PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to ride a 999 on the track...

kneedragger
09-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, I went to show my support for the NephCure 100 and showed up with my Honda RC-51 street bike. I met up with Ed Lockett (sp) and he came to the track with his 998 and 999R Fila bike! :eek: :eek: :happy44:

In any case, Ed came up to me and asked if I wanted to take the bike out and try it out... :eek: :eek: :eek: Ok, here I am with such a dilema...should I go out and ride this gorgeous machine or should I RIDE this gorgeous machine. I decide to go out there and ride the bike at about 50% of my riding capability. Now, the bike is set up for Ed who maybe weighs 150 with his riding gear on and here I am at a whooooping 260. So I immediately knew that the bike would most likely not handle the way that I knew it could/should.

Boy was I wrong! :eek: :scared10: I get out there and the bike just felt planted, no matter what speed I rode at! I was in the fast group, which many who were there will attest that it was a complete Fluster Cuck and so I definately had to pick my way thorugh all of the slower riders. I came in and Ed met me and asked what I thought of the bike and I immediatley told him that I was in-love and he would not be getting the bike back...EVER! :happy57: :happy57: Of course I was kidding, and then Ed tells me to go ahead and ride the bike some more...man oh man, what do I do, what do I do? I decide to ride one more session, this time I was gonna hook up with a couple of my fellow racer buddies and go out for some spirited laps. We definately had to pick our lines and hope that people kept theri lines. the more I picked up the pace, the more the bike seemed to call me a wuss! The more it called me a wuss, the faster I began to ride. Shit, now I am riding at about 70% and keep seing some huge $$$ signs every time I get on the throttle. I came in and told Ed that I was gonna ride my 51 since I didn't want to wadd his up. I get on my bike and ride for about 3 laps and my bike decides to sputter and quits on me, turns out there is some electrical issue with it. So I had to bring her back ot the pits, and put her away.

Ed comes over and asks what happened and he then offers me his bike...Hmmm, what to do, what to do...I of course took him up on his offer and rode the bike for the rest of the day. Each session picking it up more and more. Man on man, that bike handles like a friggin dream! One of my buddies was riding with me and he was timing us both and we were turning 1:34s which is not too bad especially with all of the traffic.

I just would like to Publically thank Ed for letting me take out his beauty and give her a propper flogging! :D :D :happy44: :D :D The bike is amazing, it handles great and has plenty of power to go around. If I had the opportunity, I would race one of these babies next year! Thanks again Ed, I had a blast!

Cheers,

Mario

Torben
09-09-2004, 02:25 PM
That experience sounds familiar :D
Glad you had an amazing time on the Duc Mario, now you see why we like them :)
My buddy Neil who runs Onewheeldrive.net had a similar experience at DNW2004 on a 999. Are you sure you guys didn't colaborate on your stories? :p
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=147&Itemid=69

CINDESMO
09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Wait a minute! Your Honda wouldn't run so you had to ride a 999R all day? No matter how you look at it, that is very funny! :evilgrin3

Bong
09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
So that was you haulin *ss down the straight with a gsxr tailing closely - and you hitting the limiter as you shifted into 6th! I was at the kink and saw first hand how fast you guys were going, it was nice to see that Fila 999R being ridden for what it was built for. I was jealous of all you guys riding, see you next Friday.

kneedragger
09-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Ok Cindy...thats it! You and me, tomorrow...outside DS! :happy44: :scared10: :happy44: :happy57:

CINDESMO
09-10-2004, 07:11 AM
I assume that you mean you will be there to pick up your new Ducati. Obviously, you can't ride that old heap around anymore - you said so yourself! :evilgrin3

Holeshot
09-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Wait a minute! Your Honda wouldn't run so you had to ride a 999R all day? No matter how you look at it, that is very funny! :evilgrin3

OH That is PRICELESS!!! I'm gonna have to bludgeon all my Honda ridding buddies with this little story. What happened to the Honda, let me guess.. electricals! Reg/Rec maybe? (or maybe I should have read the original post and I'd know).

- H (maybe I should change my handle to ADHD... )

PS. Yeap.. (really I had not read it). electricals.. man.. ig it's not cam-chain tenssioners (no Honda I-4's in this house) it seems to be the electricals.. :(

I gotta link this over to the RC sites I visit. Glad you enjoyed the Duc! Really.. they are on thier own plane (be it good or bad) and that 'R' must have been just dreamy :happy64: :cool:

Holeshot
09-10-2004, 07:50 AM
I assume that you mean you will be there to pick up your new Ducati. Obviously, you can't ride that old heap around anymore - you said so yourself! :evilgrin3

OK.. now I'm taking cover........

Ya know.. it just dawned on me.. I know where there is a brand-new Fila for about $5k under retail..... I've been keeping it quiet because I've been eyeing it all year watching the price slowly drop.. but I need to get real.. I'm not buying it this year.... :(

DRS
09-12-2004, 03:47 PM
i followed him for a bit and that fila 999r can move out.... damn ed, you've got your hands full with that bike... oh, and thanks for the tires...