PDA

View Full Version : 1098 Questions

foggy123
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Now that the bike has been out for awhile, I've got some questions.

1. Gas mileage? How far does a tank go?
(I've heard 80-100 miles)
2. Is service really cheaper?
3. Any concern with plastic belt rollers?
(I've heard of at least 6 cases of ovaling already)
4. Any changes Ducati should make?
(either performance or aesthetic)
5. Is the bike easy to work on?
(Can you take the fairings off easily and quickly, easy access etc)

TIA

Bong
03-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Here are my impressions after 530 miles:

1. Gas mileage? How far does a tank go? (I've heard 80-100 miles)

Hi of 44mpg and low of 27mpg. Reserve light comes on around 90 miles.
4.1 gallon tank means a theoretical range of 180 - 110 using the above figures.

Don't know yet. Will be taking her in for the 600 service this week.

3. Any concern with plastic belt rollers? (I've heard of at least 6 cases of ovaling already)

My understanding is this is a belt cover clearance issue. Will have them check this during my initial service.

4. Any changes Ducati should make? (either performance or aesthetic)

Re-inforce the mirror stalks to lessen vibration. Also lengthen the mirror handles for better view of whats behind you.

Put a thicker coat of clear-coat on the paint. Really easy to mar paint and not be able to wax off boot scuffs like on previous 916-998 models.

Wish the dzus fasteners were standard. I've seen pix of 1098 race bikes with dzus fasteners - so I know it's possible. Will try to do this mod in the future.

Overall - in 1 week of ownership I am still smiling about the purchase. Not a bike for the inexperienced, it builds speed FAST. A bike worthy of the next generation sbk! :)

Rock
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Here are my impressions after 530 miles:

1. Gas mileage? How far does a tank go? (I've heard 80-100 miles)

Hi of 44mpg and low of 27mpg. Reserve light comes on around 90 miles.
4.1 gallon tank means a theoretical range of 180 - 110 using the above figures.

Don't know yet. Will be taking her in for the 600 service this week.

3. Any concern with plastic belt rollers? (I've heard of at least 6 cases of ovaling already)

My understanding is this is a belt cover clearance issue. Will have them check this during my initial service.

4. Any changes Ducati should make? (either performance or aesthetic)

Re-inforce the mirror stalks to lessen vibration. Also lengthen the mirror handles for better view of whats behind you.

Put a thicker coat of clear-coat on the paint. Really easy to mar paint and not be able to wax off boot scuffs like on previous 916-998 models.

Wish the dzus fasteners were standard. I've seen pix of 1098 race bikes with dzus fasteners - so I know it's possible. Will try to do this mod in the future.

Overall - in 1 week of ownership I am still smiling about the purchase. Not a bike for the inexperienced, it builds speed FAST. A bike worthy of the next generation sbk! :)

:+1: What Bong said.

Red Label Moto
03-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Ditto the paint. I was looking at Rock's bike in the showroom after he had only ridden it, what, 100 miles or so? The rear of the tank looked like it had 5 years of wear on it already.

Sieg
03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Ditto the paint. I was looking at Rock's bike in the showroom after he had only ridden it, what, 100 miles or so? The rear of the tank looked like it had 5 years of wear on it already.
My '06 S2R is a similar situation. Quality issue with the clear coat supplier?

Rock
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Yup, gonna have to get some protection apllied there. Ideally a CF tank guard that is wide and tall enough would be ideal. A tank pad doesn't cut it.

wwahl
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
967571AAA tank protector $13.49 $1.19 $14.68
This is the clear one. It works very well.

Sieg
03-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Yup, gonna have to get some protection apllied there. Ideally a CF tank guard that is wide and tall enough would be ideal. A tank pad doesn't cut it.
Might try a group buy on a small roll of this in the clear:
http://www.signsupply.com/Vinyl/MacTac/9800.asp
This is the product the LEO's use on their bikes around here. You have to look hard to notice it at 10 feet. I have it on the KTM 200 airbox panel.