PDA

View Full Version : 1098 stalling issues

JeffE
04-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Well,
I picked up my shiny new 1098 the other day all stoked up to get some miles on her and she stalled no less than 8 times in fourteen miles! I finally had to stop riding and take it back to Duc Sea. this would have been the perfect weekend for break in, damn. I have since read many threads on other forums about this problem and of course there are a few different schools of thought on just what the problem is.
Bong, you have full 70mm termi system right? any stalling issues? Rock, what about you? Anybody here have a bone stock 1098 that doesn't stall.
I have a stock exhaust on mine right now. I do have a set of Termi slip ons waiting for install but was going to wait until 600 mile service. If I was going to make this a track only bike, the stalling issue probably wouldn't come up, but I want to ride it on the street.
Is the bike running too lean, is it the cam timing, the oxygen sensor, cat converter, a new ECU, or?

BTW, DucSea is bending over backwards to get me back on the road as quickly as possible.

Jeff

'01 KTM LC4 Adventure
'07 1098
'96 900 SS SP (sold)

XxFalcoxX
04-22-2007, 10:00 AM
First off, congrats...and keep in mind haveing a 1098 that stalls is still better than no 1098 at all...and you will get it sorted!

Mine is bone stock...i only have about 200 miles on her now, but i have only had it stall 3 times...it was after about 45 minutes of riding and i hit some stoplights...temp got up to 195 or so and stalled....started right back up after that and since then i have had zero stalls. :hapdance: Lets hope it stays that way!

Rock
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey Jeff, congrats on the 1098.

I have the Termi slipons and ECU. I am still having stalling issues, it appears to recur when the engine temp approaches 200 degrees. Went out for 100 miles yesterday and it stalled twice. MOST of the time it stalls when at idle waiting for the light to change. A couple of times it has in fact stalled while in first gear at low speed. The bike is not happy below 4,000 rpm. Fortunately the starter kicked it right back on again.

From 1098-Forum it appears Ducati will be shipping updated ECU's and hopefully this will provide the needed fix.

JeffE
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM
First off, congrats...and keep in mind haveing a 1098 that stalls is still better than no 1098 at all...and you will get it sorted!

Mine is bone stock...i only have about 200 miles on her now, but i have only had it stall 3 times...it was after about 45 minutes of riding and i hit some stoplights...temp got up to 195 or so and stalled....started right back up after that and since then i have had zero stalls. :hapdance: Lets hope it stays that way!

You are absolutely right, having a 1098 is a beautiful thing. I know the problem will be fixed soon, it's these sunny days that make it hard to endure.

ngng
04-22-2007, 01:40 PM
ducs stalling at lights is nothing new :happy57:

Bong
04-22-2007, 09:43 PM
1400 miles on her now...

No stalling either in oem form or now with the 70mm full system.

Hope yours gets sorted out soon - it really is an awesome bike!

Rock
04-22-2007, 09:51 PM
1400 miles on her now...

No stalling either in oem form or now with the 70mm full system.

Hope yours gets sorted out soon - it really is an awesome bike!

So, apparently, I need a 70mm (FFO) upgrade???

Mitch
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
ducs stalling at lights is nothing new :happy57:
:foflmao:

DJS
04-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I have just over 200mi and my 1098 with slip-on has stalled a couple of times. My 2005 749S use to do that too and believe it or not my 2000 748S stalled on occasion. Itís just one of those things. I eve had one of my R6ís stall on me. All in all a non issue with me but your stalling situation might be more frequent. Hope the shop can figure it out for you. If it is at DS I am sure they will have it taken care of.

Mark
04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I had a 03 999s that stalled frequently and an 05 999r that also stalled. The R finally was sorted out at Duc Sea and ran fine after that.

This issue has been around for quite some time.

Bill Anderson
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Any stalling of my ST4s can be attributed to operator error.

Bong
04-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I had a 03 999s that stalled frequently and an 05 999r that also stalled. The R finally was sorted out at Duc Sea and ran fine after that.

This issue has been around for quite some time.

Knock on wood...

On my 6th duc and have not experienced this stalling thing :tiptoe:

Rock
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Knock on wood...

You are blessed.

wwahl
04-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Mine was delivered with the full Termignoni system. As the miles add up the stalling reduces. The last several times out I have had no stalling. The gas mileage has gotten much better. Today, two up, it was almost 36 MPG. Total mileage is at about 890.

Benjamin St.G
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Knock on wood...

Your old 996 was famous for stalling while I owned it....but it did live a somewhat rough life with the owner inbetween us.....

Bong
04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Your old 996 was famous for stalling while I owned it....but it did live a somewhat rough life with the owner inbetween us.....

Oh no, I"m better off not knowing how my past baby's are cared for :eek:

In the 4yrs owning her she ran beautifully! :)

Clivey
04-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I've had a 1098S for about two months now. Took it in for the first service at about 700 miles complaining about it stalling out at low revs. They said it was a known problem that could be sorted with racing ecu (I thought it already had one with the the race cans but whatever). So they fitted the new ecu and I rode off confident that all was well. Took the bike over the channel to France at the weekend to stretch it's legs and found it was worse than ever. Had to wait about ten minutes each time before the starter motor would turn it over (more cig breaks then I had planned). Apparently there's a recall coming out to change the gearing on the starter. Thought that one would have shown up in testing. It's definitely not happy below 3.5K.
Still love it though :)

staples
05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I've had a 1098S for about two months now. Took it in for the first service at about 700 miles complaining about it stalling out at low revs. They said it was a known problem that could be sorted with racing ecu (I thought it already had one with the the race cans but whatever). So they fitted the new ecu and I rode off confident that all was well. Took the bike over the channel to France at the weekend to stretch it's legs and found it was worse than ever. Had to wait about ten minutes each time before the starter motor would turn it over (more cig breaks then I had planned). Apparently there's a recall coming out to change the gearing on the starter. Thought that one would have shown up in testing. It's definitely not happy below 3.5K.
Still love it though :)

bummer! but you still have a 1098!!