PDA

View Full Version : Ferracci Big Bore kit

martys
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Fast By Ferracci offers a big bore kit for the 1000DS (http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=756), but you have to ship the engine to them. Does anyone around here offer something similar?

Rich Quarre
07-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Don't know, but that's not a half bad price...all things considered.

Bong
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
That's gotta be the cheapest 10% hp increase I've ever seen offered!

Go for it Marty, although you may want to wait until the warranty runs out before modifying your engine. :rolleyes:

martys
07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking about winter projects, when the Smart bike will be garaged anyway for several months while I ride the touring bike. I think there's more to it than the $389 for this kit, you need to bore the heads, probably a good time to port and polish as well while its apart and maybe update some of the steel components with something lighter.

Sieg
07-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I belive Moto Corsa in PDX will install the FMF kit in-house, they probably send cylinders out for replating though. I've heard the FMF kit makes for a real strong motor.

NCR uses a similar mod for their DS1000 platform bikes.

NCR 1080cc Engine Kit:
(http://www.ncrfactory.com/en/ncr2/gallery/748/pages/pages/seat_support_s.html)
http://www.ncrfactory.com/en/ncr2/gallery/748/images/CATALOGONCR2003015.jpg
Description:
Code NCR.BIGBOR098
Price: 1200,00 Ä (+ 20% VAT)

router.exe
07-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking about winter projects, when the Smart bike will be garaged anyway for several months while I ride the touring bike. I think there's more to it than the $389 for this kit, you need to bore the heads, probably a good time to port and polish as well while its apart and maybe update some of the steel components with something lighter.

if you do the big bore, send the heads of to mbp and get a set of red heads and you may wind up with a 25% increase:cool2:

Sieg
07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
if you do the big bore, send the heads of to mbp and get a set of red heads and you may wind up with a 25% increase:cool2:
CHA-CHING$$$$

http://www.mbpducati.ca/can/shop/images/S8P1.JPG

Heads
Production Ducati heads leave a lot to be desired. Ducatiís obvious success in racing demonstrates that impressive power can be achieved, but the gains made on the track donít always make into the production line and are seldom reflected in stock port design. In terms of the ports; location, sizing, shape are often dictated by racing homologation requirements. For example, the 748R and RS boast very large (race designed) valves coupled with ports seemingly designed for a completely different motorcycle. Material selection as well, is compromised for production.
MBPís Testarosso Heads can unlock the potential of your stock Ducati engine and deliver that ideal combination of performance, reliability and drivability. We balance all of the elements by matching valve size, shape and seat geometry to port configuration. Our selection of materials for cylinder head components is dictated by our commitment to reliability that matches performance. Bottom line: We typically see horsepower gains of 15 Ė 25% (and occasionally up to 30%) from our work and our stuff stands up to the abuse of racing.

Here's a good article on the mod:
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/heads/heads.html

I'd love to do the big-bore kit and heads as I prefer the torque and power delivery of the air-cooled motors, but..................."Yes, that's right, to shoot for the big number, you get to spend about $6600 in total on the rebuild."

martys
07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
CHA-CHING$$$$

http://www.mbpducati.ca/can/shop/images/S8P1.JPG

I'd love to do the big-bore kit and heads as I prefer the torque and power delivery of the air-cooled motors, but..................."Yes, that's right, to shoot for the big number, you get to spend about $6600 in total on the rebuild."
:confused6

I was thinking of a budget of $1200-$1500

momo
07-20-2007, 06:54 PM
i have a better idea. Buy a wrecked 1098 and motorswap

Sieg
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
:confused6

I was thinking of a budget of $1200-$1500

:foflmao:

I know, I bought my S2R 1K for $7500 with 2800 miles on the clock not to mention the mods.

Left room to justify $3K in mods though..............another $6K is pushing it but it's only adrenaline producing money right? :cool2:

bob wells
07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Still, would be fun to say your motor was massaged by Ferracci!:happy57:

Aloha
Bob

Dr. Duc
07-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I have the Ferracci big-bore kit in my Paul Smart. Moto Corsa did the work. They sent the cylinders to Ferracci for boring and plating. While I was at it, I had them split the cases and lighten/balance/polish the crank. I already had the lightened flywheel. The motor absolutely rocks. I love it. I was a littel nervous that it might not idle well but it's perfect. It acts like a stock bike when I'm just cruising around but wind that throttle open and the power is amazing. Parts and labor (including swapping out the shock spring for me) was just under $2900.

Dale

martys
07-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I have the Ferracci big-bore kit in my Paul Smart. Moto Corsa did the work. They sent the cylinders to Ferracci for boring and plating. While I was at it, I had them split the cases and lighten/balance/polish the crank. I already had the lightened flywheel. The motor absolutely rocks. I love it. I was a littel nervous that it might not idle well but it's perfect. It acts like a stock bike when I'm just cruising around but wind that throttle open and the power is amazing. Parts and labor (including swapping out the shock spring for me) was just under $2900.

Dale
that sounds excatly what I had in mind. How long did it take Moto Corsa to do the work, a month? I know about your brake project, did you upgrade the valves as well?

I'm coming down for DNW2007, maybe we can run into each other and swap PS stories.

Dr. Duc
07-21-2007, 04:24 PM
that sounds excatly what I had in mind. How long did it take Moto Corsa to do the work, a month? I know about your brake project, did you upgrade the valves as well?

I'm coming down for DNW2007, maybe we can run into each other and swap PS stories.

It probably took about a month. I forget. It was last winter and there was no rush to get it done. I think that Ferracci tries to have a two-week turn-around on the boring and plating.

I haven't done any work on the heads yet. It's on the list of things to do, probably after I decide which wheels I'm going to go with.

I'll be at DNW on Saturday and Sunday. I'd love to check out your bike and hear more about what you've done/plan on doing with it.

Dale