PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Seattle Parking

lll0228
06-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Where do you park when you go Downtown in Seattle? Recently they have apparently been needing more money and has been ticketing bikes that are parked or sharing spaces... By the way, apparently you are not supposed to even park more than one bike in one metered parking space...I saw a metermaid the other day on Virginia and...5th (?) parked in front of five/six bikes in a space that's PAID FOR and ticketing every single one of them. Yuck!

Anyway, where do you park?!

darkduc
06-05-2004, 08:24 PM
I can't believe that!

If the spot is paid for, what's it matter if 6 bikes are parked there or ONE car?

I used to park under the passenger ferry catwalk/bridge where Ti Cycles used to be until they recently posted a NO PARKING sign there. So, I tried parking down the block a bit, still under the catwalk where the sidewalk is double wide. Last year this was fine, no issues. This year I got 2 warnings before I decided to not push my luck. Now I park in my office building. The manager finally got wise and lowered it's motorcycle rate to a reasonable amount. I pay $40 a month to park in the garage and with a new 749, that gives me a lot of piece of mind..

Hey, is the owner of the yellow 748 that parked next to me last week on the list? Nice bike man!

charon
06-05-2004, 10:11 PM
If the spot is paid for, what's it matter if 6 bikes are parked there or ONE car?

It matters a lot to the man. 6 bikes in one spot is 5 units of lost meter income and a chance to make $$$ by ticketing the bikes.

Anyway, where do you park?!

I'm lucky enough to get secured parking in a garage downtown so that's just where I park. Building management is nice enough to give free parking to motorcycles of people who work in the building.

Torben
06-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Both points well taken. On one hand yes a spot is equal to one vehicle. On the other hand, in the spirit of parking space conservation (i.e. not enough parking spots available) it seems to make sense to allow bikes to share spots and allow those full size cages to park where they can. I at times get frustrated when I drive my cage to see a single bike taking up a spot. It's a toss up really. Maybe we should start a petition :p

DRS
06-07-2004, 08:47 AM
yeah like people would'nt freak out if 15-20 bikes were lined up in individual parking spots taking up a couple blocks of downtown on a saturday afternoon, people would be road raging driving around looking for parking.... what a sham.

Torben
06-07-2004, 10:23 AM
no doubt! We should do that one saturday down in Belltown or some real busy area and see what happens. :p

Holeshot
06-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm liking that idea! Let's pick a nice high-traffic spot/area right in front of a cafe so we can make sure some rager does not start kicking bikes over. Totally legal yet might make a point. I'm thinking the public market would a good place to do this...

Then again.. it would not exactly promote love and affection for us bikers... :cool:

darkduc
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
We should do it! Can you imagine?! 15-20 ducs lined up in Belltown on 1st or Pikes Place market? That'd be cool, even if it wasn't to make a point. :D

I ride to work so I can do it ANY TIME you all can make it.

It'd be like one of those 'flash mobs'.

Torben
06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
I think for none other than the spectacle that would be awesome :D

lll0228
06-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I think a big group petition would work better, to be honest. If other groups will join together to petition the Mayor big time I am sure something would be done.

Torben
06-07-2004, 02:16 PM
The pessimist in me thinks not.
But that's just me

Holeshot
06-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Maybe July 19th might be a good day to do this... :)

darkduc
06-07-2004, 04:30 PM
... To Belltown. hee hee!

Torben
06-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Why July 19th?

quasi_d
06-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Parking downtown in the garages beneath Pacific Place used to be free if one parked in the open spots next to the garage elevators (or it was for the last three years or so) but they suddenly changed that policy earlier this year. Ah well.

lll0228
06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Parking downtown in the garages beneath Pacific Place used to be free if one parked in the open spots next to the garage elevators (or it was for the last three years or so) but they suddenly changed that policy earlier this year. Ah well.
I saw that Pacific Place has lengthened the gate so bikes can't sneak through any more. It's stupid.

Torben
06-07-2004, 08:06 PM
And bikes should be able to sneak through why?

lll0228
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
And bikes should be able to sneak through why?
It was intentionally made because they had a free bike parking area. They changed their policy apparently.

Holeshot
06-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Why July 19th?

Hm, I don't know.. isn't there some sort of BBQ on that day somewhere near 19th? ;)

Dyno day/BBQ at DucSea if I recall correctly... not that I am.. :)

Torben
06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
I don't know, is there?
I don't remember - brain not functioning

mike
06-08-2004, 11:38 AM
I saw that Pacific Place has lengthened the gate so bikes can't sneak through any more. It's stupid.

I was there about 2 weeks ago and I still snuck past the gate. I was told a few years ago that cycle parking is free and I'm going to continue assuming that to be the case while I can squirm in there and continue parking by the elevators.

I've seen signs up by the west entrance/exit, where there is official cycle parking, indicating something about paying to park in that space. But there is no signage down by the elevators, which is where I was originally instructed to park (for free).

If they start charging, then I'd be happy to tell them, in writing, that I'll be taking my (movie watching) business elsewhere.