PDA

View Full Version : North Cascade Highway

Klip
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I keep hearing all kinds of wonderful comments about a mystical place called North Cascade Highway...

"Oh man, you GOTTA ride the North Cascade Highway!"

"Have you been out on the North Cascade Highway yet? It's sweet!"

"Make sure you ride the North Cascade Highway. You'll love it!"

etc.

But I can't seem to find it! I've looked on Yahoo maps and Google Earth with no luck. North of Tacoma, I don't know the area very well once off the major highways. Can anyone give me a link to an online map showing me where it is? Or possibly a well written description of it's location?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!

motodave
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
North cascades hiway is highway 20 or state route20 from whidbey island to the eastside of the state of washington, but the fun on that road starts just past new halem and runs all the way in Mazama.try a search on highway 20.:happy44:

Rich Quarre
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
It's Hwy 20 from I-5 near Mt. Vernon over the North Cascades through Winthrop to Hwy 97 at Okanogan. Or, after Winthrop, Hwy 20 to Hwy 153 to Hwy 97 past Chelan to Wenachee. Then Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass, or better yet, Hwy 2 to Hwy 97 (again) over Blewett Pass and Hwy 970 to I-90 at Cle Elum.

Davidé
07-31-2007, 03:03 PM
So what you're saying is, it's Highway 20, right? :p :happy57: :action027

drewduc
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Just got back from a ride up that way. An easy way to get there could be I-5 exit 280 and head toward Darrington. There are signs pointing you toward North Cascades Highway. I think its about 30 miles from the exit to Darrington. Its an awesome ride!

AM-A-Duc
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
just a little heads up after you hit Winthrop turn around and come home the same way . the back side of the mts. is BOOR-RING.

Habanero
07-31-2007, 03:56 PM
just a little heads up after you hit Winthrop turn around and come home the same way . the back side of the mts. is BOOR-RING.

oh man...you need to explore a bit more. There is a ton of great riding in Eastern WA. If you just keep following 20 across the state, it is a great ride. The Sherman Pass, Republic, Colville corner of the state is loaded with great roads, and very few people.

It's really great in late September and October when it cools down and the fall colors come on.

Bong
07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
oh man...you need to explore a bit more. There is a ton of great riding in Eastern WA. If you just keep following 20 across the state, it is a great ride. The Sherman Pass, Republic, Colville corner of the state is loaded with great roads, and very few people.

It's really great in late September and October when it cools down and the fall colors come on.

Um, I agree! :rolleyes:

The North Cascades (Hwy20) is ranked #1 in the Destinations Highways riding book. Generally people refer to the section between I-5 and Winthrop.

Keep going east though and the twisties continue all the way to the east edge of the state. The section between Twisp and Omak was freshly resealed last year and offers great grip.

Would be happy to lead a weekend ride over there :happy44:

Rich Quarre
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
So what you're saying is, it's Highway 20, right? :p :happy57: :action027

Yea, yea...I think that's what I meant to say.:rolleyes:

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I believe the term "North Cascades Hwy." commonly refers to that part of Hwy. 20 which passes through the North Cascades National Park, or roughly from Marblemount to Mazama. Winthrop is a common turn around point for day rides due to some nice restaurants there. Be sure to gas up at Marblemount and Winthrop, as there is no gas in between.

Two years ago I rode Hwy 20 from the Idaho border to Rockport. I am not as enamored with the New Halem-Winthrop section as many members are because of the traffic and the patrols. The part between Tonasket through Republic and east over Sherman Pass to Kettle Falls is my favorite.

If anyone takes Bong up on his offer, Bill Wahl recommends this place to stay in Colville:
http://www.colvilleinn.com/ and this place to eat: http://www.theoutpostresort.com/

I agree with what Scott said, the best riding in the state is east of the Cascades.

Joe
07-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Two weekends ago three of my friends and I left Arlington at 5am took hwy 530 to Rockport then to Winthrop on hwy 20. At that time of the morning we passed 3 cars on the road. If you wait till later you get stuck behind caravan trains of motorhomes. It was a nice quick trip.

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Two weekends ago three of my friends and I left Arlington at 5am
:bowdown: All you have to say is, "we pulled a Bong" or "we Bonged it", and we will know what time you left.

Scottsst
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
:bowdown: All you have to say is, "we pulled a Bong" or "we Bonged it", and we will know what time you left.
one more I like to use is the sun had not come up :indiffere

AM-A-Duc
07-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I prefer a "Bongage" I would love to take him up on his offer since I just turned south and came home last time I went. I did not care for it at all. if there is better than west of Winthrop "Bring it":)

Nathan
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Best time of year to ride it is the first week it is open. NO traffic and there is snow every where. Really pretty, not a single car and not all that warm but a different view then you normally get. I highly recomend it.

ALL
07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
I just road this today.

If are going to ride it I recomend a week day... there is virtually no traffic
and it is generally not patroled on the weekdays...

And don't bother after Winthrop unless you like to go fast in a straight line :happy44:

Bong
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Am-a-duc and All, you are missing a whole new world of twisties past Winthrop! Winthrop is just the warm up, you have Omak Republic Tiger and beyond on Hwy 2 to enjoy even more sets of twisties. :)

Bong
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Two weekends ago three of my friends and I left Arlington at 5am took hwy 530 to Rockport then to Winthrop on hwy 20. At that time of the morning we passed 3 cars on the road. If you wait till later you get stuck behind caravan trains of motorhomes. It was a nice quick trip.

Wow I think I found new riding partners to join in early morning rides :happy44:

Scottsst
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Wow I think I found new riding partners to join in early morning rides :happy44:

I'm up for it if your foot is up to it and you want to go during the week give me a day or two notice and I will be there if I can !

jbcjr
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Bong,

Put that bad boy together and you can count me in! I haven't been east of Twisp on 20 and would love to venture further...

Would be happy to lead a weekend ride over there :happy44:[/QUOTE]

ALL
07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Actually today I tried going beyond winthrop....
came back via 2... it sucked ... didn't go out to omak though....

Bong
07-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Actually today I tried going beyond winthrop....
came back via 2... it sucked ... didn't go out to omak though....

Yeah, I avoid coming back thru Stevens due to traffic and slow speed limits thru the many small towns along Hwy 2.

Hwy 97 (Blewett Pass) is much nicer. But the slog along I-90 is a better prospect still than Hwy 2.

Really can't avoid a little freeway time to get to the nice roads on the east side of the Cascades. :(

ALL
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll have to try a new route next time ... maybe go north to canada ...
I got the time ...:)

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM
one more I like to use is the sun had not come up :indiffere
:bowdown: Another favorite term for leaving before daylight is to say that you departed at "Oh-Bong-30".

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Am-a-duc and All, you are missing a whole new world of twisties past Winthrop! Winthrop is just the warm up, you have Omak Republic Tiger and beyond on Hwy 2 to enjoy even more sets of twisties. :)
There is also Loup Loup Summit between Twisp and Okanogan. The west side of Sherman Pass is a roller coaster. Those of you without sport tourers (hard bags = multiday road trips) are indeed missing a whole new world of riding east of the Cascades.

Nathan
08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Yes yes yes, Sherman pass is sweeeeeeet! Rode one side to the other and only came up on one car. The west side is the best.

Nathan
08-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I have also heard coming back Hwy 3 in Canada is pretty fun. You would have to grind it out on I-5 but if 3 is cool it might be worth it.

Habanero
08-01-2007, 07:00 AM
I have also heard coming back Hwy 3 in Canada is pretty fun. You would have to grind it out on I-5 but if 3 is cool it might be worth it.

Lots of good riding across the border. No need to slog back on I-5, Highway 9 is very nice from BC down to Arlington, then head for Granite Falls and Monroe.

Il Marzocco
08-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I rode this a few weeks ago. Everyone in Winthrop was telling me to watch out for deer. They say there is a big crop this year. Right now is prime time for them to come down to road level.

+1 on riding east from Winthrop. I went out to Grand Coulee dam through Omak. Let's be clear: that section is not tight and twisty mountain roads. Past Omak it's big sky open country, big rolling hills, sweeping turns, no cars. Resist the temptation to go hypersonic speeds, just in case.

+1 on early morning, weekday, etc. Hwy 20 is no fun at 50mph. Hell, it's not a big challenge at 70 east of the lakes.

Enjoy!

beyote
08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Schweeet.

Just say "when" Klip.

rb_duc
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Any date suggestions on this? Mid to late August or the Labor day weekend (leave on Friday?). Open to suggestions.

PS> Won't make it to Portland - stuck at work - darned

Cheers

Um, I agree! :rolleyes:

The North Cascades (Hwy20) is ranked #1 in the Destinations Highways riding book. Generally people refer to the section between I-5 and Winthrop.

Keep going east though and the twisties continue all the way to the east edge of the state. The section between Twisp and Omak was freshly resealed last year and offers great grip.

Would be happy to lead a weekend ride over there :happy44:

Klip
08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Outstanding! :jumping41

Thanks for all the tips everybody.

:bowdown:

router.exe
08-01-2007, 05:54 PM
i'd be happy to lead another monday ride to that area if anyone is interested.

Bill Anderson
08-02-2007, 12:12 AM
i'd be happy to lead another monday ride to that area if anyone is interested.
I might be. I have been sticking around the house this week because of a cold and my son starting work (first job), so I thought I should be by the telephone in case anything came up. Hopefully neither item will be an issue by Monday.

router.exe
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
if anyone else is interested, let me know and i'll start a ride thread

GregorMac
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Which way do you guys prefer to ride this sucker? I've only ridden it clockwise: I-5 to D'ton, Winthrop, Wet-snatch-ee, up and over 97, and back on I-90.

Any different counterclockwise?

Bong
08-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Which way do you guys prefer to ride this sucker? I've only ridden it clockwise: I-5 to D'ton, Winthrop, Wet-snatch-ee, up and over 97, and back on I-90.

Any different counterclockwise?

Absolutely....counter clockwise is my preferred route. It's really nice to head westbound from Winthrop with the sun to you back and most traffic headed east to Winthrop. Plus I get the I-90 slog out of the way early in the day.

Joe
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM

I am always up for early morning rides let me know the next time you go.

GregorMac
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Absolutely....counter clockwise is my preferred route. It's really nice to head westbound from Winthrop with the sun to you back and most traffic headed east to Winthrop. Plus I get the I-90 slog out of the way early in the day.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that,as well. Good deal. I think I'm feeling sick...<cough, cough>

Bill Anderson
08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
if anyone else is interested, let me know and i'll start a ride thread
It seems at least three of us are interested. Why don't you post up a separate thread ?

Bill Anderson
08-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I cannot make a Monday ride afterall as I must take my son into Group Health that morning.

wanaD
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
just a little heads up after you hit Winthrop turn around and come home the same way . the back side of the mts. is BOOR-RING. :jumping41 Highway 97 over Blewitt Pass, as a continuation of the Cascade loop (actually it Swack Pass as I remember, but the WDOT gave in to popular usage) is fun for its sweepers when there's little traffic. Then, turn around and ride the whole thing in the other direction. You can ride those sweepers at real high :whistling: speed.:happy44:

Bong
08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
:jumping41 Highway 97 over Blewitt Pass, as a continuation of the Cascade loop (actually it Swack Pass as I remember, but the WDOT gave in to popular usage) is fun for its sweepers when there's little traffic. Then, turn around and ride the whole thing in the other direction. You can ride those sweepers at real high :whistling: speed.:happy44:

Yes you can! :cool2: (disclaimer - I don't ride above the posted limits :angel: )

router.exe
08-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes you can! :cool2: (disclaimer - I don't ride above the posted limits :angel: ) i'm not going to anymore:angel:

wanaD
08-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I rode this a few weeks ago. Everyone in Winthrop was telling me to watch out for deer. They say there is a big crop this year. Right now is prime time for them to come down to road level.

+1 on riding east from Winthrop. I went out to Grand Coulee dam through Omak. Let's be clear: that section is not tight and twisty mountain roads. Past Omak it's big sky open country, big rolling hills, sweeping turns, no cars. Resist the temptation to go hypersonic speeds, just in case.

+1 on early morning, weekday, etc. Hwy 20 is no fun at 50mph. Hell, it's not a big challenge at 70 east of the lakes.

Enjoy!:( I rode over 410 and up through the canyon north of Yakima Sunday. Had lots of fun after I got over seeing a fawn dragging its hind legs behind it on the side of the road about 20 miles east of Enumclaw. Grew up deer hunting, but can't get over the horror of what vehicles can do to animals (and conversely, what they can do to a guy on a bike) be careful.

Scottsst
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
:( I rode over 410 and up through the canyon north of Yakima Sunday. Had lots of fun after I got over seeing a fawn dragging its hind legs behind it on the side of the road about 20 miles east of Enumclaw. Grew up deer hunting, but can't get over the horror of what vehicles can do to animals (and conversely, what they can do to a guy on a bike) be careful.

yeah I know where you are coming from with the deer hunting and also elk I have seen what a deer can do to a car and a bike and I never wish that on anyone I never want to see it happen again but it will