PDA

View Full Version : We don't need no stinkin' dual sports

Tom
11-25-2007, 07:37 PM
So Mark,(Lotus54), led a group of us on a very adventurous ride today over on the peninsula. We cruised through Seabeck and then headed up into the hills for some unexpected dirt tracking. We came to a point where the paved road ended and it turned into hard packed . We decided to keep going because the map showed that it would eventually return to pavement. The hard pack soon gave way to dual track gravel that got narrower as we went. I don't think anyone got out of 2nd gear and we were just trying to avoid large rocks and potholes. You should have seen Larry cruising along on his K1200 LT, pretty amazing. Eventually we found pavement again and looked back to see a sign that said caution, primitive road ahead. Motoring along again, we crested a hill only to see 100 feet of road at the bottom of the hill covered in thick frost. We made it down without any mishaps and Bong even rode back up. Dean and I cut out at that point to head back to Edmonds and the rest of the group headed down to Centralia for lunch. A great day for riding and working on controlling the bike in challenging situations. Hopefully Bong will post some of the pics he took.

Tom

Lotus54
11-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Sorry about that gravel Tom- I didn't know, really!:angel:

I got going a pretty good clip along that rough section, way faster than I probably should have. Thats always been my problem on the dirt, I keep tending to go faster. At least the Multi is easy to stand on the pegs and move around to keep the bike going one direction.

Wish you could have kept going!

I'm definitely going to hit a bunch of those roads when it is dry.

mark

saravoogt
11-25-2007, 08:18 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that the reason Bong rode back up was to offer me a ride.

Having just had gone dirt-tracking with Aunt Fannie, the Sport 1000, (my first off-road experience of any kind, and incidentally Mark, what the hell...;) ) I just couldn't imagine taking her skiing, too. Not on the same day. Not that I had a good alternative in mind. All that was in my head was something about waiting for the spring thaw, and I wonder if this is how it all went down with the Donner party-- out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to eat but the trip leader if it all went totally to pieces.

I was in over my head, of course, but I had a great time. Thanks to all, and especially to Mark (our fearless leader). And to Bong for giving me a lift. And Ed, for riding down that frosty patch twice, once with my bike and once on his.

--sara

Bill Anderson
11-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Looking at Bong's photos and reading your comments, I am surprised Mark let you sit between him and the door during lunch.

Lotus54
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Looking at Bong's photos and reading your comments, I am surprised Mark let you sit between him and the door during lunch.

I think they just didn't want to follow me out of the restaurant.:rolleyes:

Mark

saravoogt
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Bill! Lovely to meet you in person, finally!

Mark knows that I am totally harmless. And that I could never catch up to him on any surface, ever.

-s