, 2001 748?

BrianMSmith
12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Has everyone with a 748/916 had their rockers checked for flaking? How likely is the problem on a 6k mile 2001 748S? How is Ducati Seattle handling this problem? I've heard Ducati will pay for parts but not labor, true? If so, what is the cost to fix? Are the new replacement parts any better than the failed parts with flaked plating?

Thanks.

Red Label Moto
12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Has everyone with a 748/916 had their rockers checked for flaking? How likely is the problem on a 6k mile 2001 748S? How is Ducati Seattle handling this problem? I've heard Ducati will pay for parts but not labor, true? If so, what is the cost to fix? Are the new replacement parts any better than the failed parts with flaked plating?

Thanks.

1) Not everyone has had their bikes checked, no. It is rather like holding off on that pesky STD check since you might not like what the results are.

2) Somewhat likely, I would say. My prediction: 1, perhaps 2, need replacing.

3) Ducati Seattle is repairing them for customers at their normal parts and service rate, as far as I know, just like any Ducati dealer would. Just had a bike (a yellow '01 748S with 6k miles, wouldn't you know it) in there and it had 1 bad rocker and 1 bad camshaft. Paid the normal parts and shop time although in this case I had the cam repaired and we put it back in instead of a (gulp) $500 new cam.

4) No one offered to pay for my parts. Not that I was expecting that on a bike 3 years out of warranty.

5) I would figure another $250 to $600 on top of the normal 6k mile service fee depending on how many are flaked and whether or not you have any other damage.

6) Yep, the new OEM parts from Ducati are better than the flaked parts you are replacing. They aren't flaked at all. There are a thousand opinions on this and mine would be that if you don't want to mess around, buck up and replace them all with Megacycle units.

CINDESMO
12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
1) Not everyone has had their bikes checked, no. It is rather like holding off on that pesky STD check since you might not like what the results are.

:scared10: