PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Storage Questions

John - Wenatchee
11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I am getting ready to put my bike away for the winter and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. Here is what I think I know.

Change Oil
Battery tender
Wash and Wax
Sta-Bil

Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks
John

Sieg
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
What is the storage environment?

Bong
11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
If your going to store for long periods, I would try to put the bike on stands so the tires don't get a flat spot on them. If not abe to, at least park on carpet so the tires aren't touching concrete.

Otherwise if the weather allows ride it once or twice a month and don't bother with winterizing her. :)

John - Wenatchee
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
It is going to be in a cold garage. It seemed like we had snow for a couple of months last year. Just trying to be prepared.

rb_duc
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
As Bong suggested put both wheels up (off the ground) and complete the maintenance you suggested. Don't forget the chain...
If the bike is in a cold garage use a cover - BUT don't use a cloth or fabric that draws moisture. Get a synthetic cover to keep the dust/grime off.

Cheers, Robert

CINDESMO
11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Full tank of gas.

martys
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Is a battery tender enough or should you actually pull or disconnect the battery?

I've also heard/seen talk of covering exhaust pipes and air intakes with plastic grocery bags and blue taping them sealed to keep mice and small critters from nesting.

Davidé
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Full tank of gas.You are making me miss home in the cold and old Northeast. :rolleyes: Make sure the gas is regular and not super (super will break down over the winter). Also, if you don't have stands, I recommend rolling your bike onto plywood, which will create a barrier between your tires and the concrete floor and prevent moisture rot in the rubber. From experience, I wouldn't worry too much about a flat spot on your tires -- never happened to me and in Maine we have to keep our bikes "in mothballs" for up to 6 months some winters. :scared10: The trick is rolling your bike forward/back a few inches every month or so -- worked for me.

As far as a battery tender -- pull the battery and keep it plugged in inside your house or someplace warm and dry.

rb_duc
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Is a battery tender enough or should you actually pull or disconnect the battery?

I've also heard/seen talk of covering exhaust pipes and air intakes with plastic grocery bags and blue taping them sealed to keep mice and small critters from nesting.

It's enough to have the battery tender attached. Unless the garage is subject to temperatures sub 0F for weeks/months. If it's that cold then you should take it inside.

Cheers, Robert

WildRunner1916
11-09-2007, 03:09 PM

this is important unless you want to shoot a family of nice out the pipe when you start her up in the spring. I saw this happen to my dad's 851... the mice hit the wall pretty hard:eek: :peepwall:

rb_duc
11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
this is important unless you want to shoot a family of nice out the pipe when you start her up in the spring. I saw this happen to my dad's 851... the mice hit the wall pretty hard:eek: :peepwall:

Now that's a picture I have never seen! If you do close your exhaust make sure it's not damp when you do. If you let the engine run and then put the plug in the back you should be ok (same as with dirt bikes).

martys
11-09-2007, 07:17 PM
OMG! :lmao: :foflmao:

Sieg
11-09-2007, 08:18 PM
I little spritzing with WD-40 on the engine cases wouldn't hurt.

rb_duc
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I little spritzing with WD-40 on the engine cases wouldn't hurt.

Carefull with the WD-40. Depending on where you spray it on (by accident or intentional) it can leave some nasty stains. This is due to the additional solvents in it (mostly radicals that like to chew on plastics etc).

Cheers, Robert

wsuduc
11-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I have hear yes/no the fuel stab and yes/no on the full tank of gas.

So which one is best or recommended. I just drained all the water out today and got some antifreeze in there so I don't crack anything during the winter.

Don't forget to do that if your bike is in the cold garage and use water wetter for track days.

CINDESMO
11-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Here is a nice, simple article courtesy of one of my favorite websites:

http://superbikeplanet.com/winterize.htm