PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use??

Highsider
10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Just wondering what motor oil you guys use?? I try to buy the Agip 20-50 if I can.
Anybody know a dealer in the area by chance?

d.

Sieg
10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Just wondering what motor oil you guys use?? I try to buy the Agip 20-50 if I can.
Anybody know a dealer in the area by chance?

d.
Nooooooooooooooo:scared10: not another oil thread

You should use a full synthetic at the manufacturers recommended viscosity. Synthetic printed on the bottle doesn't necessarily mean you're getting fully synthetic, in many cases you're buying a blend.

I believe Ducati Seattle use Bardahl full synthetic. I use Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 in my DS1000 motor, it's rated API SG, SH/CF JASO MA. Castrol, Repsol, Motorex, Motul, Golden Spectro all have fully synthetics and blends, read the label carefully, price is another indicator, Mobil 1 MX4T is in the $10 qt. range.

Here's the mother of all oil threads:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=38314.0
Only 649 posts and 39389 views, started Jan. 6, 2006.

It's actually a very good read, I learned a lot about lubrication in general thanks to Georgecls, a lube engineer contributing on the topic.

rpmjunkie
10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I struggled with finding oil and started an oil thread about two months ago and then began a wild goose chase to find the Mobil 1. I don't know where you are located, but in the Mill Creek area the Shucks on 132nd just east of the Lowes had some. This store was my 6th stop I believe in the hunt for oil.

Edit:I see you are in SW Washington...hope this info helps someone else though.

Cirella
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I personally run bardahl full synthetic race oil and always have on all my bikes... It's expensive, but I think my baby is worth it :cool2:

Flyboy
10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I`ve been using WalMart or Havoline bulk oil for years.....never any issues! Any API rated SJ, SH, SG or SL oil is just fine!

Lotus54
10-15-2007, 07:09 AM
George has been posting on Multistrada.net for a long time- always has very good information from 'inside' the industry.
I use the fancy Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil, which I'm sure is overkill for how I ride the bike. But I have a lot of money tied up in it, so why go cheap on something that is so important.

I understand any time now Amzoil will have out their Ducati specific oil filter that is head and shoulders above anything else out there (according to George's testing). That could certainly make a difference, especially with our engines that share oil with the transmission.
I also use Neodym magnets on the oil filter to help capture the small particles the filter doesn't get. I haven't cut one open to see what it grabs, but I've talked to others that have and saw significant particles.

I use Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel in the Lotus (it used to be called something else, but they changed the label).

Some of the so called full synthetics are not really, because of US law.

Mark

Sieg
10-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I use the fancy Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil, which I'm sure is overkill for how I ride the bike.
Mark

for how I ride the bike............. :lmao:

George's before and after oil analysis sold me on the neodym magnets.

Are you refering to the same US laws that also mandate DOT half-helmets :cool2:

Highsider
10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Bought some oil from Gear Italia the other day. 4L for 59$ full synthetic.
Pretty good deal and fast on shipping.
http://gearitalia.com/showcategory.asp?c=13&s=44

d.

SURVEYOR
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
REDLINE 10-40
FULL Synthetic made from ester stock.

martino
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Mobil 1 Extended Perf Full Syntec 15W-50 and original Duc filters

momo
10-26-2007, 08:30 AM