PDA

View Full Version : North Bend Killer Deer

mikimoto
08-14-2004, 10:03 PM
So far this season, while riding my bike around North Bend, I've had three close encounters with deer. Usually in the early evening, once on North Bend Way (the main street thru the city) and Mt. Si Rd (the road that leads to my house). Today was the worst though, I'm going down my driveway (road) and a deer jumps out from behind my shed and about takes me out. I slam on the brakes, he passes approx 6" in front of me, then stops, turns to look at me, then bounds away.

So folks, when riding thru North Bend, take care - cause we have killer deer out here!

Miki

Bill Anderson
08-14-2004, 10:21 PM
So far this season, while riding my bike around North Bend, I've had three close encounters with deer. Usually in the early evening, once on North Bend Way (the main street thru the city) and Mt. Si Rd (the road that leads to my house). Today was the worst though, I'm going down my driveway (road) and a deer jumps out from behind my shed and about takes me out. I slam on the brakes, he passes approx 6" in front of me, then stops, turns to look at me, then bounds away.

So folks, when riding thru North Bend, take care - cause we have killer deer out here!

Miki

I missed a deer by about the same distance last fall in the Wallowa Mts. It also was in the early evening on the opening day of hunting season. Several deer had crossed the road in front of me earlier, so I was riding slow and on heightened alert. My friend Paul Geller of Ducati Designs was not so fortunate as one wiped out his ST2 last summer. Deer generally come out to look for food in the early evening. If you live or ride in deer county, you may want to avoid riding at that time.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

lll0228
08-14-2004, 10:48 PM
I recently read on a UW mailing list that modulating headlight would get the deers to run away, any experience?

Holeshot
08-15-2004, 02:46 AM
I met up with one of those things mid-corner out past Port Angelas (we actaully saw 3 on the road that afternoon but the big buck mid-corner really got my attention). Freaking unpredictable things. One jumped out in front of my neighbors truck down the street from use last fall. ICK! About the only thing worst than hitting a deer is smelling the aftermath.... :eek:

Mat
08-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't know if this stuff is on the web but I read a REAL GOOD deer eval in a cycle magazine about 5 years ago. From what I read, neither the little "ultrasonic deer warning horns' that you put on your bike/cage or the headlight modulator do one bit of good. Good luck seems to be the best hope.
Remember, if you see one....there are likely more.
Remember, they see and hear you and to them you are the wolf...it is your speed that screws them up...i.e. no wolf runs that fast.
Remember, The way to escape a wolf (from the deer's perspective) is to cut across the path of the 'attacking' 'wolf' (you)...just like what the antelope
do out on the old Serengetti. So if Bambi is running along next to the road or
standing there and you 'surprise' them, they are more likely than not going to
'cross your path'......Read, OUCH!
I have had 40 years of LUCKY riding with many a deer tale (ugly pun) to show for it but as of today I have only been downed by one idiot mut.

Squidley
08-17-2004, 05:22 AM
My deer and animal (once a bear!) encounters have shown that intermittant sounds seem to work the best. Don't hold your horn on, give it a quick series of blasts. Rev your exaust up and down, worked on the bear, I waz scared! Mat's right on the running pattern, and if you see one there well might be another or two very close.

Scary scary suicide animals.

Bong
08-17-2004, 07:39 AM
On another note, be careful riding in open range roads - the roads that have cattle guard crossings. I once rounded a bend and saw a nice, big happy cow smack dab in the middle of the road :eek: Slip second decision had me going behind the cow (I figured the cow would move forward instead of backwards).

And yes, I have found that honking the horn intermittently works on getting the dear cleared from the roads.

Mat
08-17-2004, 10:26 AM
A deer can screw up your Month.
A cow can screw up your Life.

There is something comical about horn tooting
But
Whatever works.
Hey, I have an idea for a new product.
"a horn modulator"
flip a switch and it rhythmically or randomly
toots your horn as you drive down the road.
Remember, you saw it here first!
Cool!!

LittleMeanWolf
09-01-2004, 10:45 PM
But what if you ARE the wolf? =)

> they see and hear you and to them you are the wolf...it is your speed that screws
> them up...i.e. no wolf runs that fast.

But this one rides that fast... =)

> Remember, The way to escape a wolf (from the deer's perspective) is to cut across the
> path of the 'attacking' 'wolf'

I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm trying to nab a quick snack!

In all seriousness, gotta watch out for those prey animals, especially so on a bike!
Just imagine hitting a cow or horse.

- Wolf

memovich
09-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Killer Deer.... yes even way down south in the hinterlands of Puyallup the Deer stalk you!) Always in the early morning or early evening it seems when you wits are not totally about you... devlish critters...

Be safe ~ my worse accident was in my drive way with three of my best freinds watching me.... killer maple leaves bit me.... hahaha

Bill Anderson
09-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Killer Deer.... yes even way down south in the hinterlands of Puyallup the Deer stalk you!) Always in the early morning or early evening it seems when you wits are not totally about you... devlish critters...

Be safe ~ my worse accident was in my drive way with three of my best freinds watching me.... killer maple leaves bit me.... hahaha

Reminds me of that video which has made the rounds of the guy on a new yellow 749 who loses it pulling out of his garage about 1 bike length outside the door. I dropped my old Honda once inside the garage. At least no one could see me there.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

mikimoto
09-06-2004, 10:09 PM

Ummmm, my bike and I exp'd an attack of wet grass - 3 times. Doh!

Miki

darkduc
09-06-2004, 10:37 PM
The worst I've done is rolled down a drive way onto a street and got my feet off the ground in the apex of the angle between the street and sidewalk. :scared10: The front and back wheels were higher than the mid section. couldn't touch! It was like watching Wile E. Coyote I'm quite sure of it. I sat there in mid air for a second and then tipped the bike to the right. Luckily I was able to catch my fall and set the bike on my leg. Sacrifice body parts to protect expensive plastics! That was on my Buell.

Squidley
09-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Sacrifice body parts to protect expensive plastics!
I'm with you there! Hey, bodies will heal, parts cost dough!