PDA

View Full Version : All you ever wanted to know about Friday's track day

Torben
09-12-2004, 10:33 AM
So now we have all the final information for next Friday's track day. Hopefully this will answer all of your questions.

Pacific Raceways (formerly SIR) is located in Kent on Highway 18 just south of Covington. For a map to the track, click here (http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?zoomin=yes&name=&ed=wjNvOOp_0Tqxpu6gVULD6go60St_TqgX7ChSctgCAFZfFaA MimWIXaVda4cv4ohSWvZqQcwg_pUzLnTZ66U8VMu1Jbh5eiu86 QMDJs3ljIYAautp0mxK&state=WA&csz=Kent%2C+WA+98042-4601&ds=n&uzip=98042&mag=7&desc=&country=US&dma=819&cat=shop&resize=l&rezoom=0&.intl=us&compass=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0) .
For a map of the facility, click here (http://www.pacificraceways.com/info/facilitymap.cfm).
We will be gathering in the paddock area (feature #33 on the map).

Requirements - your machine:
Your bike must meet certain requirements before being allowed on the track. Please verify the following:

brakes in full working order
tires in good condition and correctly inflated (minimum 50% tread life remaining)
no fluid leaks
all fasteners are correctly tightened
taped or removed blinkers/headlights/brake lights
taped or removed mirrors
no sharp or broken-off foot pegs

If you would like to have your bike checked for track readiness, Ducati Seattle can assist you with verification.

Requirements - your protection:
Personal protective clothing must be worn. This includes:

UNCRASHED Snell or DOT approved helmet
unscratched full face visor
one piece or two piece zip together leather suits
leather gloves that cover the wrist
riding boots that protect the ankle and that are at least 8" tall

If you do not have leather, protective equipment made from Leather/Gore-Tex/Kevlar etc may be worn but must be approved by Adrenaline Freaks staff prior to being permitted on the track.
Ear plugs may be worn on the track.

Times:
Pacific Raceways will begin admitting riders at 7:30. There is usually a line so please arrive early. There is a mandatory rider's meeting which begins at 8:15 in the paddock. During this meeting, important information will be made available to riders including any changes to track conditions, weather briefings, important safety information, changes in flag procedures etc.

The track is hot at 9:00 and runs until 4:00. There is no official break for lunch. The day is broken into 1 hour segments - 20 minutes for each group. Please verify you are in the correct group:

Group 1 - Advanced: Expert racers only
Group 2 - Extremely fast street riders and first year Novice Racers
Group 3 - Street riders only

Food and refreshments:
You will be working very hard throughout the day so please be sure to bring enough food and liquid. More is better than less. There are concessions available however if you can, it's more economical to bring your own.
Ducati Seattle will be providing bottles of water.
Fluids such as Gaterade, Powerade, Rock Star etc are also a good idea.
Other sources of energy like bananas, proteins etc are a good idea.
Some people take saliene and potasium tablets as well to account for loss of these minerals from sweating however it's not necessary.

Other stuff:
Even though there is gas on site, make sure you have a full tank. The gas on site is 100 octance race gas and at last check is $8.50 a gallon. There may be others in the group that have gas cans if you don't have one but please don't rely on the generocity of others - come prepared.

We are working with Ducati Seattle to provide an on-site tech however this has not yet been finalized.

We will be creating a group area consisting of 3 easy-ups - 2 from Ducati Seattle and one from DJS. This can be used for storing your bike during off-track time as well as storing your personal effects. The Desmo Northwest banner will be flying high so you should be able to find us in the paddock.

The day will proceed rain or shine. If the weather is threatining and you have some, bring rain gear. Wet leather smells bad and isn't very comfortable.

It is also recomended that you limit alcohol consumption 48 hours prior to the event. You will need your wits about you - at 100 MPH you travel 146 feet per second. Your reaction time needs to be top notch so avoid anything that my dull it.

I think that's all for now.
More details about AF requirements can be found here (http://www.adrenalinefreaks.com/4starters.htm)

If you have questions that haven't been answered, ask away!
See you on the grid :D

Bong
09-13-2004, 07:59 PM
So who all is excited about our upcoming trackday :happy44: It's going to be fun riding with fellow members, riding and seeing ducs on the track is always a thrill. See you all Friday morning!

darkduc
09-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Woo Hoo! I can't wait! See you all there!

Squidley
09-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Torben,
On the big map is the star that says Lake Morton-Berrydale, is that where the track is?

Torben
09-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah kinda. The map is zoomed out a ways, but it's right off Highway 18.

TDAdams
09-14-2004, 02:48 PM
i'm out and bummed. rotator cuff blow or deltoid tear from weightliftng screwup on Saturday. left arm immobilized for a couple weeks for inflamm to go down and hopefully make case to avoid surgery. mario, i know it is too late for refund which is cool but if you want to refund it anyway I will be glad to give it right back to you for junior's upcoming race.

Holeshot
09-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm so excited about it just can't keep from posting about it anywhere! WEEEE! :happy57:

I just hope I can get enough sleep after flying into SeaTac at 9:00pm Thursday night.... *yawn*

Bong
09-16-2004, 03:51 PM
So who's excited about practicing their wet weather riding skills tomorrow!! I'll be there trying to be real smooth and getting a jump start on our wet winter riding season. See you all in the morning...

Apostate
09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Does being excited about watching everyone else practice their wet weather riding skills count? :D

I'd rather be riding than watching, but sometimes these things don't work out. See you all tomorrow!

Squidley
09-16-2004, 09:23 PM
When I've ridden in CA with them californian riders in the rain, I've always kicked their butts just because I'm more used to it. I'm so excited about tomorrow I hope I can sleep. I don't know if the rain or the unknown other riders scares me more, never done the track...

Dave R
09-16-2004, 09:47 PM
During my illustrious racing career in the early, cough, :happy69: cough 80's.. I found that rain racing tended to be a great HP equalizer and so the bikes with less HP and more daring or in my case skilled :D racers were able to beat those racers who were just a little faster than you in the dry.
I won most rain races..
Best advice is to practice your braking skills and technique in as much of an upright, fully weighted position over the center of your motorcycle.. You can brake amazingly hard in a straight line :eek: Just remember to coast thru the turns and brake and accelerate when you are most upright. If you are lucky enough to have rain slicks (rain race tires)..... wooo hooo ! :happy44:

I am out for this one but will think about buying some rain tires for the 748R by the last Oct date.

Now GO TO BED

Holeshot
09-17-2004, 05:36 AM
I managed to catch an earlier flight in from SFO so I'm feeling pretty rested this morning. WX Radar looks nasty.. man.. this is a tough call. Make a stack of money working some billable hours -or- run a possibly wet track day. Hmmmm hmmm seriously it's a tough call and I hope I make the right one within the next hour because I have to leave by then or I'm not getting on the track at all. :eek:

Torben
09-17-2004, 05:51 AM
It's actually looking a bit better than originally forecast. A few showers but the rain they had predicted for today is now due tomorrow.
I'll be there in an hour - see ya there! :D

Holeshot
09-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Dang I gotta get rolling outta here!!!! See ya there! I hope!

I think I can, I think I can.. I think I can..

Holeshot
09-17-2004, 05:40 PM
OK, THAT WAS FUN!!! Glad the track dried out so quickly and the helpful tips from Mario were great! That is by far the smoothest riding I've ever done and it felt awesome. I only recall 1 mid-corner corse correct all day long! That is a huge first for me!

Watching the kid... er... Marshall (geez I'm bad with names) was great. Can't wait to get all the images copie to the HD and relive it.

Not sure how many (if any) of you guys I caught on the camera but I'll be uploading an index file maybe tonight.. but more likely on Monday. Let me know if you spot yourself. The one person I know I captured with the Camera was Bong on the multi-colored SBK. I think I might have some more avatar material for ya!

Mario.. thanks! I look forward to the next event and I hope we can put together that Ducati only day so I don't have to spend all afternoon passing those slow I-4 powered bikes... :D

Once again the Diablos hung in there and took everything I could dish out to them.

in a word.. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :evilgrin3

lll0228
09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
I think his name is Mitchell, Holeshot. :) Very nice seeing you hauling monkey ass out there. I feel sorry for those who didn't show up!

Beautiful day, lots of wonderful bikes, only a few minor hiccups, great people and DesmoNorthwest banner flying high.

Special thanks goes to Ducati Seattle, Mario @ AF and everyone that came out! It was such a success. Let's do it again next year! And of course, our invincible Torben who pulled it all together. :) You deserve some Robert Mondavi tonight. :)

And I have to thank DJS and Keith for helping me get my bike ready and all the expert advice on taking on the track. THANK YOU!

Torben
09-17-2004, 06:53 PM
That guy was inspiring to say the least! Coming into turn 3 in 5th, sliding the bike left, then right - lots of body english and whaling through 3 and 4. That boy has mad skills! :scared10: Definitely watch for his name in the years to come.

As for me, I'm going to recover (I'm old and I'm sore) and have a nice glass of 1998 Mondavi :D

Great to see all you folks out on the track!b

Bones
09-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Great turn out and really great meeting a few of you, admittedly I am just a photographer (the enemy) but I know I did a few of you proud *coughcoughBongcough* with some of the shots I took.

Mitchell goes without saying, outside of KC (bike 183 WMRRA) I have not seen anyone get sideways in the turns. Phenominal. Wish I would have been down in 3 to film that.

Pictures (for those of you interested) will be up in a week, maybe a little more, email or PM me for a link.
Quick shot from Turn 4 today:
http://studio819.smugmug.com/photos/8674917-L.jpg

Though my camera did seem to take a liking to a certain yellow 996 today, not sure why, but I didn't drop a single shot with that bike. *shrug*

And big kudos to the people that bought raffle tickets for little Mario's excursion. I dropped in 2 free shots into that raffle so if there is a shot of you that you really like when you see the website go up you could win it!