PDA

View Full Version : DNW Driver's Education/D.E. Day

belikeh20
02-07-2007, 03:00 AM
All this track-day talk with no D.E. day, so I took it upon myself to try an organize a DNW D.E. day, since I espouse formal instruction in order to minimize the crash factor and maximize the fun factor.

I talked to Valerie Sullivan (Mike's wife) about doing a DNW D.E. day & they were very hip to the idea. They could do a 2-day event in Spokane, where they get a better rate on the track rental and insurance (as opposed to PRI). 1st day would be an all-day "pure" instruction with no track day going on at the same time, 2nd Day all-day track day. (In the www.audiclubnw.org we have a similar event at PIR every November we call "Quattrofest," which is our premier event. The difference is the Audi club has their own volunteer member instructors.) If we had enough people Sullivan would give us a discount. I'd be willing to work on this. We need some early head count on this so I'm posting a poll.

My first motorcycle track day was with Sullivan (Street Rider), Lindsay Gupton (pre-Anatra Corsa) was in attendance. The racing line was the same as in the car, but body/head positioning, etc... was different with no room for error.

Spokane is Sullivan's favorite track and it's a good excuse to try a new track. The Audi Club does chalk-talk the night before, 1-day instruction with club dinner that evening, 2nd-day track day open to all marques. We'd need to find a hotel/motel for a club discount, etc....

I did an earlier poll with the DOC members and they seem to favor the more expensive PRI route, so maybe a chalk-talk the night before and just a 1-day event would work?

DISCLAIMER: I have no business relationship with Sullivan Race School. I receive no compensation what so ever.

http://www.sullivanraceschool.com/

Jeremy
02-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Not sure how I missed this before, but I'd be down for any of the options.

Thanks for organizing this! :happy36:

kurtfriedrich
02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
all the talk about Audi's left me confused. Is this a bike or car track day?

Also, Getting a bike to Spokane and back is not to easy, have you given any thought to a group truck rental? I can drive my 749 to Kent and back for a track day, and I'd love to go to Spokane, but not on a 749.

thanks

Davidé
02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Sounds great! I'd be interested, especially if we recruited enough club interest to secure discounts on the school, lodging, (evening meal, too?) and make this a social as well as an educational gathering.

Kurt does make a great point -- many may feel hesitant to commit to Spokane unless they have secured a way to trailer their bikes out first. That being said, how about we also look into organizing trailers/trucks for those without?

Volume = Discount! :)

Bong
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Uhaul is pretty cheap to rent for a weekend.

And there are members here that have trailers, plus I have a truck and trailer that could haul 4 bikes total.

kurtfriedrich
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
1 day at PRI is a "safe" choice, so I voted for that.
But if we really work out a trailer/truck deal, I am all for Spokane.
Kurt

AM-A-Duc
02-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I am all for it
I have not seen Spokane track but isn't it better than Pacific asphalt wise?
I am hoping to do the sullivan school in spoken :) in May

wsuduc
02-08-2007, 09:26 AM
I voted for Spokane, however PIR would work too.

Have RV, have trailer, lets roll!!

Mitch
02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm interested, but it all depends on the dates (so, I guess I'll sit back and see what they end up being :whistling: )

flyingducman
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
This never went anywhere in December, and although I'm usually an optomist, I doubt it's going anywhere this time (especially in Spokane) . Sorry for the dose of cold, hard reality :o

Club 'training' has been talked about, proposed etc. for as long as the DOC's been in existance, but no one's pulled it off. Maybe Nathan can, but don't be surprised if this thread dies a slow-and-miserable-demise :crying: like all the others.

If you want training, just sign-up for any of Mike Sullivans or 2Fast's courses that are already scheduled and RIDE :action083 !!!

Or. do the advanced MSF or the Lee Park's Total Control program that I beleive one of our members already did locally.

The Brit
06-30-2007, 09:19 AM
FWIW, I've driven Spokane a number of times in my M3 and have to say its an awesome track. It has the longest straightaway in North American at 0.9 miles so the braking zone for turn 1 or 2 is brutal on brakes. The off camber, then on camber turn 2 is a riot in a car, not sure how that translates to motorcycles, yet. Back straight with elevation changes is nice with a couple of hairpins to bring the speeds back to reality and the side g's up.

Its always great to try a different track, keeps the mind sharp and I would consider going to Spokane for an education day. Also have a truck that will tow a house and could possibly borrow a big trailer...

gregc
07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Whether this thread goes anywhere or not who knows. Personally I hope it does. Two days with Mike Sullivan would be incredible. The Spokane track doesn't allow cars on it so the surfuce is much better than PR. There are numerous members with trailers and or trucks (me included) and there are rental trucks available. Events could be organized (frisbee golf, etc) for the families and short people. I hope we can put this together.
greg

Tifoso
07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I gotta hit PR one of these days...

Bong, you thinkin of training world-class motoGP prospects in the near future?

I'm Viet so riding motorcycles is in my blood! :happy57:

Bong
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I gotta hit PR one of these days...

Bong, you thinkin of training world-class motoGP prospects in the near future?

I'm Viet so riding motorcycles is in my blood! :happy57:

I'm flattered but I need as much training as the next person as well :eek:

Why don't you join us on 7-14 at PR, at least come out to see what the fuss is all about! :)

Tifoso
07-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm flattered but I need as much training as the next person as well :eek:

Why don't you join us on 7-14 at PR, at least come out to see what the fuss is all about! :)

I think I'll do that!