PDA

View Full Version : Mercer Island Sighting

mikimoto
09-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Couldn't find the "Sightings" thread -

Blue Monster at the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp. You had a multi-colored helmet. BTW - very pretty color of blue.

We were at the same stop sign (Sara on her Black S4, Me on my Black Z750).

Miki

UKDuc
09-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey Miki - did you try the island? How did you like it? Easy Mercer has some dirt on the road at the moment at the top end from road work to clear the drainage - I had a slide on it yesterday (Bast@rds!!!). I am on the very south end, so if you try it on a weekend or even during the week - PM me and I may be able to join you.

Andy

Two-Push
09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Couldn't find the "Sightings" thread -

Blue Monster at the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp. You had a multi-colored helmet. BTW - very pretty color of blue.

We were at the same stop sign (Sara on her Black S4, Me on my Black Z750).

Miki

Blue? Must have been an S4R. My S4 is blue with a white stripe, but I don't recall being on Mercer Island recently. Did the rider look too big for the bike and did he ride very tentatively, like an older gentleman might?

mikimoto
09-21-2004, 05:12 PM
did he ride very tentatively, like an older gentleman might?

You mean did he ride like an old "Geezer"? No - this bike was a dark metallic blue. And I looked for the white stripe (cause you know I'm in love with the S4r) but I didn't see one on it.

Miki

mikimoto
09-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Easy Mercer has some dirt on the road at the moment at the top end from road work to clear the drainage - I had a slide on it yesterday (Bast@rds!!!).

Andy

Andy! We thought it WAS you!! We turned our bikes around, but couldn't find the Monster, and we certainly went fast enough to catch up, but the guy must of turned.

BTW - Sara and I both slid out on that patch of dirt/gravel, we both ended up in the head on lane. That was not so cool.

Miki

UKDuc
09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear you guys almost lost it too - they have been digging those gutters for a few weeks now and I think what is needed is a really good wash down to make it safe again - hope it didn't put you off. There is a patch or two of gravel around there too which you have to watch out for. I decided to hit West Mercer on my way home yesterday because of the fact the south bound lane is probably the worst on East Mercer. The road is staying damp at the moment in places too, so I've been taking it a little more careful under the trees and stuff where the sun has not managed to dry it all out yet.

Bafazane
09-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I also saw a Monster over on E Mercer Way this afternoon. It was a dark color, but we were both going too fast for me to be able to tell the color. I was all by my lonesome on my yellow 748 for it's first real workout. Man, this bike is incredible; I on the other hand have a long way to go.

Maybe we should get a little Mercer Island group together every so often?

chrispoullos
09-21-2004, 08:18 PM
that would be me on my 750 . E. Mercer was quite nice today . i love that road . didn't someone, a car, go over the side along there last week ? and speaking of that , has anyone heard of that road outside Issaquah where those kids in a Jetta ran off the road ? SE 68th or something . they call it the " rollercoaster ". i gottsta stop watching news @ 11 .

mikimoto
09-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I also saw a Monster over on E Mercer Way this afternoon. It was a dark color, but we were both going too fast for me to be able to tell the color.

Agent Cooper:

Are you sure it wasn't Sara and I? Her Monster's black.

Miki

mikimoto
09-21-2004, 08:31 PM
has anyone heard of that road outside Issaquah where those kids in a Jetta ran off the road ? SE 68th or something . they call it the " rollercoaster ".

I read that story in the newspaper, but I can't remember what road they were on.

Miki

TDAdams
09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
East Mercer is great for sure but do keep it cool folks ... I have lived on M.I. for 10 years, just off of E. Mercer Way in fact, and I can tell you the coppers over here generally do not have a lot to do. They hide in peculiar places and they will pull you over for most anything. Driving on the turtles or the fog line is probably enough. If you buzz the wrong mini-van, count on being reported and perhaps having to evade a roadblock. God help us when they get their helicopter. Beyond that, the cyclists, joggers, walkers (with and with out dogs) are almost alway present to some degree. The SUVs and gardening/delivery/construction trucks are endless and cannot be counted to stay on the right side of the road. The lanes diving off of East, West, and North Mercer Way are basically a tangled mess, never successfully mapped to my knowledge. So drivers are constantly puttering around looking for a road they'll never find, paying scant attention to anything but a wholly inaccurate print out from Mapquest while balancing a too-hot latte. Trust me on this. And definitely don't choose to ride when school buses are in service. Lots of kids over here -- one of them is mine -- and the bus routes seriously mess with traffic. Besides, there was a dramatic, high profile kidnapping (ended well thankfully) over here last spring and I know the cops still do saturation patrols in morning and afternoon hours. Bummed out yet? :happy57: Nahh...enjoy the road just ride well within yourself and stay alert. E. Mercer is an awesome but risky place to push the pace.

chrispoullos
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
i'll second that . i got a ticket a few years ago on E . Mercer . very clever those cops . plus , in addition to all the hazards you just mentioned , you just don't feel too welcome there , kinda like in the wild west when a stranger walks into town . it's a good one way road , on your way to somewhere else .

Bafazane
09-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Agent Cooper:

Are you sure it wasn't Sara and I? Her Monster's black.

Miki

I did see only one Monster and no I didn't block your bike out because it's a Kawi; so I guess it was probably Mr. Chris. It's too bad it wasn't you, you could have shown me if all the positive reviews I've read on the Z750 were spot on.

Ditto what most have said about cops and other hazards on EMW. Today I saw three patrol cars in about 20 minutes (and one Seattle police motorcycle?!). I purposely avoided school time because of the school buses and also the heightened awareness the police have in regard to persons with intentions such as mine.

UKDuc
09-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Wow - I never see any cops except those that are moving in the other direction - must be the time I travel. 3 cops in one day, including a motorcycle cops is insane - maybe they are monitoring this board :eek:

I always take it easy on East Mercer - you can't really go mad around there because there are just too many tight corners, and that is the beauty of it.

It is flooded with cyclists, dog walkers, general walkers, etc etc - this is true, and I once saw a big rig going around East Mercer that took up the whole road (both sides) on every corner - would not have liked to have been on my bike when he was coming the other way :scared10: I have seen big rigs try to turn around too, having seen too late how tight it gets up there - didn't do a very good job. He tried reversing out......

Cars also regularly turn in accross blind corners - I see that on one spot all the time. Basically you need your head screwed on tight and your eyes open. I am usually on there when no-one else is about apart from one or two die hard joggers. If you try it just take it easy, it is fun at the posted speed limits.

mofoninja
07-29-2006, 09:53 PM
that would be me on my 750 . E. Mercer was quite nice today . i love that road . didn't someone, a car, go over the side along there last week ? and speaking of that , has anyone heard of that road outside Issaquah where those kids in a Jetta ran off the road ? SE 68th or something . they call it the " rollercoaster ". i gottsta stop watching news @ 11 .

I wouldn't be surprised if they were referencing 212th right off of East Lake Sammamish. It's a road that climbs in elevation, has a couple of fun blind corners and a 15mph <rated :happy57: > corner right smack dab in the middle of it. It a brief little road but quite fun and uninhabited for the most part.

-mofo