PDA

View Full Version : ST4s Upgrade Suggestions?

fosterjct
10-06-2004, 06:53 PM
My 2003 ST4s is still at Motocorsa for repairs because a car backed into it and will be there for sometime so I'm thinking that now's the time to come up with my wish list of upgrades! I've already purchased the Corbin Close Canyon seat (with removable back rest for my wife of course) and the large Ducati windscreen.

Now I'd like hear suggestions from anyone that has done other modifications and upgrades such as exhaust/muffler systems, gearing, clutch upgrades, etc.

Thanks in advance! :happy44:

wwahl
10-06-2004, 10:56 PM
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/
Join this group. They will be most helpful with your request.
Ciao!
Bill

Bill Anderson
10-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Take Wild Willie's advice and join the Yahoo ST owners group. The ST4s has all the power I need and I am not into loud bikes,, so my upgrades run along the lines of comfort and touring practicalities. My upgrades are as follows:
Ducati Designs headlight (necessary for 03 and older models if you ride at night), heated grips, Heli bars (came with the bike), European headlight switch, rear trunk, heavy rear spring and readjusted collar on the rear suspension (a must if you weigh over 200 lb, have them set front and rear sag while you sit on the bike). The OEM sprocket is 3 tooth, I will go with a 40 tooth when it is time to change. Many I know (including Willie) have a 42 tooth rear sprocket. I wouldn't bother with a clutch upgrade until you really need it.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

Bill Anderson
10-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Re-reading your post: if you ride 2 up with your wife, definitely get the heavy rear spring installed and the preload adjustment collar reset while your bike is in the shop.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

fosterjct
10-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll check into the Yahoo ST2 Owners Group today.

Bill I agree with your comments about comfort. I forgot to mention in my first post that I have a set of Cycle Cat adjustable bar risers that help with the T portion of my ST. The greatest thing about the ST4s is that you really can have your cake and eat it too!

Jim is Cool
10-07-2004, 08:09 AM
03 ST4s. Me 225 lbs, use the bike to commute, track days and touring.

Mods:
Heavier front springs (Rear is ok)
EBC HH pads
Ducati Performance comfort seat
43T rear sprocket
Open airbox
removed center stand
Raised rear ride hieght
lowered front 5mm
Diablo Corsa's....I'm really impressed with them.

wwahl
10-07-2004, 05:22 PM
I guess to get specific about my older model bike this is what I have modified on it:

ST-4s Modifications to my 2002 ST-4s

Heli-bars
DP taller windshield
Dzus fittings
Phenolic knob mirror kit
Scottoiler
Jastek wiring kit (including starter cables and dual outlets)
Cigar lighter
40 tooth rear sprocket
Radar detector
Radar Screamer
Louder horn
Slip-ons
Heated grips (Kimpex)
Throttle rocker
Tank bag
Top trunk (two; one small, one large)
Pannier liners
Motobag storage (two)
Airhawk saddle cushions
Neutral bypass switch
Lighting improvements (DD headlight kit)
Additional tools
European light switch
Dash panel attachment change to thumb screws

I assume there have been items missed, but most of the stuff is here. All the modifications add up to a better bike.

Ciao!
Bill

fosterjct
10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
About all I can say at this point is "Holy Cow"! It appears that my only limitation to upgrades is my wallet.

So I'm making my list and items 1 and 2 are headlights and exhaust. I've checked into the DD system. Looks great but expensive but I may just have to bite the bullet. Has anyone done anything else that helped prevent flying off curves at night besides slowing down to a crawl?

The second item is exhaust. I'm not big on loud but the carbon cans look good and the weight reduction would be nice. Anyone with first hand experience?
Likes? Dislikes?

wwahl
10-08-2004, 03:03 PM
http://www.saltlakemotorsports.com/
If you go here and search around a little bit you will come up with their special lighting mounts which go between the mirror stalks and the upper fairing. You may mount a cheaper lighting upgrade this way. The DD headlights are THE way to go, however.
Ciao!
Bill