PDA

View Full Version : Riding a "Green Ducati"

Ric Caley
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
As an avowed environmentalist, I have decided to Go Green with my Ducati S2R 1000, and do what I can to reduce my carbon footprint and the subsequent negative impact on the environment. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, and our city is now an 'idle-free' zone... That is, it's illegal to allow a vehicle to idle the engine for more than 30 seconds... In keeping with this, I now use the kill switch to shut off the engine as I am coasting to a stop, and not re-starting it until the light changes (or whatever changes that brought me to a stop). Also, I have stopped downshifting and blipping the throttle as I slow down... it's now pull in the clutch and use the brakes, and select the appropriate gear, in case a rapid burst of accelleration is needed.
I have done this for a week now, and guess what? My fuel range has greatly increased !! :) On average over the last year, I got 135-140 kms per tankful before the low fuel warning lit... on my latest tankful, using very limited idling and no blip the throttle downshifts and no engine braking, I went 189 kms before the warning lit up! A HUGE improvement!
Further to reducing my carbon footprint, I have planted a garden in my tankbag, and carry a viable, carbon absorbing patch of fresh greenery everywhere I go. This has elicited far more attention and comment from other roadusers (and pedestrians) than any of the other mods I have installed on the Duc... I encourage all members of Ducati Northwest to examine their own personal use of motor vehicles, and make an attempt to do what they can to lessen their rides' impact on our bountiful planet Earth!

JaredM
07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
HAHAHA. Great stuff! BUT, are you going to put your stock pipes back on with the catalytic converter? I can't quite tell, but it doesn't look like the blob is there anymore.

Side note. Mechanics, does using compression braking actually use less gas? I though the idea of compression braking was not putting enough gas in the chamber to combust and using the compressed air to slow down piston speed. Always wondered how that worked and I guess that this is my chance.

Bong
07-03-2007, 05:37 PM
You're kidding right? :rolleyes:

Coasting to a stop light with the engine off seems like "asking for trouble" and gives you no way to accellarate out of harms way.

Ok you got me, I bit... :o

Ric Caley
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
When I am coasting down, it's with the clutch in, and I kill the engine after stopping, once I have made certain it will not be needed again for at least 30 seconds... And my little garden in the tankbag was actually just oats and barley, grown in an Ikea galvanized pot, that I was delivering to a friend's bookstore... I grow it for his 2 cats that live there, as they never get out to munch the real thing... They love to eat the grass for their digestion.. they always attack it the moment I put it down! And yes, this was a bit of a spoof, BUT, the improvement in fuel economy is totally 100% true! If I was really devoted to the environment, I would be riding a new electric scooter, which is a viable transportation alternative here in Vancouver, where we get our electricity from Hydro-electric dams, and not from coal fired power plants like most Americans. And I have tried going back to the stock ECU and catalytic equipped exhaust(while my Termis were out to get ceramic coated)... the bike just felt sluggish and was way too quiet then!

Bong
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok, your first post sounded like you kill the engine while coasting to a stop light.

For me it's not really a problem since I don't commute on bikes - so most of my time riding is out in the rural areas and this is not an issue.

And most of our power here in the PNW is Hydroelectric as well. :)

yarjammer
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Please god let this be a joke! Idling for greater than 30sec illegal? WTF, how do you warm up your bike? From a safety/self preservation standpoint what is your plan for avoiding inattentive cages?

...and I thought Wa/Or came up with rediculous legislation. What's next; a ban on outdoor grilling, campfires, and farting?

JaredM
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh wow, glad it was a spoof for the most part...I was really trying to be nice :happy57:

sloppyjoe
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
to counteract this i will be blipping all i can. revving the engine high to downshift. engine braking to the moon. and making sure to be first in line at stop lights that do not pick up the bike on the magnets buried underground as to cause a longer idle.

Red Label Moto
07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Please god let this be a joke! Idling for greater than 30sec illegal? WTF, how do you warm up your bike? From a safety/self preservation standpoint what is your plan for avoiding inattentive cages?

...and I thought Wa/Or came up with rediculous legislation. What's next; a ban on outdoor grilling, campfires, and farting?

You warm it up by riding gently (but firmly) immediately after startup from cold until the engine is at normal operating temp.

jkester92
07-03-2007, 06:42 PM
My 1098 was green when I bought it, it would die on the way to stop lights, at stop lights, before down shifts and sometimes refused to run altogether, so I took it to Marty at Ducsea and he is the oppisite of green, he hates "Green" he threw away all my "green parts, the catiletic hooseedoosits, the exhaust vaulve thingamabobs, installed full termis,gas gussling ecu, and set it up to burn as much fuel as possibile, even set the idel up a little I think as a little jab at you "greenies" now it runs loud and free and when I am at a stop light I rev it up a little so I can smell a little raw fuel smell, I love it, it smells like wasted money, :action027

flyingducman
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I thought you had maybe aquired a Matrix Edition 998 :confused1

yarjammer
07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
You warm it up by riding gently (but firmly) immediately after startup from cold until the engine is at normal operating temp.

Not a chance where I live. To pull out from my street you need either ESP or a heavy throttle to avoid getting slammed by a speeding, inattentive soccer mom coveing over the crest of the hill.

In all seriousness, isn't the act of riding a motorcycle green enough? Unless we are riding full throttle everywhere we are easily surpassing the mileage of nearly all of the "green" vehicles out there w/o denying ourselves the pleasure of getting from point "A" to "B."

swassociates
07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
REPENT, SINNERS!

Earn Eco-Salvation the Quick and Easy Wilcox Way
Are you concerned that your profligate personal lifestyle is harming the environment? Losing sleep over the long-term ecological damage resulting from those greenhouse gases constantly emitted by your family, your Ducati, your pets, and your shrubbery? Do you want to become carbon-neutral, but just don't know how?
Well rejoice, sinner! Carbon atonement is no longer the exclusive preserve of the Malibu set -- with the Wilcox EcoPals Network! This unique new system lets you, the average Joe planet rapist, cleanse your tortured psyche of the stain of enviro-guilt for as little as $9.95 per year! If enough of you follow this simple three step program, we can save the world for our children -- who will soon be frolicking with healthy polar bears atop Earth's reforested glaciers. Act now before it's too late!

STEP 1: Catalog Your Sins

Your first step on the road to salvation is to take a frank inventory of your eco-transgressions. When answering the following questions, remember to be honest. We are all sinners in the eyes of Gaia, and it is important not to incur her wrath by fibbing.

1. Did your home consume less than 220,000 Kilowatt hours in 2006?
2. Was your combined residential energy bill less than $30,000 in 2006?
3. When you are traveling the three blocks from your hotel to the Palm d'Or Ceremony at Cannes, do you and your entourage use less than five SUVs?
4. When you travel to Berkeley to lecture on greenhouse gases, do you balance your multiple-limousine motorcade with at least one Prius?
5. In the previous year, did you travel less than 1 million miles on private and commercial jets?
6. In the previous five years have you, and members your immediate family, successfully avoided arrest for speeding and/or driving high in a Cadillac?
If you answered "no" to any of these questions, don't worry -- you can still reach salvation. Simply keep track of the number of "no" answers and proceed to Step 2.

STEP 2: Calculate Carbon Credits

As we say in the environmental community, now it's time to "pay the piper" for your carbon use. If you answered "yes" to ALL of the questions in Step 1, your fee is $9.95. For each "no" answer, add an additional $19.95, plus $4.95 carbon credit shipping and handling. Once you have calculated your total fee, send it to the Wilcox EcoPals Network, PayPal preferred!

STEP 3: Spread the Holy Eco-Word

Hallelujah, brother/sister, you are officially saved! The holy spirit of PayPal has washed away your CO2 sins in the healing Polar glacial waters! You are born again in the sweet bathing fluorescent light of carbon neutrality! Feel that spirit enter! The power of Mother Earth compels you! Hunga mwa blabla glooba flambla hoomcha doomcha gluppa!
Brothers and sisters, now that you have gotten yourself right with Gaia, it's time for you to go out and spread the good news about eco-redemption through the Wilcox EcoPals Network. Start a mission in your own neighborhood, whether it's Queen Anne, Ballard, or Fremont. Hold an oldtime Earth Tent Revival on your front lawn. Let your neighbors and friends know that no matter how they've sinned against Earth in the past, salvation is but one $9.95 mouse click away. Ask me about my new multilevel conversion fee program.

To help you bring those eco-sinners around to righteousness, feel free to download this Wilcox EcoPals bumpersticker and glue it to your SUV, boat, snowmobile, 1098, or Gulfstream G5. Now go and sin no more! But if you happen to backslide, remember to send in another $9.95.

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/photopost/data/500/890Gore_Sticker.jpg

sloppyjoe
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
i consider mine "green" due to the amount of cash spent on it:happy44:

robhar54
07-03-2007, 11:34 PM
That's totally great. Good on ya!

People look at me like I'm nuts when I ask about getting a bit more desmo music out of my bike while keeping the cat....

-Rob, avowed eco-freak.

robhar54
07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
In all seriousness, isn't the act of riding a motorcycle green enough? Unless we are riding full throttle everywhere we are easily surpassing the mileage of nearly all of the "green" vehicles out there w/o denying ourselves the pleasure of getting from point "A" to "B."

Well, that's kind of my thinking...or rationalization as it were.... And motorcycles are getting greener. Up until recently, per VMT, CO2 emissions for bikes were much lower than cars (and still are--about half the average auto!) since CO2 generated is purely a function of gas burned, but particulates and pollutants like NOX and HC were much higher. Fuel injection and catalysts are evening up the tally, and when Euro 3 regs go into effect (in 2009 I think), bikes will emit no more pollutants than cars, and continue to emit less CO2.

Personally, I think that's great.

Rob

yarjammer
07-04-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks Scott-

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Al Gore is among the likes of Micheal Moore in the socio-political realm. Al Gore has done/does more damage to the environment spewing his ecopropaganda than my redneck self will emit in a lifetime.

I'll be sure to leave instructions in my will for $9.95 to be sent to Al Gore on oil stained canceled check. Just checking, but what form of currency does Mother Nature prefer? I think she'll prefer my rotting flesh over chemically treated paper and refined metal.

Jeremy
07-04-2007, 08:49 AM

People look at me like I'm nuts when I ask about getting a bit more desmo music out of my bike while keeping the cat....

-Rob, avowed eco-freak.

That'd work, but I don't believe your bike has a CAT. It has the blob for one, but I think only the euro bikes actually have a catalytic converter in the blob. It's nothing more than a pre-muffler and an eyesore on the US bikes.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=25635.msg282352#msg282352

Lotus54
07-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I know the 1000 Multis don't have a cat (just a pre muffler) - I'm pretty sure the US version of the 620 is just a pre muffler also.

Mark

(The Lotus has a cat and the engine is totally stock, gets around 35mpg too!)

-Rob, avowed eco-freak.

Jared
07-04-2007, 09:21 AM

-Rob, avowed eco-freak.

Of course, the irony is that a catalytic converter actually produces MORE Carbon Dioxide as its primary function. It CONVERTS pollutants (sulfuric mostly) into Carbon Dioxide via the use of a catalyst, thus resulting in a higher CO2 concentration for the expelled gasses.

funrider900
07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
What an awesome thread! I went to the Wooden Boat festival last weekend and got some FREE OIL SORB TOWELETTS. I plan to hand them out to our future Harley Bretheren and do my part for our Mother Earth!:action027 I'm going to go drive thru a tank of gas in my 2 stroke V-6 ski boat now. Happy 4th!!!

GregorMac
07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks Scott-

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Al Gore is among the likes of Micheal Moore in the socio-political realm. Al Gore has done/does more damage to the environment spewing his ecopropaganda than my redneck self will emit in a lifetime.

I couldn't agree more. Best post on this thread.