PDA

View Full Version : which track school?

martys
07-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I'd like to take a (local) track school before the season is over. I've spoken with Mike Sullivan when we were in Spokane earlier this month. He's got a class at PR coming up in Sept. I see there's also a 2-Fast school in Sept. at PR. The price is about the same for both, so I'm wondering which gives more personal instruction, who will work with students more closely vs presenting concepts then hopping on the track and saying follow me.

Does anyone have experience with either/both and would recommend one over the other? If so, why?

thx.

Davidé
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I went with the 2-Fast performance school and I had a blast. From the feedback I got from the instructors, I really improved my body position which allowed me to greatly increase my speed and confidence. Mark and Brian (co-owners) gave a lot of one-on-one instruction and even though you have to wear a blue rash guard tank top, that hideous piece of couture gets you plenty of attention on the track from the control riders / instructors. I also like the school's use of mini cones to indicate the line (I am not sure if anyone else does that). Lastly, 2-Fast has the "lean machine," a motorcycle simulator that allows you to "feel" what you should be doing while flying around the track.

Now, that said, I am intriuged by Sullivan's school in that Sully is the most experienced racer in the club yet seems to have the most open (underbooked) track days out of the four local companies. Sounds like that scenario lends itself to (1) wide open track time, (2) a preferrable student to instructor ratio, and (3) top-notch perspective from which to learn. Before my accident I was planning on the September Sullivan school, but it looks like I will wait until next season.

Good luck Marty!

wsuduc
07-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I have not done the Sully school so NFHE. However, I did the 2Fast school (200 level) and there was only 2 students in it! :happy44:

So, I rode with Mark every session one on one! Very valuable to me.

flyingducman
07-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Did Mike's school last August (Beginner Racer class).

Learned lines, gearing, spots at PR to look-out for as well as general track riding instruction. You can't get it all in one class of course. Felt I got my money's worth amd would recommend it to anybody who likes to ride the track.

Haven't done 2-Fast.

martys
07-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Greg! My thinking is one of these one day schools first, and if I like it (like I wouldn't!) am thinking about the 2 day superbike camp in CA. in the spring.

Bones
07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Both groups run a specatular set up I have to say. I have sat in on both of them and watched what they do. And while I can't say which is better I will say this....

IF YOU ARE WANTING TO DO A SCHOOL THIS YEAR AT PACIFIC RACEWAYS DO NOT HESITATE THIS SEASON, PRICES WILL BE GOING UP IN 2008 DUE TO PACIFIC RACEWAYS RAISING THEIR PRICES.

3 of the track day groups have already told me this. Hopefully this translates to PR FINALLY updating the track.

martys
07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
thanks all. I'm signed up for the 2-Fast 100 level class Sept 5th. Hopefully I'll "stink less" when done. :p

bob wells
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I have done both 2 fast twice and I still stink :happy57:

I doubt that, but it is funny.:happy69:

Aloha
Bob

Mitch
07-28-2007, 09:59 AM
3 of the track day groups have already told me this. Hopefully this translates to PR FINALLY updating the track.
We can only hope ... :rolleyes:

It seems absurd that Pacific can charge fees close to somewhere like Miller or Thunderhill, which are much better facilities (on and off the track), but I guess it's "location, location, location"