PDA

View Full Version : Light flywheel

Zach
08-27-2004, 01:29 PM
For those of you that have one or have had one, what are the drawbacks, if any? Who are the preferred brands?

Thx,
Zach
'99 900SS

Torben
08-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Certainly the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The whole thing is about reducing rotating mass thereby increasing direct horsepower, dropping weight and less energy to create the rotational motion.
It does cost more, but hey cost is a secondary issue to performance right? :p

foggy123
08-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Don't have one yet but I've heard that it will accentuate low end stumbling if bike isn't tuned correctly.
More positives than negatives. Faster accel and decel. A poor man's slipper so to speak.

Zach
08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
I realize the benefits...was just trying to figure out what, if any drawbacks would result. Cost is always secondary to performance :)

Zach

CINDESMO
08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I have the Ducati Performance flywheel in my 900 and I have never had a problem. Super light flywheels such as Nichols have been known to require a higher idle speed to prevent stalling.

phildo
08-27-2004, 03:32 PM
What are the actual weight differances between stock, a lightweight, and a super light weight? I think I read somewhere that the Nichols was 9oz.
Are all stock duc flywheels the same?

DRS
08-27-2004, 04:01 PM
i just put a nichols flywheel on my 996 and i love love love love it.... makes a huge difference pulling out of corners. makes my track experiences much more enjoyable but commuting around the city less enjoyable. i really have to roll on the throttle even more so than before the lightened flywheel. however, i complemented it with a slipper clutch as well so that has most certainly made a difference.

Gemini
08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
I've always heard (but never followed) that rotational weight is where the biggest performance gains can be had. Second is, of course, losing weight which can dramatically increase acceleration and performance.

CINDESMO
08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Stock Ducati is 4.125 lbs. DP is 1.5 lbs. Nichols is 9 - 12 oz. I changed my rear sprocket at the same time and I have no low speed issues.

Zach
08-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Don't forget the Yoyodyne, comes in 20, 24, 25, & 26oz flavors depending on which model/year you have.

How much is the DP flywheel?

Zach

Squidley
08-30-2004, 12:27 PM
MMM... Why is my wallet suddenly squirming in my pocket??? :eek:

TDAdams
01-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Does anyone here have experience with the Nichols flywheel upgrade on a 749 or 999? I am thinking about installing this on my 749s. Everything I have read about the Nichols product is positive but I like to hear from someone who has actually lived with it on current superbike. Thanks :happy57:

Capt. Home Slice
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
In my experience, the preferred brand is the Nichols. I've got one in my 996 and have had no stalling issues. It takes a bit more revs to get off the line and as long as you arn't ham fisting it out of the corners, you'll be fine. Oh-yeah, the other drawback is a complimentary speeding ticket.

Holeshot
01-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I have a cut-down stock flywheel in the 998 and it's just wonderful. I really don't know how much weight it lost but I'd be surprise if the whole thing is more than the DP unit (probably less, it's tiny now).

No need to increase idle.
Off-idle accell is sweet.
Revs up really nice and quick.

The only downside I can think of (and I'm not sure if it's the flywheel but it could be) is the bike is a tad harder to start cold, I'm thinking because of the reduced rotational mass I need to get a stronger light-off to keep the thing running when very cold. Could be that it's time for a TB sync (5500 miles since last service) so.. who knows.

Fun as hell to ride!