PDA

View Full Version : Uhhhhhh......

Zach
08-27-2004, 12:35 AM
......Is it just me, or is finding out how to 'post' more complicated than it needs to be? Prolly just me...I'm more & more anti tech these days. How 'bout just a big button that says 'POST'. Then you can pick yer topic (which I think is hogwash). Anyway, I've given this site an honest get go, & I feel it's overly complex. Simplicity is key IMHO... Torben, I know you've put in a ton of hard work, & I honestly appreciate what you've done, but can v2.0 be a little more streamlined? I really like the simple simon shit. The PNW Yahoo group (thank you Jeff O for the hatching) worked just fine for my needs/wants. Crap, have the Desmonorthest groupies even had anything close to a 'DucDo'?! Do YOU know what DucDo is?!?! Has anyone even brought up the idea? Do poseurs rule the world? Is the sky falling? Have I lost it? PNW Ducatisti started off as a _riders_ forum. From the very start, we were doing rides together. Hell, one of the first rides I did with the PNW, Dave R was there on his M996 & led the pack down some tasty corners east of Boeing field, on a foggy ride to Pacific Raceways. That was sweet. I dare someone to come up with something that resembles a propa PNW DucDo. I'm looking forward to meeting up in Port Angeles to drink the night away.

Chow,
Zach
'99 900SS

lll0228
08-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Zach,

Good to hear some feedback! However, personally I don't find posting here complicated at all. Actually, the categorized way of the forum makes the posts way more relevant and searchable. It's no more than one extra click. The Yahoo Group has a lot of problems and is very hard to navigate. It is also constantly down. And you don't have the neat and tidy layout that makes browsing easy. Plus Yahoo does not have any room for expansion, it's just a big mess. There are tons of features here that Yahoo does not support. And if you prefer not to use them, it's ok, too, it will post just fine.

It just takes time to get used to, and it will work beautifully. And yes, it is new and Torben is still constantly taking advice and improving it, software evolution at work.

As for the Ducati Owner Club part of DesmoNorthwest (that's really what it is), we have achieved a lot in a short time. As far as I can remember there was never a trackday organized by the other group. We are coming out with a DesmoNorthwest calendar, totally professionally produced. There have also been quite a few Ride Planning in the ride planning section. I have gone out and ridden with quite a few people in the club (yes, we are a real sanctioned club). As time goes by, we will have more activities and events. We are new, barely two months and a bit old. But many people, including me, are working hard in the background to get things moving as quickly as possible. DarkDuc and Torben have also given up tons of riding hours (damn, don't we have such a great summer!) to organize things, getting bylaws and paperwork ready, organizing the calendar stuff etc. It's going to be great. But things take time. We will make it better and easier for everyone.

LLL0228

Bong
08-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Great input Zach, I do like the fact that you can search for certain topics easier on this site. There have been many rides that have been set up on this site, I just did one a few weeks back to Leavenworth with 8 other riders. I do agree that we need to get gatherings more formally set up. The weather can be dicy, but a monthly gathering - at say Cafe Veloce - would work for me. I don't thinkI ever felt comfortable meeting with fellow ducsters at a bar, beer and riding doesn't mix well for me. Maybe we should set up a poll on what day of the week would work out best for people to be able to meet on a monthly basis.

DJS
08-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Yes, i second the monthly meeting idea. I suggest:

-Buckaroo
-Red Door
-Blue Star Cafe

Anyone else have some good suggestions?

mike
08-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I would second Veloce (the one off-Broadway).

Torben
08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Zach your input is welcome and valuable.
Really tho there can't be any comparison drawn between the two distinctly different implementations. Yahoo is a mailing list primarily with uncategorized posting, email notifications, basically a toolbox for sending out mass emails.
This implementation is much different as you've alluded to.
I've been watching the Yahoo group and have seen comments similar to yours with respect to complexity, lack of appeal, etc. I've also seen comments to the contrary. It's a personal opinion and everyone's entitled to it. I wish there were some way to make things easier but this software (actually 4 separate applications all running together as one) is much more complex given the nature of the implementation.
As far as group functions, anyone at any point can take it upon themselves to arrange whatever they wish. There's no real "overlord" here and no one person responsible for arranging anything. Anyone can set something up whenever they like. Eventually that will change when we get the board of directors in place.
As far as DucDo's - that's something that Jeff has called his own so we can't really use the term however there have been several group events that the club has participated in such as the Dyno Day @ DucSea, DNW2004, DucSea 5th anniversary and so on. We also have the upcoming track day which Mario @ Adrenaline Freaks is helping out with, and Ducati NA is even promoting it so we're certainly a legitimate organization with lots of credibility, a great deal of awareness and outstanding sponsorship with more on the way - all of which benefit the membership.
If you're not happy with things then personally I'm sad to see you go if that's what you chose to do. Your comments are valuable and will serve to form things on an ongoing basis.

Holeshot
08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I don't thinkI ever felt comfortable meeting with fellow ducsters at a bar, beer and riding doesn't mix well for me. Maybe we should set up a poll on what day of the week would work out best for people to be able to meet on a monthly basis.

I tend to agree. Being a core member of the local VFR group I was at the weekly meetings but they were held at a nice bar in Port Orchard. Which was fine and all but after a couple of years I stopped drinking and riding all together (8 hours bottle-to-throttle is my new moto) and I find that even one would make a noticable diff. Oh.. sorry, steering off onto the shoulder there. I've never been to Cafe Veloce but it often comes up as a good meeting place.

Althought it will be tough for me to make a weekly gathering on the east side I think I could do it once per month. I like the idea.

As far as DucDo' I think we had a pretty good turnout for a Thursday 200 miles away in Portland.... :) :happy44:

- David, so busy taking photos (just sold a couple more this morning) I've not ridden since I got back from Portland DOH! When is the next ride?!!??! :) :) :)

charon
08-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I tend to agree that the posting is more difficult than it needs to be. The default page for the site doesn't have a link to post. I've got to select the specific forum I want and then post. I've thought to myself on several occasions, a "New Thread" button there, on the default page along with a drop down box of which forum to post it in, might be nice and make things just a little quicker.

Torben
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Once I implement the "member bike of the month" article, the thread digest on the main page will go away anyway. Having a dropdown for posting a new thread on the digest view is a lot of coding and not canned functionality.

Zach
08-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Alrighty, I've given it some thought & read your replies. I guess I was a bit overly critical, sorry for that. I also thought DesmoNorthwest had been around a few months longer.

I know Yahoo is pretty weak & limited in it's capabilities, but I just found myself being able to get what I wanted faster & easier. I'm not saying I'm all for the Yahoo format.... Just found it a bit easier to post/navigate. Guess I need to plant myself in front of a computer more often & get do know DesmoNorthwest.com a lil betta :)

As for meeting places, it doesn't matter to me where it's at really, coffee shop, pub, parking lot, someone's garage...anywhere is cool. Oh, and the place on Broadway is Cafe Vivace, just a coffee shop. I think the STR crew hangs there. Maybe we could have a burnout contest with 'em :) Cafe Veloce is a full service Italian restraunt, very good I might add. Nicely decorated as well.

Does anyone meet up at DucSea on Sunday mornings for rides? That seems like it used to be the norm for the PNW for a while. Any rides happening this weekend? I know there have been several rides put together...but I've been trying to stay away from places like Rainier, St Helens, & the like. Seems like bad things always happen on rides to those areas. Either bikes flying off the road & people getting hurt, or tickets being written. So, I've missed out on a few of these rides unfortunately.

Cheers,
Zach

Torben
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Zach no need to appologize - really.

Like I said everyone has their own preference and sadly we can't do the yahoo mail thing as well as the threaded forum although I know some people would wish that to be the case.

Please feel free to provide any feedback that you have - we will always listen. I can't guarantee that we'll be able to pull it off but please know it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Folks here usually setup rides with each other offline - either via PM or email so most rides aren't posted on the forum. I've actually seen a lot of instances both on this forum and others where rides are planned and no one shows which is very frustrating but hey life happens, right?

If it will help maybe make your experience better I could get together with you personally and lead you through the functionality of the site and give you some shortcuts, features, etc. Please don't hesitate to ask me for any help

Jim is Cool
08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Zach Zach Zach, I just looked at the time of your first post...... That's about when I get home from the local as well! :)

Zach
08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
hehehe...

Squidley
08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Speakin o' drunkards, the Buckaroo is a fine choice to meet up at for me. I like that place 'cause they've never become brand specific. All kinds of bikes are always welcome there. And the main bartender there rides a Duc (Andre are you on this site?). The other night when I left there were two Ducatis parked up against the window's and one parked vertically in the center, all lit by the red neon glow, brought a tear to the eye, it was so beautiful.

Speakin of rides, any of yous peeples ride midweek? If so PM me, I'm often squirrlin' around on Tues and Weds.

TDAdams
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Two possibilities on Mercer Island -- the Roanoke and the Islander. The Islander will remind you of a mini, ok very mini McCormicks or FX McCrory. Very cool proprietors. Good food and bar for those who want it. And a huge, parking lot down below next to the True Value. Roanoke has a ton of tradition/character but would be hell for parking.

M.I. -- besides being my home port :D :happy57: -- has a a great 11+ mile loop around the perimeter for those of you who haven't been out there. And it is centrally located for folks on both sides of the Lake.

mikimoto
08-30-2004, 04:10 PM
M.I. -- besides being my home port :D :happy57: -- has a a great 11+ mile loop around the perimeter for those of you who haven't been out there. And it is centrally located for folks on both sides of the Lake.

Are there a lot of cops on MI? Can you have a little fun on that 11 mile loop?

Miki

TDAdams
08-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Sure. And joggers and and bicyclists. But sportbikes are out there every night.

UKDuc
08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey TDAdams, I am on the south side of the Isldand - haven't seen a 749 around the island but I'll keep and eye out in future. I tend to hit East Mercer everyday from my home to the Eastside (M900 Dark).

Mikimoto - East Mercer Way is always free of the fuzz, but West Mercer is a bit more risky, I think because there are more straights to build up speed. East Mercer is just corner after corner with only a few faster spots, so I don't think cops bother with it. I have seen one cop at the very end, just past the Shore Club (once) where there is a small straight. I do East Mercer every day and it is a good reason for getting out of bed!

The Roanoke is a regular for me and has good nachos. Not quite so keen on the food at the Islander.

lll0228
08-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah, Sputnik and I have both done the East Mercer Way quite a bit. We even saw UKDuc the other day (let's go have a pint somewhere, mate!). It's a bunch of tight left and right blind-ish corners, mostly second gear stuff. Pretty narrow, too, and be careful with wet leaves!! Otherwise, on a good day, that road is priceless. You don't even have to go fast to enjoy it.

UKDuc
08-30-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm up for that - maybe a mid-week or weekend pint. Let's set a time and anyone who likes can join us. I agree about avoiding drinking holes when riding, but I'll probably have a shandy (half beer and half lemonade - no it's nice honestly!).

The Roanoke has a beer garden that is open on weekends and evenings up to 9pm too. But it is not really a fantastic spot in all truth, and parking is not great so I would not recommend it for a larger meet BTW ;)

Bill Anderson
08-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, Sputnik and I have both done the East Mercer Way quite a bit. We even saw UKDuc the other day (let's go have a pint somewhere, mate!). It's a bunch of tight left and right blind-ish corners, mostly second gear stuff. Pretty narrow, too, and be careful with wet leaves!! Otherwise, on a good day, that road is priceless. You don't even have to go fast to enjoy it.

Do you have to watch out for driveways emptying out into blind corners?
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

lll0228
08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Do you have to watch out for driveways emptying out into blind corners?
On East Mercer there aren't that many of those. On the other side you get more.

TDAdams
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
right on, UK. We'll have to hook up somewhere soon. Between work and soccer season starting up, I haven't had a ton of time to ride lately. I live right off East Mercer so I'll keep pretty good tabs on all the bikes going by. :happy57: