PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Design Absorbs Shock in a New Way

Il Marzocco
10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Interesting article about new helmet technology. I wonder what Arai thinks of this?

"the greatest advance in helmet design in at least 30 years.

Helmet Design Absorbs Shock in a New Way
NYT 10/27/07
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/sports/football/27helmets.html?em&ex=1193630400&en=e66b46ebd31fc3cd&ei=5087%0A

St. Mats
10-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the link, that was very interesting. I wonder how well that will pan out for motors ports. $350 for a helmet sounds pretty good too.

Jeremy
10-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Pretty cool idea, but it's meant for football helmets not moto helmets. The key designation being football helmets are designed to absorb many many impacts, while moto helmets are designed to absorb one.

The article mantions that the air-filled pads act in a siilar fashion to crumple zones in cars...a change from current football helmet padding. However, moto helmet foam is already designed to act in this fashion...hence the requirement to replace a moto helmet following a crash.

Cool technology for football helmets though.

Il Marzocco
10-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Pretty cool idea, but it's meant for football helmets not moto helmets. The key designation being football helmets are designed to absorb many many impacts, while moto helmets are designed to absorb one.

Good point. I liked the multimedia demo in the sidebar of the article. Motorcycle helments use fairly soft padding with a hard foam. I wonder if this technology will work better because it creates a progressive damping effect more like a shock absorber. I would think motorcycle helments would still be a one-crash item because of the damage to the shell.