PDA

View Full Version : Inattentive cager!!!!

knightsraven
01-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Sigh......

You can add me to the list of riders that got hit by distracted mothers driving a mini-van.

My story is quite simple, bought the bike of my dreams back in October, a 2006 S2R1000, Black with white stripe. Bought it from wildturkey, good man.

Rode it for some of October and put her away for the months of Nov and Dec. Since it was such a nice day on tuesday, I took her out of storage. Beautiful morning ride.

Anyways, morning ride was great, blue skies and sunny. Lunch ride was short but fun.

I was coming from a mexican restaurant, Rinconsito's. All I had to do was cross NE 24th Street to get to the other parking lot. Being very careful, especially at night, I waited for the line of cars on both sides to clear. It took a minute but I thought it would be safer.

No cars coming from the left and the last car from the right just passed and the light down the street on 140th just turned green. I had plenty of space. I pull out crossed safely and turned into the driveway slowly because I didn't want to lowside on the loose gravel. This woman driving a gold Honda mini-van clips my rear tire and exhaust throwing the bike out from under me and throwing me to the ground.

I was livid, I yelled, screamed, I was pissed. If I was going faster I don't how much more I could have been hurt or dead. If I was 1 sec slower, my right leg could have been crushed between the bike and bumper. 1 second quicker, I wouldn't be writing this.

I know it's an "accident" but that's my life and well being that she had threatened. I don't like that. I wasn't even in traffic, I had 4~6 inches of my rear tire that was beyond the curb. I don't understand how she could have hit me when she was going straight down the road! Hugging the rain gutter? A moment paying attention to her cell phone or yelling at her kid? I hate this.

If I had to have an accident on the bike, I'm glad that I didn't need an ambulance or ICU. I got away with brusing and very tender right elbow.

My Duc, well we'll see. She landed on her left side.
Damage upon visual inspection damage is not major, but lots of bits bent and scratched or missing.

I didn't get Bellevue PD out there since I wasn't badly hurt, now that I think about it, I probably should have. Her ins company (USAA, same as mine) doesn't seem be taking this seriously adding to my annoyance. I hate this too. Now it's the inconvience of getting my Duc fixed, and getting some medical attention (elbow pain) and fighting with insurance companies to pay for things. I really this part....

Anyways I needed a place to vent and I am glad this space exists.

ducmons
01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
dude, that really bites. i can sense the frustration and anxiety, and pain over the whole ordeal. just hang in there man.

my advice, go back to the spot if haven't already and document what happened. take pics, put your bike where it ended, try to find scars on the road, etc.... might come in usefull. make as many notes as you can.

wtate
01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
That sucks! Sorry to restate the obvious but it's about the only thing that seems appropriate.

As you said, things could have been much worse, even so I feel your pain.

Best of luck at the Dr. and with the Insurance company. Although we have a few decent days now and then it is a good time to work on the bike - a lot better than the end of May!

I'm sure you are wishing that it never happened and your bike was back in the exact condition it was prior to the spill but it may also be a good time to consider any mods you may have thought about - there has to be a silver lining someplace.

Sieg
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
No fun, hopefully it's your worst accident.

Your signature line has new meaning now.

SURVEYOR
01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry,
I would file a ploice report.
Did you get her info, the insurance company might take it more serious if there is a ploice report on file. It might raise her insurance rate.

Bill Anderson
01-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I sent you a PM.

Mitch
01-28-2007, 10:42 AM
+1 on filing a police report ASAP!

I've also heard an insurance company will try to stall, lowball, not take it as seriously if they cover both sides (can't say for sure though, as I've never experienced it personally)

Good luck and glad you came out in good shape.

knightsraven
02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. And to Bill, thanks for your offer on advice.

I just got word from the insurace co. and like I expected, they will total the whole thing. The good news is that it will be enough to purchase a brand spanking new S2R! :D However I do have the option to buy it back from the Ins as salvage.

I forgot to ask the adjuster whilst on the phone, and I had to leave a message when I callled back. Haven't heard back from him yet and I am a little anxious.

Maybe someone here could tell me how much I should expect to pay the INS co for my salvaged bike. New 2007 S2R 1000 is $9995, trade in (Blue book) is $5670. Should I expect salvage value to be $2000 or less for my 06 S2R 1000? :puzzled:

TIA!!!

Zak
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I totaled mine in January 2006, someone paid $3000 for it, the frame was cracked I did not think it was worth it. It would have cost me more to get it back to shape than buying a new one witch I did. good luck]

Bill Anderson
02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I just got word from the insurace co. and like I expected, they will total the whole thing. The good news is that it will be enough to purchase a brand spanking new S2R! :D However I do have the option to buy it back from the Ins as salvage.

My experience (twice) with USAA is that while they are slow to process a motorcycle claim, their settlements are very fair. :)

My advice: put the settlement $$$$ towards that red ST3 that is sitting at Ducati Seattle. :D

Mitch
02-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm just guessing, but I would expect it to be more than that - $2500-3K ish :puzzled:

Chuckracer
02-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Ya know, while around this topic...ya'll got some seriously bad drivers around these parts, doncha?
I rode for a couple hours today (Sunshine!! Kewl!!!) and quickly learned to drive for everybody else, cause they're morons!
OK, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, so it's not like I'm not good at heavy traffic, but riding in the heaviest Phoenix traffic is a dawdle compared to the over-populated two laners here.
This place will sharpen your skills! I'm apparently rusty...:scared10:

AM-A-Duc
02-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Ya know, while around this topic...ya'll got some seriously bad drivers around these parts, doncha?
I rode for a couple hours today (Sunshine!! Kewl!!!) and quickly learned to drive for everybody else, cause they're morons!
Understatement of the last 2 years. Not too many peeps "around these parts"
talk about it, donít know if it is fear or what but they do indeed suck. Totally indifferent to the fact there are others on the road. and they say Kalifornians are bad. HA:lostmarbles:

knightsraven
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Hopefully I will hear something back from the guy today. Hopefully I should hear back from him today. I'll let you guys know! :)

wsuduc
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
What a pisser! Sorry to hear about it.

I followed that bike and purchase and now this happens, yikes.

Are you planning on purchasing the bike back? Sounds like there is just enough damage to go mod crazy and make a true monster out of it!

knightsraven
02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I will say I have to agree. I rode all season long in Cali, and yes many of the drivers there are bad, but they were more aware of bikers coming around them (lane splitting). And I they actually move in the fast lane.

This morning was a grim reminder of how careless some of the cagers are. I was trucking along 405N doing 70 ish, and many of the drivers were curteous enough to move to the right and let me pass. However just passing 520 junction a 94 Turdcel guns it from the 520 on ramp and cuts his way into the fast lane in front of me. "I could read his plates" close. Not only did I and everyone else have to hit their brakes, he slows down. Then whilst slowing to 45mph, I see him fumbling around in his car, he lights a cigarette. Ugh! That lit my fuse (no pun intended). When it was clear I pull out to the far right lane and pass him, as I was attemping to pass, he speeds up. :jumping01

I had enough, I cut over back to the fast lane and continue on my way. So now I'm going too slow for him and this jack a$$ passes me in the HOV lane (he was a solo driver).:lostmarbles: I said to myself, whatever, not worth it and got off at the next exit and went in-town the rest of the way to work.

Now if I was on my bike, guess that wouldn't have happened because I would have been in the HOV lane and further down the road and may have never met him. Anyways sorry for the rant..... :p

OK, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, so it's not like I'm not good at heavy traffic, but riding in the heaviest Phoenix traffic is a dawdle compared to the over-populated two laners here.
This place will sharpen your skills! I'm apparently rusty...

Understatement of the last 2 years. Not too many peeps "around these parts"
talk about it, donít know if it is fear or what but they do indeed suck. Totally indifferent to the fact there are others on the road. and they say Kalifornians are bad. HA:lostmarbles:

knightsraven
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
:D :D :D :D Probably, my wife is not too happy about it. She used to ride. She says the bike may not be the same. I hope not.:happy57: MODS!!

I'm really leaning on buying it back. We'll see. I'll let you know.

What a pisser! Sorry to hear about it.

I followed that bike and purchase and now this happens, yikes.

Are you planning on purchasing the bike back? Sounds like there is just enough damage to go mod crazy and make a true monster out of it!

wsuduc
02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
This morning was a grim reminder of how careless some of the cagers are. I was trucking along 405N doing 70 ish, and many of the drivers were curteous enough to move to the right and let me pass. However just passing 520 junction a 94 Turdcel guns it from the 520 on ramp and cuts his way into the fast lane in front of me. "I could read his plates" close. Not only did I and everyone else have to hit their brakes, he slows down. Then whilst slowing to 45mph, I see him fumbling around in his car, he lights a cigarette. Ugh! That lit my fuse (no pun intended). When it was clear I pull out to the far right lane and pass him, as I was attemping to pass, he speeds up. :jumping01

Once and a while I put my "Bill Gates thinking about the future and technology hat on" and I think to myself.... :sign01:

I can't wait for the day we can look at someone doing exactly as you described and think "WTF are you doing!!!" and that thought will go to that person. Then the real beauty is he can't answer back, just hear me and everyone else cussing him out!

Hmm, maybe too much coffee this morning!

knightsraven
03-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Once and a while I put my "Bill Gates thinking about the future and technology hat on" and I think to myself.... :sign01:

I can't wait for the day we can look at someone doing exactly as you described and think "WTF are you doing!!!" and that thought will go to that person. Then the real beauty is he can't answer back, just hear me and everyone else cussing him out!

Hmm, maybe too much coffee this morning!

Oooh too funny!!! I just got my bike back from the shop. Now since it was salvaged by their insurance co, what are the next steps? I just got a letter from the DOL and that I need to get a permit to bring the bike in for inspection by the Sherrif?

Any idea how much that will cost me? How painful is that process? I don't want to ride her and get pulled over for whatever reason and there is some flag on her registration.

Thanks!!!

Bill Anderson
03-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Oooh too funny!!! I just got my bike back from the shop. Now since it was salvaged by their insurance co, what are the next steps? I just got a letter from the DOL and that I need to get a permit to bring the bike in for inspection by the Sherrif?

Any idea how much that will cost me? How painful is that process? I don't want to ride her and get pulled over for whatever reason and there is some flag on her registration.

Thanks!!!

Don't the bikes have to be inspected by the WSP before a salvage title can be issued by DOL? I believe there is a WSP facility in Bellevue which does this.

belikeh20
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I purchased my bike from the insurance auction. It was never laid down (theft recovery) until I got it. :mad: You need to call the WSP and set up an appointment to have the bike checked out & then they'll issue you. This is the challenging part because it's not like going in to get your emission checked. Depending on how busy they are you may not get an appointment for weeks or months. I live in Seattle & yes, Bellevue, is close but it is very busy. I ended up going to the one in Tacoma because at the time in 2004, I'd have to wait a month and a half. It was in October and it was so cold that day I had to stop by http://www.sbmotorsports.com/aboutus.htm & pick up a set of winter gloves for the ride home or I wasn't going to be able to squeeze the clutch or brake handles for that matter. They just make sure you have all the lights working and mirrors affixed.