PDA

View Full Version : GP Suspension/Multi 620 upgrade

robhar54
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone know if Barry is in town? I've been trying to get a hold of him for a while. I'm about to pull the trigger on a suspension upgrade, but want to talk to GP before I go ahead and buy a new rear shock. I want to get it on the bike before my next long ride September 20th.....

Has anyone had GP rebuild a Sachs rear shock? The Sachs on the 620 is adjustable only for rebound damping and pre-load. Can it be revalved? I could go with just a change to a heavier spring, and if possible revalve it, but I don't know if that will provide the plush and lush yet planted feel I'm after and used to from the Ohlins I had on my G/S and Lindemann-worked suspension on my 916. The Wilbers with hydraulic preload and ride height adjustment is $1,350 shipped express, direct from Germany.

Thoughts?

Rob

wsuduc
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Barry is tough to get ahold of, but I bet he will be worth the wait.

I believe you can change the spring and revalve it, but I don't think you will achieve your objectives.

Now, I believe you can get a properly set up Penske for about ~$900 installed from Barry. Could be wrong but I bet that is +/-$100.

Keep trying before you pull the trigger in Germany. I think you can get a better deal, through a local distributor for alot less. Plus you get the added benefit of having Barry set it up properly for you.

Davide, comments? You just went through this.

Davidé
09-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Yep I did. Compared to my Penske, Sachs = Scheiss! :) My Penske was worth every penny -- smoother ride, better handling, beautiful! Plus Barry won't charge to switch out springs if the original is not to your liking!

Plus, I suspect that this is the time of year to have suspension work done.

Good luck!

Sieg
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Does the 620 fork have comp and reb dampening? If not, they won't have much to work with.

I coulbn't find anyone interested in working on my S2R 1K's Sachs shock. I went with a Penske 8981 and I'm very satisfied.

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/photopost/data/523/1485IMGP2363-med.JPG

GP did my forks, dramatic improvement over stock, but not the dampening sophistication of the Penske shock. Emphasis on remote preload limits your choice$, WP Suspension (like KTM 950 Adv) may have a shock that would fit.

robhar54
09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Barry is tough to get ahold of, but I bet he will be worth the wait.

I believe you can change the spring and revalve it, but I don't think you will achieve your objectives.

Now, I believe you can get a properly set up Penske for about ~$900 installed from Barry. Could be wrong but I bet that is +/-$100.

Keep trying before you pull the trigger in Germany. I think you can get a better deal, through a local distributor for alot less. Plus you get the added benefit of having Barry set it up properly for you.

Thanks....that's what I wanted to know....

Yah, I don't especially want to spend an extra $300 on the Wilbers...but from what I've heard (from Davide I think in fact) the Penske pre-load is a PITA to adjust. I don't do it often, but often enough to want the hydraulic option.

Does the 620 fork have comp and reb dampening? If not, they won't have much to work with.

I'm just talking about doing the rear shock now....forks to follow in the spring probably. The 620's Marzocchi 43mm front forks are completely non-adjustable. However...Gixxer 750 internals fit. :jumping41 That'll give me preload, and both compression and rebound damping adjustment for about $900. (Versus $2500 for the Ohlins forks....)

Sieg
09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Check these:
http://www.wpsuspension.com/products/rearshocks.php

FWIW - The getting the right spring rates in the forks made the right much more enjoyable, they now ride high enough in the stroke to utilize the low speed valving thus eliminating spiking typical encountered in street riding.

AM-A-Duc
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks....that's what I wanted to know....

Yah, I don't especially want to spend an extra $300 on the Wilbers...but from what I've heard (from Davide I think in fact) the Penske pre-load is a PITA to adjust. I don't do it often, but often enough to want the hydraulic option.

I'm just talking about doing the rear shock now....forks to follow in the spring probably. The 620's Marzocchi 43mm front forks are completely non-adjustable. However...Gixxer 750 internals fit. :jumping41 That'll give me preload, and both compression and rebound damping adjustment for about $900. (Versus $2500 for the Ohlins forks....)
the penske's are not a PITA to adj. however why are you doing it so often. it should be done to set sag. that is it. it is not something you adj on a whim or because you are going to the track. if it is then it is wrong to begin with. Of course I have no idea what I am talking about. Barry will do you right but if you get too impatient and cant wait ....call Max at Traxxion

Sieg
09-05-2007, 08:52 PM
tit is not something you adj on a whimMultistrada = multigear/multirider.

The pin system Penske uses is more positive than the typical colar/spanner system. Depends on access though. Once you establish typical loaded weights, you can just dial in X number or turns on the colar.

AM-A-Duc
09-06-2007, 04:57 AM
I wonder if when you adj. the spring pretension do you also adj the valving accordingly? if not, does that not make it kinda of mushe ? just askin here cause I cant carry anything on my bike cept me.

robhar54
09-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Check these:
http://www.wpsuspension.com/products/rearshocks.php

FWIW - The getting the right spring rates in the forks made the right much more enjoyable, they now ride high enough in the stroke to utilize the low speed valving thus eliminating spiking typical encountered in street riding.

Sieg, do you know where can you get WP shocks in the States? They don't list a distributor here. I'd be very interested.

I'm thinking about the HyperPro rising rate springs for the front shock...if I don't do the full-on internals replacement.

"Internals" for me, by the way, means everything but the fork tubes: valves, springs, rods, etc plus the top caps with the adjusters. As I understand it, you basically unscrew the caps, remove the whole ding-dang assembly, and replace it with the Gixxer bits.

the penske's are not a PITA to adj. however why are you doing it so often. it should be done to set sag. that is it. it is not something you adj on a whim or because you are going to the track. if it is then it is wrong to begin with. Of course I have no idea what I am talking about. Barry will do you right but if you get too impatient and cant wait ....call Max at Traxxion

What I've heard is that the preload is hard to adjust on the Penske. I've never looked at it myself, so don't really know what I'm talking about.

Preload gets adjusted whenever weight changes, like say going away for the weekend with full panniers, or riding with a pillion. Not an issue of course if you never do those things, which is why the hydraulic preload is more often found on sport-tourers like the Multi or ST-series, and is less useful on Superbikes or Monsters.

Rob

Davidé
09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
What I've heard is that the preload is hard to adjust on the Penske. I've never looked at it myself, so don't really know what I'm talking about.Never had trouble with my Penske, so you didn't hear it from me! Then again, my Penske was on a Monster so, it not being a "multi" bike," I didn't have the need to go back and forth with preload. Best of luck!

robhar54
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Never had trouble with my Penske, so you didn't hear it from me! Then again, my Penske was on a Monster so, it not being a "multi" bike," I didn't have the need to go back and forth with preload. Best of luck!

Ah--figured out it was someone on multistrada.net, who said if they had it to do again they'd get an Ohlins or Wilburs instead of the Penske.

Rob

AM-A-Duc
09-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Sieg

What I've heard is that the preload is hard to adjust on the Penske.

There not, and I do know I have one on one of my bikes. They are more difficult than the remote hydraulic adj.

Sieg
09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Sieg, do you know where can you get WP shocks in the States? They don't list a distributor here. I'd be very interested.

I'm thinking about the HyperPro rising rate springs for the front shock...if I don't do the full-on internals replacement.

"Internals" for me, by the way, means everything but the fork tubes: valves, springs, rods, etc plus the top caps with the adjusters. As I understand it, you basically unscrew the caps, remove the whole ding-dang assembly, and replace it with the Gixxer bits.
RobRegretefully no US based distribution. I have an email into an AMA racing source that may shed some light on accessing WP components. You might look into an Aussie WP source.

I'd go with GP's advice on tuning your forks, of all the tuners I corresponded with they were straight forward with no "miraculous super valve" marketing hype.

Sieg
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Try inquiring here:
http://www.ppsracing.com/

martys
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
have you tried Kyle Racing? they did full upgrades for me and it turned out great. www.kyleusa.com (http://www.kyleusa.com) if you call them you'll talk to Dan Kyle directly and turn around is very fast.

robhar54
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Try inquiring here:
http://www.ppsracing.com/

Ah, the legendary Stig. Good idea.

Rob

Habanero
09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
For as much as you are going to spend on the new shock and eventual Ohlins front end upgrade, you could probably buy a used 1000s and break even on cost after you sell the 620...

You can ride mine anytime you want to see if that would work for you.

I know you would not mind the extra ponies.

AM-A-Duc
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
For as much as you are going to spend on the new shock and eventual Ohlins front end upgrade, you could probably buy a used 1000s and break even on cost after you sell the 620...

dood you are getting as bad as me with the logic :happy57:
make it stop :p

robhar54
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM

Well...it'll be $1,300 for a Wilbers (or Ohlins) rear shock, plus ~$900 for the Gixxer fork internal upgrade--both set up exactly for me. Plus the $550 DP front brake upgrade... So another $2,800 over the next year...and I'm done. Really. Seriously! Done! (Yah, kinda nuts, on a bike that sold for $7,000... Not counting the other upgrades I've already done. I would've done those mods with any 1000S I bought too though.)

Let's say I could sell the 620 for $5,500, after I took off the bits I'd transfer to a 1000S. You think I could get a perfect '05 or '06 1000S DS (like Mark's say) for $8,500? I doubt it.... If I could...hmmm...I'd think about it.

But I REALLY like the 620 motor for around town and in the twisties, and it's acceptable if not thrilling on the highway. The 620 is definitely more nimble, and perfectly balanced at low speeds. I also like the lower insurance rates, better gas mileage, and easier-pull wet slipper clutch, and less expensive supermoto-sized tires. I like 30 fewer pounds moving the bike around the garage. And most of all, once I get the suspension sorted, I will like embarassing a few riders on bigger displacement bikes on tight roads...! :evilgrin3

I suspect that in the end I'd be into a 1000S for half again as much as the 620...which will go a long way toward the Husky TE-610 I'm lusting after....

Rob

Habanero
09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I do think you could find an s for $8,500 relatively soon, probably an '05. I've seen some pretty amazing prices on Multistrada.net. Not a slam dunk, but a bike at that price will come along, especially in winter.

I won't try to talk you out of loving the 620....cause it probably is great for around town...I don't do much town riding, at least not on the Duc. The KTM 640 is a blast to ride around town. You need to take that thing for a ride sometime.

Mitch
09-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I'd second going for the bigger bike before you drop all that dough in, but what do I know ... Have you ridden the 1000 before?

After hanging out with Bong, Kevlar and Jody too much, I've learned that power corrupts on motorcycles too. :whistling: