PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

flyingducman
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
After finally getting my clutch-pack replaced (and a new battery) I thought my bike-related troubles were behind me.

So, when my bike started to 'hesitate' and 'bog' a bit while riding this afternoon, especially at lower RPM's while just cruising, a few expletives may have been heard in Pierce County this afternoon :darkcloud: that I'm 100% responsible for.

With the shops closed today I'd like to ask if anybody has had a similar issue and maybe knows what i'm dealing with?

I fueled-up at a busy Chevron in Bonney Lake before heading out but the problem started well into the ride so I wouldn't think it was the fuel?

I've never experienced a fouled plug. It still had its power, or so it seemed, so not sure it would be this. Is a fouled plug really noticeable?

If you have any ideas as to what I'm up against I would appreciate your feedback.

AM-A-Duc
03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
After finally getting my clutch-pack replaced (and a new battery) I thought my bike-related troubles were behind me.

So, when my bike started to 'hesitate' and 'bog' a bit while riding this afternoon, especially at lower RPM's while just cruising, a few expletives may have been heard in Pierce County this afternoon :darkcloud: that I'm 100% responsible for.

With the shops closed today I'd like to ask if anybody has had a similar issue and maybe knows what i'm dealing with?

I fueled-up at a busy Chevron in Bonney Lake before heading out but the problem started well into the ride so I wouldn't think it was the fuel?

I've never experienced a fouled plug. It still had its power, or so it seemed, so not sure it would be this. Is a fouled plug really noticeable?

If you have any ideas as to what I'm up against I would appreciate your feedback.
is a fouled plug really noticeable.....well how many do you have (as if I didn't know)
was it coughing and spitting or just choking and puking ?

swassociates
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
If I had to bet I'd say bad fuel and/or a clogged fuel filter (perhaps from the fuel).

flyingducman
03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
is a fouled plug really noticeable.....well how many do you have (as if I didn't know)
was it coughing and spitting or just choking and puking ?Hesitation and a little 'bog' then runs OK, then a 'bog' and cruising along and a little hesitation and we're fine again. No coughing, spitting, maybe a little choking (hesitation) and no puking.

I guess the straight answer on a fouled plug would've been nice since I've heard people still ride their bikes on one cylinder, but have never personally experienced a fouled plug.

flyingducman
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
If I had to bet I'd say bad fuel and/or a clogged fuel filter (perhaps from the fuel).I've siphoned out the rest of the Chevron and filled it up with Shell from close to home station.

Still hesitating and bogging.

Maybe the fuel filter??? Just had the 12K 2500 miles ago. I guess I'll have to check the worksheet to see if this is/was done at a 12K service.

Dave R
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
check your battery terminal connections...
what's the indicated voltage while running ?

flyingducman
03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
check your battery terminal connections...
what's the indicated voltage while running ?Thanks Dave...I'll check the connections.

As mentioned in my initial post the battery was JUST replaced. Wonder if the connections vibrated loose?

I'll let you know if this is the problem...hoping, praying :happy57:

Dave R
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
they are hard to get tight and we often find them loose. It could cause your bike to go into a "safe mode" which it will do if it detects a low or dying battery. This kind of sounds like the symptoms you describe

AM-A-Duc
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
or sell it to me cheap :thanks:

ducmons
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Hesitation and a little 'bog' then runs OK, then a 'bog' and cruising along and a little hesitation and we're fine again. No coughing, spitting, maybe a little choking (hesitation) and no puking.

That happened to me and it was a shorted ground of to the Power Comander.

flyingducman
03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
That happened to me and it was a shorted ground of to the Power Comander.Well I have one of those too. So, I have two things to look at tomorrow morning.

:thanks: everybody for the :needhelp: .

flyingducman
03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Not the battery connections, and doesn't look like there's an issue with the PCIII's ground.

Off to the shop again :bang: