PDA

View Full Version : What should be the next bike?

UKDuc
10-18-2004, 04:34 PM
I obviously have too much time on my hands, but anyway, I like to think about what my next bike could be. I know there are others who have had their Monster or other bike for a year or two and think about a Superbike, but what would be best in terms of maintenance, reasonable power and joy of ownership for a rider wanting to move up to a superbike?

I LOVE the 916/996/998 look but the 749 and 999 are growing on me by the day. What did other people do when they moved up or what would you consider buying if you did?

If only I spent this much time thinking about my work..... :rolleyes:

Bong
10-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I guess a lot depends on what you want your next bike to do for you. Will it be an addition or replacement. Do you want more street or track use, how much money do you want sitting in your garage, do you want double the maintenance costs. There was an article in MCN a few months back that spoke of Multiple Bike Syndrome - well written and informative, I can copy if you want. The Monster is a great all around bike, I have had both 2V and 4V ducs and the 4v bikes only really come into play at above speed limit territory. The new 999 sure is looking good though if you want to make change for track use, it now has 140hp!

Two-Push
10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
I think Bong hit it on the head. You need to decide how you want to use the bike. If you're going to stay with Ducati - and it has got to be tough not to - then your choices are somewhat limited. In my opinion, the Monster is the best all-around combination, but then I've not spent a lot of time on the Multistrada nor the ST series. I could probably see myself on an ST and I like they way they ride, but I'm neither a long-distance rider nor a track user. Any change I would make from my S4 would most likely be toward a cruiser style of bike and I don't think that's the sort of advice you're looking for.

Above all, never be seen riding a bike you can actually afford.

DJS
10-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Get a superbike. They are the best.

UKDuc
10-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, if I were to upgrade, and I am not saying I am, but feel like one day I should try a superbike, I would probably ride it almost every day (like I ride my Monster). And it would also be my only bike because I cannot afford a stable of them, but forward me that article if you have it Bong, I'll take a look. It is interesting what you say about perfomance of the 4 valve bikes. I get annoyed that accellerating past cages on short freeway entrance ramps has me on the rev limiter in 1st too quick - heard first gear was a lot longer on the superbikes. My fault for changing the sprockets too though.

I love the Monster, but an effective fairing would be nice sometimes, and I love the look of the superbikes. I may just be dreaming, but I can't be a one man motorcycle rider all my life - even if I do decide to be a Monster man forever, surely I must play the field!!!

DJS
10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Before I got a new car I rode my superbikes all over the place (R6/748S). My best friend rides his almost every day (GSXR750) to and from work to the gym and out and about. At the height of my riding I was logging about 11k miles a year and he was doing just of 12k miles. Now that the new 999/749 are much more comfy it is much more doable. Slap on some Heli bars and make it even more comfy.

DJS
10-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey UK check this out:

748S (http://seattle.craigslist.org/mcy/46020341.html)

LittleMeanWolf
10-18-2004, 09:33 PM
!!! I've been looking at those.

*Sounds* like a good deal... if you like yellow.

- Little Mean Wolf

UKDuc
10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Holy shite that is cheap - how can that be??? It even has termis on it!!!

Just out of interest DJS, what car got you off the bike and back on four wheels more regularly?

I love the shape of the last generation of superbikes but I really would like a dark colour - I'd probably have to paint one. I have been fantasizing about a 749 or 999 dark, but maybe 140hp would get me in trouble that my present skills couldn't get me out of ;)

Cromo900
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey UKDuc,
We're in similar situations, only I've already sold my Monster. :( But, I was able to test ride a 748. :D The suspension and power was 100% different than my Monster. Bumps were not nearly as harsh and the power came on and off really smooth. Unfortunately, my hands were all tingling and numb after a <5 minute test ride. I wish the bike was more comfortable, because I loved the way it rode, and you know you can't go wrong with the looks of the older superbikes. That's my two cents.

As for the link to the $4800 748S below; I'm pretty skeptical. But, if the seller is reading this and it's not a scam... I have $4800 cash - PM me. For that price I'll deal with numb hands.

Good luck finding something that you'll like more than the Monster.

UKDuc
10-18-2004, 10:23 PM
How long did you have the Monster Chromo? I reckon that I should hang out at the dealer and do some test rides myself, or get a hobby that stops me thinking about this sort of stuff all the time :happy57:

Wolf - you sound like you think along the same lines as me. Must be a common syndrome, which is what I thought. I wonder if the people who have moved up from their first Ducs ever look back...?

LittleMeanWolf
10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
UKDuc: It's starting to scare me how much we seem to think alike...

Now if I can just convince Torben to part with his dark 749 ... =)

- LMWolf

Cromo900
10-18-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I only had it for about 3 months. Bought it from Ducati of Seattle in April and sold it to Tim at Ducati of Seattle in July. Go ahead and call me fickle. I want a 749. Ever since sitting on the 749 Dark at the Motorcycle Expo I can't get over it. Actually, I want this bike - http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/forsale0/ducati.html Fickle.

My dilemma with the Monster is that it always made me wonder if there could be something better, maybe a different Ducati? I've sold the first one. Now I have to figure out which model is going to be the second.

Bafazane
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Hmm, Monster to SBK. I found myself in the same position as you guys are in now about a month ago. Wolf, you know what I've been riding, so guess which one I like more.
I do a good bit of riding with it, and I haven't noticed any problems other than you *must* keep it at higher rpms than the monster. Not really a problem, just an adaptation to your riding style. Also, like Chromo said earlier when he tested a 748, his hands were numb after 5 minutes. I was in the same shape when I first rode mine. But you really do get used to it. It ain't no Monster in terms of comfort, but those that really complain about it are weenies anyway! :happy57:
The price on that 748 from craigslist kinda freaks me out, but damn, if it really is nice, somebody better jump on it! Happy hunting guys!

Torben
10-19-2004, 08:06 AM
That'd make a great track bike! :evilgrin3
And no Wolf, you'd have to pry my dark out from under my dead mangled body :p

Bong
10-19-2004, 08:46 AM
There are a lot of scam artists on the net, this is the response I received after several e-mails back and forth on the 748 advertised in Craigslist:

Hello sir,
I just got married and I moved with my wife to Memphis.This will not be a problem cause I will cover all cost of shipping and you will have the chance to test the bike.We gonna have a safe deal.I send you some pics.If you ready to deal please get back to me to explain you the transaction
Thank you!

If only we could get our hands on these people :mad:

UKDuc
10-19-2004, 08:51 AM
That is a purdy 916 - I'd say if you are gonna buy a bike, buy it off someone who had a passion for it (like that owner obviously had), which is maybe why it is easier to buy a good used Ducati as long as you find the right owner. You also get a bike worth tons more than you actually pay for it (if you add up the many parts).

Torben, you do make it hard to buy a 749 dark - none will compare with your Breil in standard form, requiring arm and leg chopping for the funds to make a standard Dark as individual as yours ;) I would love a Superbike in black though - that is the colour for me!

UKDuc
10-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Bong,

I think everyone's instincts were correct on that one ;)

Scammers are scum :mad:

Curt999
10-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I wonder if the people who have moved up from their first Ducs ever look back...?

Yes...

My first Duc was an ST-2. I absolutely loved the ST but as hard as she tried, she just couldn't scatch that itch I had always had for the superbikes since their inception with the 916. A year and some change after buying the ST-2, I sold her for a 998. The first few months took some getting used to. The 998 was so edgy and eggressive at first I felt severley uncomfortable. Getting used to riding it how it needed to be took some time and a few leaps of faiths. The ST was always so planted feeling and gave some resistance when dropping into corners. The SBK felt like she wanted to just keep dropping lower and lower. It didn't take long to trust her abilities though and that's when the fun started. The ST's, Monsters, SBK's are so very different. The ST's and Monster's give you some flexability and a portion of both worlds. But the SBK is purpose specific. It's not comfortable on long rides. It does not like the heat, at least in traffic. And it certainly does not tolerate passengers very well. But man does she glow in her element. With that said, if your tough minded you can do more on a SBK than just play. I rode my 998 to Montana last summer. 100 plus degree temps and 600 mile day their and back. I was sore, my legs turned to jello, my wrists begged me to just cut them off. But I made it. I had made the same trip on my ST the year before. Their were definately times on the trip with the 998 I was thinking how nice the ST was...

Curt

Bafazane
10-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey UKDuc,
You said you liked black superbikes?http://www.ducatiseattle.com/pre_owned/bikes/09_04_04/748s_hi.jpg
It's down at Ducati Seattle and it looks really, really nice. I wish I could have two. :p

lindsay
10-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey UKDuc,
You said you liked black superbikes? It's down at Ducati Seattle and it looks really, really nice. I wish I could have two. :p

i've ridden this 748S out in the mountains last year and it IS really nice. plus it has ohlins front and rear and all-carbon bodywork. somebody needs it!

--
lindsay

UKDuc
10-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeh - saw that. For some reason it doesn't float my boat - maybe because of the non-standard fairing without the lights. It seems a bit short on details too - like the lack of stickers (although I would only want subtle details). It seems to be a track bike.

I was looking at the 749 Dark and it is disappointing that it doesn't have the same specs as the others. I'd like it if it had the same specs as the 749s, but then it is very affordable at only $11,500. I prefer that paint to the black 999. If I see a second hand 749 Dark with some mods and goodies, I think I'd go for it. Mr LePlante - sick of yours yet? :D

darkduc
10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Back away from my bike! No. You can't have her. She's mine and I'm quite satisfied. :evilgrin3

-dj
10-19-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I only had it for about 3 months. Bought it from Ducati of Seattle in April and sold it to Tim at Ducati of Seattle in July. Go ahead and call me fickle. I want a 749. Ever since sitting on the 749 Dark at the Motorcycle Expo I can't get over it. Actually, I want this bike - http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/forsale0/ducati.html Fickle.

My dilemma with the Monster is that it always made me wonder if there could be something better, maybe a different Ducati? I've sold the first one. Now I have to figure out which model is going to be the second.

jeezuz Chromo! My friggin dream bike there. Even comes with leathers in my size.. You killin me!!

CINDESMO
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Interestingly enough, you can buy that same 748s from West Virginia for only $3000! I knew Ducatis were more here but...

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/2/72249962.htm

UKDuc
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I just got my bike back after its service and she's such a beauty - purring like a kitten and so eager to please, I feel like I have been cheating on the poor thing with all this talk about Superbikes. Still, next time she is away, maybe I'll get my like over a 749 Dark (don't let her know though.....) :p

Zach
10-21-2004, 08:28 PM
UKDuc: I've had the same dilemma a few times as well. I rode my '99 900SS for a coupla years & then thought I needed something a bit larger & more comfy for the roadtrips & commuting I was doing. I test rode the ST range, wonderful bikes right outta the box, very confidence inspiring. But the full fairing & water cooling kinda put me off, just a tad though.

A year later I finally got a ride on a 996 (w/Heli bars) & was blown away at the power & aggressiveness of it. I found the seat a bit too cramped & for me the bike was too complicated with all its wonders hidden behind the full fairing. The 999 I test rode was a great evolution of the 996...very well done I thought. A practical superbike?

Then pops in the Multistrada, holy bejeezuz this is what I've been waiting for! Comfy, upright position, plenty of room for the rider & gear, outstanding handling & motor, Ducati did it proper! When I buy another Ducati I'm planning on the MS fitting the bill. The motor is basically the same 2v, air cooled lump in my SS, but obviously more powerful, more flexible, & a bit smoother. I really like the raw edge of the 900s...but the DS1000 still has enough of what I like.

Now these darn Sport Classics are going to be put in production...I'm lusting after a Sport 1000, looks like a retro version of my bike :) But, don't I want something for touring & possibly commuting again in the future? Unfortunately I'm not able to commute anymore with all the tools I have to lug around. I wonder how comfy a Sport 1000 would be for week long rides? Maybe some LSL Superbike bars could be adapted, heck there's no fairing to get in the way at least. The tank looks like a good sized tank bag would rest on it, I could see a set of soft saddle bags draped over the rear end, & my tent & sleeping bag on top :)

Anyway, my first & currently only Ducati is not & never will be up for sale. She's been the most faithful piece of mechanical equipment I've ever had the pleasure of owning. We've seen 48k nearly trouble free (3 wheel bearing failures - 1 on the road) miles together, through all kinds of weather, good & terrible. I'm hoping to flip the odometer (half way there) & then rebuild/restore it & turn it in to a weekend ride/track day toy.

Ok, I bit more long-winded than I originally intended, good luck!

Zach

UKDuc
10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
I know your pain Zach, although it is not really pain, it is the burden of choice ;)

Back from the dealer all freshly serviced, my Monster is a new machine it seems. Runs so smoothly and eagerly and starts on the first turn. So creamy smooth unlike it has ever been that I remember, and more powerful. Maybe it is because I have not been on it for 5 days, but the difference is massive it seems. I wish I could have a superbike and keep the Monster :rolleyes: