PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Opinion Needed: '04 998S FE

seattle.guy
05-19-2007, 07:07 PM
As I circle the wagons for my next Duc, (I'm ALL over the map at the moment...trust me), I would appreciate the opinions of the humble group on this pristine '04 998S FE :

http://www.eastsidemotosports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09730036X5K19K2007J7I11I5 8JPMQ1299R0&veh=550634

I saw it today at ES, and while I wasn't exactly "looking" for a 998 S...it was pretty captivating. The bike has a bunch of tasteful and correct upgrades...and seems to be in showroom shape.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dazed and Confused.

Flyboy
05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Buy it, looks nice:)

ducmons
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Seriously man..... a Red 998s FE !!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

If you've never riden a 998, you're in for the ride of your life. I say go for it. That's one sweet machine !!!

http://www.eastsidemotosports.com/images/eastsidemotosports/VP550634_1.jpg

Bong
05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
That is a gorgeous bike and it looks to have some tasteful additions.

What are you going to use the bike for? That would make a great track bike as well as street use - just build up your back and ab muscles to take weight off your wrists.

The testastreta engine is really smooth and you get the Tamburini looks with the modern engine. If this is what you are looking for go for it!

Let us know what you decide :)

Red Label Moto
05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Whats not to like? As long as there are no stories, the price is right on. Stock take-off parts would be a major plus. That is almost as good of a deal as an '05 999 bip with 3k miles and full warranty for $10.5k.

Actually, it isn't close to as good of a deal as that but who's counting?

Both seem to be over an 8 / $9k budget however :)

Incidentally, I find the sole descriptive sentence from the ad...

<RARE ORIGINAL SUPERBIKE BODY STYLE W/ 999 ENGINE. TO MUCH TO LIST>

... to have everything in it that would keep me from calling if I were a consumer. And it's only 12 words!

Its all in caps. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE YELL AT ME! I MAY BE GETTING OLDER BUT I CAN HEAR JUST FINE! Strike 1.

It says "RARE". We can give them that. Not many '04 998S/FE models were ever made or subsequently sold. Negate strike 1, back to even par.

"ORIGINAL SUPERBIKE BODY STYLE" it says. Hmmmm. Confusion. Do they mean the bike is original and not modified <and> it is a Superbike? Or do they mean it is <the> original Superbike body style? Can't tell since they choose not to use punctuation. Either way thats wrong since (A) the bike is modified and (B) it isn't the original Superbike body style. I'm fairly certain the 851/888 platform raced in Superbike before the 916/996/998. 2 strikes at least and really more like 3.

"W/ 999 ENGINE". At best this is misleading and/or ambiguous. A 998 does indeed have an earlier form of the same basic engine from an '03/'04 base 999 model but it is not a 999cc. Another strike in my OCD Ducati Buyer's Guide/Book.

"TO MUCH TO LIST". Why is it too much to list? Are they reaching their website data storage maximum? If so, why the cheesy video instead of just some good solid information? Why can't they proofread? I see a Termig exhaust, some rearsets, carbon hugger, license plate bracket cleanup kit, a clutch and swanky cover, a bling-bling tinted windscreen, some of that sticky stuff from the bathtub so you don't slip and fall glued to the fuel tank, so what? That takes, what, a minute to type out?

If they want you to call or come in for details, why not just say that?

Its all moot anyway since the ad could say...

"We will not, under any circumstance, accept any stupidly high cash offer or ridiculously weighted in our favor trade allowence for this bike. Quite simply, you may call and leave as many messages as you wish and loiter in our showroom for as long as you like until we take notice of your existence upon which time we will ask you to leave quietly without making trouble. Please do not contact us about this 998S/FE as we cannot be bothered and furthermore..."

...and the bike would still sell.

Hope you Eastside Motosports types know I'm just kidding you.

seattle.guy
05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Kie....I would expect no less of a calculated response! I do appreciate your input and honesty. I think you're a very bright guy, knowledgeable, and run a good operation (as I told you on Friday).

You are right on <most> all accounts. Except for one: Your 999 bip didn't inspire me. Reasons? Tracked too much (IMHO). Used by a DNA rep that didn't really care about the cosmetics (see Hertz, Avis). Yes is a good price...excellent warranty, etc...but....

It didn't move me like the 998 did.

The 998s FE has everything I wanted (eventually) to add on my next Duc: Termi's, Carbon front fender and rear hugger/chainguard, CRG levers, SpeedyMoto clutch plate and cover, Acculine rearsets, Puig double bubble screen, Ohlins shock, fork and steering dampener, integrated blinkers/tailight. And, there is not a scratch on the bike...anywhere.

Need I say more. Sometimes the soul of a bike just talks to you. Sometimes it says "Buy me...take me home". No, I'm not delusional...just passionate about things with motors.

I'll sleep on it...as usual, and let you know.

Dazed...yet confused.

Red Label Moto
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Kie....I would expect no less of a calculated response! I do appreciate your input and honesty. I think you're a very bright guy, knowledgeable, and run a good operation (as I told you on Friday).

You are right on <most> all accounts. Except for one: Your 999 bip didn't inspire me. Reasons? Tracked too much (IMHO). Used by a DNA rep that didn't really care about the cosmetics (see Hertz, Avis). Yes is a good price...excellent warranty, etc...but....

The 998s FE has everything I wanted (eventually) to add on my next Duc: Termi's, Carbon front fender and rear hugger/chainguard, CRG levers, SpeedyMoto clutch plate and cover, Acculine rearsets, Puig double bubble screen, Ohlins shock, fork and steering dampener, integrated blinkers/tailight. And, there is not a scratch on the bike...anywhere.

Need I say more. Sometimes the soul of a bike just talks to you. Sometimes it says "Buy me...take me home". No, I'm not delusional...just passionate about things with motors.

Dazed...yet confused.

I never said my 999 inspired you Glenn, no sir. Just said it was a fair deal. Not that we're splitting hairs or anything :)

All tomfoolery and internet-ad hyper-critiquing aside, that FE is a great looking bike. I am absolutely kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a brand new one for $15k a few months ago.

The 999 is headed west anyway. Let us all say Aloha and wish her well on her future life of uninspiringly entertaining young US Navy servicemen:

http://www.redlabelmoto.com/details.asp?srID=248

Bong
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Dazed...yet confused.

Sounds like you already made youre decision! :)

That is a nice looking 998FE...

seattle.guy
05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Bong...you are an inspiration! Any guy who would lend out his new 1098 at a track to a friend...HAS to have a heart of gold.

I'll let you know when/if I put together the deal on the 998s. Perhaps we can go "canyon blasting" over on Vashon, Bainbridge...or even old Carnation.

Later.

G

Dave R
05-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Kie, I think it's time for a little vacation

:tiptoe:

minger
05-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Bong...you are an inspiration! Any guy who would lend out his new 1098 at a track to a friend...HAS to have a heart of gold.

I'll let you know when/if I put together the deal on the 998s. Perhaps we can go "canyon blasting" over on Vashon, Bainbridge...or even old Carnation.

Later.

G

I happen to know where an 04 999s with 4k miles and never seen the track with all the mods you are asking for :riding:

Mitch
05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Kie - :lmao:

I hope you've either already negotiated a final price, or the Eastside guys don't read this before you do. :happy57: Good luck, nice looking bike ...

seattle.guy
05-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Let's just say I know they must check into this forum from time to time.

Art is in the seduction.

However, I am a total, cold-hearted pragmatist at heart.

I'll let you know how things progress.

G