PDA

View Full Version : Sport bikes, glasses, and helmets

kurtfriedrich
07-31-2007, 03:11 PM
The CR pointed out to me yesterday that I should have my head lower, more bent over. Good theory But

with my helmet and glasses, when I get down on the tank, I can only see the tank. Its been 7 years since I was on the track, but I don't remember this being such a problem then, so I am asking ...

do different helmet brands have more and less "upper viewing" - meaning the cut out for your viewing goes higher up the helmet? This helmet is a Shoei.

If anyone else has had this issue, and tested brands, please fill me in.

Kurt

wsuduc
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Talk to Bill B on the Anatra team. He wears a pair of cool looking black frame/yellow tint perscription glasses when he rides.

As far as I know he is blind as a bat without them on! :happy57: And he fast!

...... maybe that is why he is fast, he can't see anything in front of him?

reznor999
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Talk to Bill B on the Anatra team. He wears a pair of cool looking black frame/yellow tint perscription glasses when he rides.

As far as I know he is blind as a bat without them on! :happy57: And he fast!

...... maybe that is why he is fast, he can't see anything in front of him?
I have always used Arai RX7 or Quantum helmets. I do sometimes wear glasses in the helmet. Pretty basic wrap-arounds with prescription lenses originally purchased for shooting but I like the happy yellow tint on a grey day. I don't have any issue with blocked vision.

Maybe the key is the wrap-around style sitting tight to the face. I did once have a lens pop out in my helmet on the start grid just as the board went sideways, though. That was a lot of fun.

kurtfriedrich
07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
I have always used Arai RX7 or Quantum helmets. I do sometimes wear glasses in the helmet. Pretty basic wrap-arounds with prescription lenses originally purchased for shooting but I like the happy yellow tint on a grey day. I don't have any issue with blocked vision.

Maybe the key is the wrap-around style sitting tight to the face. I did once have a lens pop out in my helmet on the start grid just as the board went sideways, though. That was a lot of fun.

thanks.

Do you think the yellow helps you see the track better?

Prior NESBA event, I asked the CR to check me out for moving to I, per chance, I decided to put my sunglasses on too. Big mistake, as they kept sliding off my nose. So while trying to impress the CR, I settled into a pattern of fixing them: each lap, right after I hit the 2nd apex on 2, I would flip the visor up, push the glasses up, flip visor back down. Definately not what I wanted to be doing!

Kurt

Bong
07-31-2007, 03:53 PM
With my whiplash injury from 16 yrs ago I cannot look "up" as much as I'd like to. That's why I can't hug the tank as well as a lot of racers can.

My helmet of choice is the Arai Corsair, but have tried a Shark helmet as well. The Shark has better side vision but the top vision is the same as the Arai.

Sieg
07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
My KBC VR2 offers good vertical vision when tucked, but regretefully I have not found a pair of glasses that works comfortably with the interior of this helmet. Before the brand bashing starts - I know its not an Aria or Shoei but it does work for Mat Mladin. :happy57:

Bong
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
My KBC VR2 offers good vertical vision when tucked, but regretefully I have not found a pair of glasses that works comfortably with the interior of this helmet. Before the brand bashing starts - I know its not an Aria or Shoei but it does work for Mat Mladin. :happy57:

Why would there be brand bashing? Buy the helmet that fits your noggin the best!

wsuduc
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Why would there be brand bashing? Buy the helmet that fits your noggin the best!

From the reports I have read, $$ does not = a quality helmet.

So, the $500 Arai on my head is pure placebo! :happy57:

AM-A-Duc
07-31-2007, 07:52 PM
if the 500$ arai would have fit over my 900$ nose I would have gotten one.

martys
07-31-2007, 07:58 PM
I just picked up an Arai Corsair to replace my Arai Profile. The fit is very similar, but the ventilation of the Corsair is awesome. Same faceshields so I can re-use my iridium shield. People say the Corsair is loud, but I always ride with earplugs so no big deal for me.

momo
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
thanks.

Do you think the yellow helps you see the track better?

Prior NESBA event, I asked the CR to check me out for moving to I, per chance, I decided to put my sunglasses on too. Big mistake, as they kept sliding off my nose. So while trying to impress the CR, I settled into a pattern of fixing them: each lap, right after I hit the 2nd apex on 2, I would flip the visor up, push the glasses up, flip visor back down. Definately not what I wanted to be doing!

Kurt

try going from a bi-focal to a single lense :) :jumping41

router.exe
07-31-2007, 08:03 PM

or a tinted shield and contacts :cool2:

bob wells
07-31-2007, 08:17 PM

When my eye doc started talking tri-focal I said "that's it". Lasik here I come. All my life I have lived with glasses under my helmet, hurting, fogging and my eye sight was so bad they were heavy. Had Lasik in 2000. Greatest 1000 bucks I ever spent. I will admit my vision was a poster boy for what Lasik does.

Now I use an Arai Profile, mirrored shield with a sunblocker thing here in Hawaii. I can sympothise with contact wearers when having to crack the shield for ventalation for fresh air or fogging, because I crack mine open to get more air and sometimes I can get dust coming in.

I don't think the sunblocker thing would be a good idea when tucked and looking through the top part of shield, because it does blurr a little bit.

Aloha
Bob

Dave R
07-31-2007, 10:18 PM
I have struggled with the glasses thing more than once but its really scary when you are on the track ! I am going to single vision lenses for track days, at the advice of my wife who is an LDO (licensed dispensing optician) :p
I am going to try a straight ear blade wrap around design... I want them to not slip down the nose :mad: This happened to me on my one opportunity to ride at Barber during the Ducati 2004 dealer meeting... 97 degrees and 92 % humidity :scared10: I kept trying to tip my head back and kept hitting the hump on my leathers.... didn't work very well.. First time at this track, new 05 Ducati 999R under me I didn't take my hands off the bars more often than absolutely necessary !
I do notice than many of the current SBK and Moto GP racers tend to tip their helmet back further on their forehead than most street riders do..

Bill Anderson
07-31-2007, 10:38 PM
I have Adidas Climacool sunglasses with the prescription lens insert. Adidas calls it a "performance lens" insert if you can find it on their website, which is virtually impossible.
http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/index.asp?pitemID=160&strCountry_adidascom=com&strBrand_adidascom=performance

The sunglasses have interchangeable amber and dark lenses. They are comfortable, but there is some distortion which takes getting used to. In my case, it may be aggravated by the fact that I usually wear contacts and only wear the prescription lenses occasionally. The distortion makes the bike seem lower to the ground than it is, which can make cornering an adventure. I have no problem with the glasses staying put inside my helmet when I am riding, but I am not riding in a racing tuck.

Carr
08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I'll give a +1 to Lasik surgery. I had it done several years ago and it was one of the very best things I've ever done. This was long before I had ever learned to ride a bike and it improved my quality of life dramatically. Some of the best money ever spent.