PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with this bike?

ijji
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
This red 800 has been for sale for quite some time. I have no idea if what they are asking is a fair price or not. Good, bad, otherwise? Thoughts?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/383929895.html

Cogs
07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Who's "Desmond Ue":headscratch:

Sieg
07-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Hard to say without a personal inspection. Photo's leave a lot of questions.
Could be a cage dealer who doesn't appreciate Euro bikes.

momo
07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
it is a cage dealer. i'd be leery about that bike. but who knows. my friend also expressed interest in it.

wsuduc
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
the price has dropped a fair amount since it was first posted.

Not sure why it is not selling. I think it used to say it had "Electric Start!"

Scottsst
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
maybe someone sould call them and ask al the right Questions and find out what is really going on with that bike ?

Sieg
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Could be worth a personal inspection and test ride.............it would be a switch to take advantage of a car salesman :cool2:

Scottsst
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Could be worth a personal inspection and test ride.............it would be a switch to take advantage of a car salesman :cool2:

maybe it could be worth the time! I really don't know much about that model of ducati anybody

Nathan
07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
It looks like it is at one of those real high end car dealers up north!!! Thats probably why.

Scottsst
07-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I just found the web page of the car lot this bike is at . They had more pics of it from what I can tell for one it needs to be retabed it goes out at the end of the month and it missing the right side mirror. it has pilot powers on it can really tell what state they are in or if they are 2CT's or not . Also it looks like it may be chained to a pole at the lot to the frame just above the right side rear set

Bill Anderson
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Not too far from me. It will give me something to check out this week. Given the location, I would not think they are a high end auto dealer, those are in Kirkland and Bellevue.
http://www.questmotorsinc.com/
And for more info on the DUC:
http://www.questmotorsinc.com/detail-2006-ducati-800_super_sport-800_desmodue-1735155.html

Red Label Moto
07-30-2007, 11:15 PM
The owner of that car lot wandered into my store some time back, like many moons ago. He saw this on my floor which is now long gone:

http://www.redlabelmoto.com/details.asp?srID=234

He said hey he has one just like that. His auction guy had just bought it for I can't remember exactly what figure but suffice to say it was WAY WAY too much. Evidently the guy had got excited over the concept of a nearly new red Ducati for less than 10g's. Oops! Thats going to leave a mark!

Its been there quite a while enduring god knows what although it is probably a decent bike.

SURVEYOR
07-30-2007, 11:47 PM
The bike is only chain during the day, It's not out at night.
when I stop & look at it it had 13k miles.
It must be ridden home at night.

Davidé
07-31-2007, 06:59 AM
It did say something like "electric start and ready for summer fun" :rolleyes: plus they were selling it for $500 or so above retail. Finally, two or three months later they are getting close to the ball park, well, maybe the ball park parking lot. "Desmondue," gimme a break! :p

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
The bike is only chain during the day, It's not out at night.
when I stop & look at it it had 13k miles.
It must be ridden home at night.
The ad says 1,575 miles.

seattle.guy
07-31-2007, 11:39 AM
I spoke to these knuckleheads back in late April when they acquired the bike. Seems the owner bought it at a used car auction because it was "red and shiny". He had no idea about the bike, found it uncomfortable, and quickly put it up for sale at his dealership for $8,000. When I was considering a ss800, I called them and had a chat with "Ted" the sales guy. They obviously knew nothing about the bike. Didn't have the manual, extra keys, etc., but Ted pointed out to me that the bike was ready for "Summer Fun".

I nicely told "Ted" that the bike was way overpriced by at least $1,500 bucks as most dealers were discounting new ones for that much off of the base $8,499 base price, in addition to the problem with "no red key", manual, etc. He said he would pass this info on to the dealer.

Ted called me back and said the dealer would be willing to reduce his price by $500 (they still didn't get it). At that time I was able to wean out the fact that the dealer bought it for $7,000 at auction. I told them they would be lucky to recoup that cost, and a more fair price would be around $6,200.

This was about three months ago.

I hate to see a nice bike get shoved off to a cager, looking for some dumb, young guy to be blinded by the "red shiny summer fun" story.

I tried to tell them.

Scottsst
07-31-2007, 12:10 PM
now there is the problem when a car dealer trys to make a sale any motorcycle they are a CAR LOT not a bike dealer they lack the know how and most the time like in the case the documents to back up the bike .When this bike get sold I hope that the buyer knows what he is getting into and has the bike checked out first !

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
No red key? That is a big problem right there. Who sells their bike at a "used car" auction? The photos look good, but I wonder if the bike was wrecked and sold at salvage.

Sieg
07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
It said "pre-owned clear title"

What is the cost associated with no red key, replace the ECU/Ignition?

Could be a buy if the someone wants to play. Start with having a dealer run the vin # to get some history information.

They will at some point want to unload this bike since car dealers don't like having inventory that doesn't turn.

They have little knowledge so I'd factually de-value their product in their eyes starting with the ECU and service history and make them an offer. :cool2:

Davidé
07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
What is the cost associated with no red key, replace the ECU/Ignition?Yep, you have to replace the bike's brain = well worth going elsewhere if you are prone to losing keys.

wsuduc
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
It said "pre-owned clear title"

What is the cost associated with no red key, replace the ECU/Ignition?

Could be a buy if the someone wants to play. Start with having a dealer run the vin # to get some history information.

They will at some point want to unload this bike since car dealers don't like having inventory that doesn't turn.

They have little knowledge so I'd factually de-value their product in their eyes starting with the ECU and service history and make them an offer. :cool2:

On my monster it was about $2300+ to replace the red key. I didn't.

Sieg
07-31-2007, 03:24 PM
On my monster it was about $2300+ to replace the red key. I didn't. That's a good start at factually devaluing their product :cool2:

ijji
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
How about we all "factually devalue" this bike and get it down to a couple hundred. DNW could then have a "loaner bike" for when members are in need :happy57:

Sieg
07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
How about we all "factually devalue" this bike and get it down to a couple hundred. DNW could then have a "loaner bike" for when members are in need :happy57:..............anyone have a reason to take advantage of a cage salesman? :cool2:

The official DNW guest bike..............negotiated especially for your riding pleasure by the local Italian Mafia :angel:

So.......how low can you go?

Scottsst
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
No red key? That is a big problem right there. Who sells their bike at a "used car" auction? The photos look good, but I wonder if the bike was wrecked and sold at salvage.

I was thinking it was a drug sesiure bike !

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I was thinking it was a drug sesiure bike !
That would explain the lack of keys and owners manual.

Scottsst
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
That would explain the lack of keys and owners manual.
I have worked at a couple of car lots and with people that sold cars on the side and they both go to the drug auctions often its a good source for cheap cars that most of the time are going to need a small amount of work to sell !

ijji
07-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Well... the person I know that is interested in this bike bought the carfax report on it. The only thing it says is that the bike was bought at a local auction on April 27th with only 1485 miles on it. No other data was available. It may well have been a siezure bike. In any case, they have put on a few miles since it was bought at auction.

Bong
07-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Funny thing, on my way to the birthday party in Bothell this evening - I drove right by the dealership on 196th east of I-5 in Lynnwood.

Saw this SS but didn't have time to stop. On the way home it was gone, so they either put it inside the building or someone rode it home. Didn't look too bad on the drive by.

ijji
08-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, I emailed good old Ted last night and explained that without the red key and maint. records I would only give him 2300 cash for it. Here is his reply:

"We are losing $ 1000.00 at the ad price . That price is firm"

oh well...

Sieg
08-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Email him with the costs and service issues associated with not having that little red key. He's looking to to screw someone due to their ignorance if he knowly sells the bike as is for the listed price.

Mitch
08-01-2007, 12:29 PM
What, a (used, I think) car dealer screwing someone? :eek: :p

(But, I agree it is a bit above and beyond the normal, if they are aware of all the problems here)

Bill Anderson
08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
That price is firm
See what Ted says on Labor Day. :rolleyes:

ijji
08-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I did explain the replacement costs. I think he has been pressured by more than just lil' old me. He seemed a a bit annoyed in his response.

Davidé
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I did explain the replacement costs. I think he has been pressured by more than just lil' old me. He seemed a a bit annoyed in his response.Did he respond via email? If so, do post it, in the name of "summer fun" and for the amusement of all (as if this thread isn't enough :rolleyes:)!

SURVEYOR
08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
The bike had it's 600 mile service done at Eastside Mototsports and is still under factory warrenty untill 7/07/2008

Sieg
08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
The bike had it's 600 mile service done at Eastside Mototsports and is still under factory warrenty untill 7/07/2008
Someone finally ran the vin#! One could assume that red key is somewhere in the vacinity.

Mitch
08-24-2007, 01:29 AM
My question is, is the original bike, good ol' Desmodue -

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/401984659.html

more or less over priced than this one?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/400386799.html

Bong
08-24-2007, 06:54 AM
m...ore or less over priced than this one?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/400386799.html

Someone had to really like and want that 999 to pay anywhere near their asking price :eek: