PDA

View Full Version : 2FAST Seattle 100 was a great day except for...

DRS
09-09-2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.2-fast.org/2Fast-Seattle-100-PR1-04.html

except for my getoff in the turn 3 exit that left me with a broken left shoulder blade.

i was the corner worker on turn 2 during the pro rider exhibition session and got to watch josh hayes carrry his power wheelies from the exit of turn two all the way down the hill into turn 3; it was the coolest shit i've ever had a chance to witness. that and following jason pridmore through turn two and being right behind him as he's backing it into 3. got to even chase mario around on ed's 999r fila rep, man that bike is sweet. awesome day....... well, except for the asspacking that i received in turn 3.

later in the day, just before the weather went to hell, i broke my left shoulder blade after a very hard getoff in the exit of turn 3; a racer came from behind and clipped my rear tire at the exit of turn 3; sent me into a very hard highside that landed me on my head and shoulder; he broke his wrist, i broke my shoulder... both are a major ouch... i've got pain everywhere. i'll live though, and so will the bike. ducs can sure take a hit. i'm done for the season.

lll0228
09-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Ouch, that sucks. I am sorry to hear that DRS.

Note to myself: be careful at Turn 3 next Friday...

Torben
09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
That sucks dude I'm really sorry to hear that.
Anything we can do?

I warned you all about turn 3 a while ago - it eats lots of bikes :rolleyes:

Bong
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Yes, that was terrible that the guy hits you - and then has the gall to blame YOU for the incident :confused: At least your 996 held up pretty good with only a footpeg and left grip to replace. Join us next week though, you can help with the newer riders by coaching them throughout the day...

DRS
09-10-2004, 12:40 AM
yeah, next friday i'll deff try to show to help out in any way i can.

DRS
09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
That sucks dude I'm really sorry to hear that.
Anything we can do?

I warned you all about turn 3 a while ago - it eats lots of bikes :rolleyes:

turn 3 did not eat my bike; some idiot on a gxr 1K ate my bike. :mad:

9Mile
09-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Sorry about the crash...Always sucks.

There was alot of chaos in the 200 Group. There were quite a few racers out trying to dial in, get some practice and go fast, as well as alot of fairly slow street riders, many on big bikes. There were a few guys turning low to mid 1:30's and some turning 2:00's. Too much variation for everyone. I think that the "passing rules" also made things a bit dicey. I was out there on my sv650 getting passed on the straights and then trying to not piss people off by passing too close at the corner entrances. Alot of the street guys were taking big swoopy lines with early apexes which made passing at the corner entrances as we were allowed to a bit interesting to say the least. I had a near miss at the entrance of 9...My fault entirely. I was trying to pass an R1 and a Tuono R by passing at the corner entrance, the Touno started wide and then dove in as I was trail braking in. He saw me and strightened up or we would have traded paint.

It would have been better with 3 groups.

9Mile
09-10-2004, 01:53 PM
turn 3 did not eat my bike; some idiot on a gxr 1K ate my bike. :mad:

So was he trying to pass between 3 and four? or was he out of control on the brakes into 3?

Either is bad news, especially for a track day. There is not enough room to pass between 3 and 4 and not piss somebody off. No way to pass there in a gentlemanly fashion. If it's a race then so be it, but it is an aggressive move

DRS
09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
So was he trying to pass between 3 and four? or was he out of control on the brakes into 3?

Either is bad news, especially for a track day. There is not enough room to pass between 3 and 4 and not piss somebody off. No way to pass there in a gentlemanly fashion. If it's a race then so be it, but it is an aggressive move

since i never saw him until he hit me i can only assume that he was trying to go underneath me in 3 and ran wide and clipped me on the exit; which is an illegal pass because i had already dipped in to the corner. he was an asshat and he was not the only one out there yesterday. i was out there as a stealth course marshall with no vest on; it almost would've been better if i/we had vests on ALL of the control riders (marshalls) that were out on the track riding. oh well, live and learn and it's all part of the experience. ha ha

i was turning 1:38 - 1:45 consistantly throughout the day, but i was in control and only passing when safe; there were a lot of guys out there acting like it was a frickin race. it's really too bad....

Jody
09-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear that, Danny. Sounds like you got the worst of it, compared to your 996 and the other guy. How did his gixxer fare?

kamran
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry to hear about all the misfortunes...
One question, so how do they determine liability in these cases. Are you basically on your own as far as the damage and liability? Or is there a way of determining who's responsible?
Hope you feel better soon...

DRS
09-10-2004, 04:42 PM
just got word from mark that after i had left the track on wednesday that the other rider admitted responsibility for the accident and fessed up to hitting me. that makes me feel a little better but my shoulder is still broken.

DRS
09-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear about all the misfortunes...
One question, so how do they determine liability in these cases. Are you basically on your own as far as the damage and liability? Or is there a way of determining who's responsible?
Hope you feel better soon...

other riders, corner workers, and on track marshalls(control riders); i happened to be one of the on track marshalls that day, but i was not wearing a vest at the time of the accident. most accidents that occur on the track cannot be claimed under your insurance policy. i will not be reporting this one so it'll be expensive; thanks to some guy i could not even get an apology from.... :mad:

kamran
09-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Good to hear that. That's a step in the right direction.
Does that mean his insurance will take care of you? Or, insurances are not in effect in anyway on tracks?
Best of luck...

DRS
09-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, Danny. Sounds like you got the worst of it, compared to your 996 and the other guy. How did his gixxer fare? gixxr was worse than the 996; crash truck picked it up. i rode mine off the track with a broken shoulder. ouch!

9Mile
09-10-2004, 09:25 PM
i was turning 1:38 - 1:45 consistantly throughout the day, but i was in control and only passing when safe; there were a lot of guys out there acting like it was a frickin race. it's really too bad....

I thought the worst offenders were the "celebs", and Lash, to be a bit specific. I think the "Guests" were encouraged to go out a bit with the "fast" guys and mix it up. They came through way too hot on several occasions.

2-fast told everyone at the beginning of the day that it was a charity event first, track day second. And that in the same way that you should take it down a notch from race to track-day, you should take it down another notch from trackday for the Seattle 100. This was clearly spurned by most of the expert level racers in attendance.

Having said that, if they would have had a 300 level group with no real restrictions, I would have felt like everything that I saw in that group was typical. You go out taking your risks but shit happens. You expect a few close calls, but no-one rides like a championship is on the line.

Not having a more expert group is where they really screwed up.

DRS
09-10-2004, 11:02 PM
I thought the worst offenders were the "celebs", and Lash, to be a bit specific. I think the "Guests" were encouraged to go out a bit with the "fast" guys and mix it up. They came through way too hot on several occasions.

2-fast told everyone at the beginning of the day that it was a charity event first, track day second. And that in the same way that you should take it down a notch from race to track-day, you should take it down another notch from trackday for the Seattle 100. This was clearly spurned by most of the expert level racers in attendance.

Having said that, if they would have had a 300 level group with no real restrictions, I would have felt like everything that I saw in that group was typical. You go out taking your risks but shit happens. You expect a few close calls, but no-one rides like a championship is on the line.

Not having a more expert group is where they really screwed up.

well put. all things aside, 2fast did a great job and the day was a huge success.

9Mile
09-10-2004, 11:05 PM
well put. all things aside, 2fast did a great job and the day was a huge success.

Agreed. Good cause, and 70K is nothing to sneeze about!

Prolly would have gotten the 100 laps if not for the rain!

Jim is Cool
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Most of the time, you can claim your bike on insurance during a "track day".

Most policies state that you aren't covered while in a speed contest, sanctioned race event etc. But that all depends on how the organization is set up etc. and you're own specific policy.

Take a look at your coverage before you opt out, you may be suprised. I know during a NESBA event you shouldn't ever have an issue making a claim.

As far as liability and who's at fault. You pays your money, you take your chances, it's a race track, shit happens, not that it makes it any better.

BTW, the weather at the track today was great, a little damp in the morning and that was it. (no crashes!)

Tomorrow should be better.

DRS
09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
it's not really a question of whether or not my insurance will cover it, they will because i already talked to my agent about it. the thing is, there is only about $300-$400 damage to my bike; the bulk of the damage was to my body and my brand new helmet. ouch.... and i've got all winter to replace that and heal my shoulder. if i claim this accident and get my helmet and bike fixed i can't get into another accident within the next 36 months, if i do, they will cover that accident, then drop my motorcycle coverage. that i cannot handle. basically, i'd hate to waste a claim on a $500 bike damage claim, especially when i've got all winter to fix her up since i can't ride with a broken shoulder.

i was out at the nesba day today watching, wish i could ride, nobody was there.... i'll be there tomorrow as well, watching friends. if anybody sees a guy walking around with a red 2fast hat and an arm sling on, that's me, stop and say hi.

lates....

kneedragger
09-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Sorry to say this Danny, but unfortunately they will most likely NOT cover the 2-Fast event. The reason is this... The main tittle for the Seattle 100 is and always has been...

Racing Towards a Cure for Kidney Disease

This alone will raise red flags with the insurance company because they do actually call the organizations whenever anyone makes a claim from a track day. Trust me I know because I usually get 5-7 calls/year from the insurance companies asking me to verify that we are a track day company and not a race school nor a racing organization as well as making sure that we do not time our events.

I really do hope it all works out for you buddy and heal up and get your butt to the track on Friday, I'll put you to work! :D :D ;)

DRS
09-12-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah, i decided it'd be better if i don't claim this anyhow. i've got all winter to fix her up for the spring. i'll try to make it out there next friday to help out in any way i can.

TDAdams
09-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Coverage depends on your policy language, not the promotional title of the event. PM if you need a referral to a lawyer experienced in property insurance law. I'm a lawyer myself and would be happy to help get you hooked up.

DRS
09-12-2004, 03:43 PM
yeah, i talked to my insurance agent and i would've been covered because i working the event as a control rider/course marshall. my leathers took the hit pretty well so i'll just have to replace the minor damage to the bike and replace my helmet. the helmet is the biggest ouch. two month old arai rx7 corsair. :mad: