PDA

View Full Version : Cool billboard

charon
08-25-2004, 07:49 AM
On the way to work this morning, I got off the I90 express lanes downtown in the International District, looked to my right and saw a billboard with a picture of a car and a bike behind it with the caption being something like: "They are in your blind spot, look out for bikers"

I couldn't read the small print to see who paid for it, but I was pleased to see it given that at least three times in the past three weeks, someone has tried to run over me.

Torben
08-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Yeah I saw the same one on Maple Valley Highway just before Cedar Grove Road. I think it's awesome! I'll look closer to see who is paying for it.

TDAdams
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Has everyone read this....? Some stunt boyz are suspected of having caused a serious accident near St. Louis. :(

http://tinyurl.com/6wx4e

charon
08-25-2004, 10:50 AM
yeah, read that a couple of days ago. same old story it seems. :indiffere

I just don't want to get clamped down on because others may have a urge to ride mile long stand up wheelies on the highway.

lll0228
08-25-2004, 11:54 AM
And people should note that those guys in the Suburban were NOT wearing seatbelts. If they were not "ejected" I am quite sure they would be quite ok inside such a big cage. Bikers are just easy target to blame.

Torben
08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Well, it doesn't change the fact that they caused an accident. The ejection is their own fault (the cagers) but the accident itself was caused by useless squid organ donors and I agree - I don't want to be lumped into that chategory either. Although the statement on going between 80 and 100 MPH confuses me. Am I the only one who goes those speeds here and there on roads around here? (safe circumstances must exist tho)

charon
08-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, it doesn't change the fact that they caused an accident. The ejection is their own fault (the cagers) but the accident itself was caused by useless squid organ donors and I agree - I don't want to be lumped into that chategory either. Although the statement on going between 80 and 100 MPH confuses me. Am I the only one who goes those speeds here and there on roads around here? (safe circumstances must exist tho)

reminder: *Allegedly* caused the accident. This is based on eyewitness accounts at the scene also. If a biker goes past me at 120 in a stand up wheelie while i'm driving an SUV, I'm a seasoned enough driver to just stay my straight course and let them go by no matter how close they come, if one falls in front of me, I'll take every evasive action I can and go off the road if I have to in order to avoid running them over.

If they go 120 past grandma driving a top heavy SUV full of people, she's probably going to make a large steering adjustment and flip the darn thing even if there's plenty of room for the bikes.

I can see them called "contributing" to the accident, but it is hard for me to call them the direct cause.

Funny, the last guy who came to a stop in front of me in bad conditions who I promptly ran into the rear of, the cop noted ME as the cause.
:rolleyes:

lll0228
08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
And when was the last time the news reported that "stunt SUV" caused an accident and DIRECTLY killed somebody?

charon
08-25-2004, 12:25 PM
And when was the last time the news reported that "stunt SUV" caused an accident and DIRECTLY killed somebody?

now that is funny!

charon
08-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Update (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/St.+Louis+City+%2F+County/story/2917FA6D38C3316A86256EFE00647BED?OpenDocument&Headline=Stunt+cycling's+allure+raises+alarm) on the stunters "causing" an accident story:

Witnesses told police that, while the bikers had been performing stunts, they were far enough ahead so that they didn't cut anyone off.

But, for some reason, when the bikes cut into the center lane, Cory cut over to the right lane and T-boned the Suburban.

mikimoto
08-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Update (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/St.+Louis+City+%2F+County/story/2917FA6D38C3316A86256EFE00647BED?OpenDocument&Headline=Stunt+cycling's+allure+raises+alarm) on the stunters "causing" an accident story:

It's really disturbing, that the County Prosecuting Attorney, despite witness' account of the accident, makes it blatantly obvious that he feels the motorcyclists were the cause of the accident. I don't know what's on his political agenda, but I'll feel sorry for the riders in St. Louis if that guy ever becomes a local politician.