PDA

View Full Version : Tested a 749 Dark today

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Went down to Eastside Motorsports today to look at the Dark they had there, and got talking to Arthur and after hanging around for far too long, one of the salesmen heard I was interested in the 749 Dark. He took me down there, stuck in the keys and said take it out. Only 1 mile on the bike and I stuck on about 6 more. Impressions while riding it were:

1. Wow - I am riding a very sexy bike and everyone seems to be looking at me
2. If I rode this for long I think I may boil my bag (if you know what I mean!) :eek: . Apparently aftermarket exhausts get rid of that problem - supposed to be the catalysts that create all that heat...
3. It was no where near loud enough - I would need a loud exhaust.
4. It was not intimidating at all to ride. I think I may test a 999 and see how that feels. The power is smooth and not at all brutal. Didn't get near the red line though (didn't want to hurt it).

Looking forward to the next testdrive.....

Torben
10-24-2004, 08:25 AM
1) Nice isn't it?
2) You are correct, sir.
3) Definitely
4) I'd have no idea. My bag isn't large enough for that one right now

darkduc
10-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Just buy it. You know you want to. :evilgrin3

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Oh, also the mirrors were useless.....

But I still loved it :D

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Just buy it. You know you want to. :evilgrin3

I probably should, but it would be nice to find one that already had its 600 mile service, plus aftermarket pipes and all that stuff. I'll start getting insurance quotes and that kind of stuff next week in my spare time and figure out what I can afford. Not buying anything yet, but no harm in doing the research :rolleyes:

Holeshot
10-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh, also the mirrors were useless.....

But I still loved it :D

Ducati's have mirrors now? :scared10:

TDAdams
10-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I swapped out of an M900 into a 749s last spring. Dave made it easy for me. I loved that Monster but for me there's no comparison in riding experience. I would do it again in a heart beat. :happy57:

lll0228
10-24-2004, 02:08 PM
UkDuc, we are of absolutely no help here to save your hard-earned money, aren't we? :happy44:

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I swapped out of an M900 into a 749s last spring. Dave made it easy for me. I loved that Monster but for me there's no comparison in riding experience. I would do it again in a heart beat. :happy57:

So no-one thinks it is a bad idea to switch from a M900 to a 749 then?! ;)

How do the servicing costs compare to the M900, and did you do any upgrades on the 749 yet (like the pipes)?

Bong
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
So no-one thinks it is a bad idea to switch from a M900 to a 749 then?! ;)s)?

I had similar reservations when going from a 900SS to a 748, I was worried about losing low rpm pull. In the end, the sbk engines are so smooth and flexible that you won't miss the 2V. I have gone from 900SS - 748 - 996 and now the multi, the only place I miss the 748/996 engines is when I am on the track trying to keep up on the straights with the 4V bikes.

The 749 will have a more extreme riding position, but you'll get used to it. Torben let me try his 749 at PR and I couldn't believe how fast that bike is. The engine is smooth, pulls like a 916 and the brakes are just STRONG. Go for, you won't regret it. :)

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 07:36 PM
I may well be joining the ranks of SBK owners soon :evilgrin3 I think I will go with a 749 but now wonder if it should be a Dark or 's'. I love the black, but an extra 8 horses and the other subtle differences make me wonder. I just looked at the price of a replacement exhaust too and it is $1700!!! :scared10: I would NEED a loud exhaust on it but $1700 is a lot of peanuts, espacially because 749s do not come for free anyway.

When I get time this week I will talk to the bank, talk to an insurance agent and figure out what my bike is worth. What do people reckon - 2000 ie with a fresh 18,000 mile service and new Diablo back tire - excellent Diablo front tire.

That's another thing, what are the stock tires like on the 749 - grippy?

LittleMeanWolf
10-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Hell, you can donate your old Monster to me, UK. =)

Go with the s!

- Wolf, Little, Mean

darkduc
10-24-2004, 09:16 PM
The stock Pirellis on my 749D are awesome. For the difference in money, I'd take the dark over the S. You'll never miss the 8 ponies and the cost savings will let you get the Termi pipe. Also, black rocks. Just ask me. :)

UKDuc
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Hell, you can donate your old Monster to me, UK. =)

Go with the s!

- Wolf, Little, Mean

I'll donate it to you if you donate around $6000 to me - we can both write it off in our taxes :p

TDAdams
10-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Mods so far have been minor: carbon fiber heat shield, rear hugger, heel guards; Evoluzione slave cylinder; and Evo license plate tuck kit.

I'll prob do a +3 rear sprocket in the Spring. Termi pipes are very tempting but cost is a consideration for me too.

You can't go wrong either way -- Dark or S. If you like to tinker, go for the "S" and its more adjustable suspension plus a few more ponies.

Holeshot
10-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I may well be joining the ranks of SBK owners soon :evilgrin3 I think I will go with a 749 but now wonder if it should be a Dark or 's'.

My understanding is that the new 's' are quitea bit more bike. Updated suspenders and the pumped up motor. Just about on par with the standard 998's :evilgrin3

Tough decision. Personally.. I'd for the dark and safe the cash. The more I ride my 998 on the street the more I think it belongs only on the track! 749d is more than enough bike for me. Plus they really have a cool and unique look with the paint.

I just looked at the price of a replacement exhaust too and it is $1700!!! :scared10:

Well, here you are in luck! If you trying to uncork the Ducati sound there is a guy that will 'core' your stock exhaust and get that trademark Ducati sound for I'm SURE far less than the Termi or other's.

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/index2.html

REF: Speedzilla thread on exhaust mods (http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=19941)

Excellent choice in bikes. I'm thinking of putting a 749D in my garage and making the 998 track only. Thing is.. I'm also considering something even smaller...

Me thinks that maybe I've lost my self control and would only be safe on the street riding a Derbi 50... :o

CINDESMO
10-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Excellent choice in bikes. I'm thinking of putting a 749D in my garage and making the 998 track only. Thing is.. I'm also considering something even smaller...

Me thinks that maybe I've lost my self control and would only be safe on the street riding a Derbi 50... :o

Ah, but then you might go crazy and upgrade to the 18hp kit like I am! Lookout Hwy 99 cagers! :evilgrin3

wtate
10-25-2004, 09:35 AM
UK Duc - Sounds like you have caught the SBK bug! A year ago I was in the same position and bought my first 999. Although I originally missed the low end bottomless torque of the 2V 900 everything else more than made up for it. Yes, stock exhaust is quiet. Surprisingly the Termi Kit isn't as loud as I expected but I'm happy. On the infamous "ticket" ride I'm sure you could hear the difference - Kevlar's exhaust is actually a cored stock cannister and has a very nice raspy note. Regardless, after a long ride you will have well cooked rump roast.
As far as suspension is concerned you may be in luck. I'm currently salivating over Ohlins suspension. Once complete my stock suspension will be available for anyone interested.
Good luck. - Bill

UKDuc
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey Holeshot - thanks for the pipe information - sounds like sending the pipe to Strati is the better way to go. Plus I think that the 749 Dark is just so darn sexy that it has to be that over the 's' model. I doubt the extra ponies will really be necessary on my commute or even on the track if I take it there. I actually decided not to go the track bike route after talking to all you guys at the Rendez-vous. Instead I will do a Keith Code school early next year and see how that goes. Maybe I will get a track day bike but not until I have cooled my finances down a bit ;)

Wtate - I did hear Kevlar's pipes/pipe and it was raspy and loud - just what the 749 will need, although I guess the smaller displacement won't give quite the rumble of my M900, which really is a gorgeous gorgeous sound. Not sure whether I will need the suspension upgrade - I think the Dark has fully adjustable suspension and for my purposes, it will probably be enough.

I still have to sell my bike and figure out the financing and insurance, so I doubt I will be on one much before Christmas, but I'll be teasing the guys at Eastside Motorsports every time I go in - haggling weekly to see what kind of deal they will give me. Anyone know if there is a difference between the 2004 and 2005 Dark btw?

UKDuc
10-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm also changing my car - anyone wanna buy a 1996 BMW 328is - all options and 98.000 miles. Not a lot of use lately :) Price around $12,995

Holeshot
10-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Ah, but then you might go crazy and upgrade to the 18hp kit like I am! Lookout Hwy 99 cagers! :evilgrin3

Keep in mind.. I'd have to not already be crazy to go crazy....
:evilgrin3

CINDESMO
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Good Point!

UKDuc
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey Cindesmo - DucSea don't have a 749 Dark do they?

Jody
10-25-2004, 09:03 PM
I realize this is a Ducati forum, and talk of new bikes is unavoidable. But you people keep reminding me of my lovely 749S test ride during last August's DNW event at PR.

That motor... That look... And those BRAKES... Enough!

I need a cold shower.

Jody :o

Williespeed
10-26-2004, 01:05 PM
[Come on down to DucSea and try the 999.

UKDuc
10-26-2004, 01:43 PM
[Come on down to DucSea and try the 999.

Can I get it in black, and for a similar price as the 749 Dark? :rolleyes:

DucSea is my first port of call for bikes and parts - Owen sold me my M900 and I have serviced it there since I got it - but I don't think they have a 749 Dark. If they do, I would be talking numbers with them. :D

CINDESMO
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
We don't have a 749 dark at the moment. Hopefully, we will soon!

Williespeed
10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
you can get the 999 in gloss black, the standard will be here in Febuary and the S will be here next month. I do have an 05 999 standard demo, red with a biposto tail. I have a yellow 04 I think I could come close enough to make it worth while to upgrade to the litre bike. why don't you stop by and take a look. would you be trading in the 900?

UKDuc
10-26-2004, 03:51 PM
you can get the 999 in gloss black, the standard will be here in Febuary and the S will be here next month. I do have an 05 999 standard demo, red with a biposto tail. I have a yellow 04 I think I could come close enough to make it worth while to upgrade to the litre bike. why don't you stop by and take a look. would you be trading in the 900?

I'll pop in again soon when I get some time :D

sim
10-27-2004, 07:28 AM
FWIW,
I picked up a 749s last year and am happy with it. The 999 is an entirely different beast though and I wish would I would have spent the extra $ to get it. I'm really considering upgrading this winter. After riding a 999s the 749s just didn't have as much "umph" as my appetite craved.

Of course having the throttle wide open and watching Charon morph away into a tiny dot on his R1 through Nevada doesn't help things either.

charon
10-27-2004, 03:27 PM
FWIW,
I picked up a 749s last year and am happy with it. The 999 is an entirely different beast though and I wish would I would have spent the extra $ to get it. I'm really considering upgrading this winter. After riding a 999s the 749s just didn't have as much "umph" as my appetite craved.

I rode Sim's 749s back when I had my 999s and found that I agree with Sim. The 749s was a great bike and revved quicker than the 999s but didn't really have the power I was looking for.

Of course having the throttle wide open and watching Charon morph away into a tiny dot on his R1 through Nevada doesn't help things either.

:evilgrin3

The 999s had plenty of power. The R1 has obscene amounts of power that is harder to use than the 999s. Being a tiny dot in Nevada was a lot of fun. I'm actually finally getting new tires today for my R1 that I wore out in Nevada in August. New Pilot Power 190's will be on tonight.

TDAdams
10-27-2004, 10:15 PM
When you weight 145 lbs like me, the 749s makes plenty of power. :happy57:

darkduc
10-27-2004, 10:18 PM
While I don't think any experienced rider would complain about more power, I don't think I NEED anything more than I have. Course, I haven't ridden a 999 or an R1 so perhaps ignorance is bliss.

UKDuc
10-27-2004, 10:49 PM
I think that power is addictive, it is optional how much of it you use, and sometimes it is nice to have the option to have more ;) With that said, power will not generally help you get around a bend (where the fun is) and top speed doesn't mean much on public roads (especially now I have to avoid tickets!). I just want to find a package that gives ear to ear grins and keeps up with the pack without costing the earth, but something that has soul too - not an appliance, like some of the 4 cyclinder bikes seem to be. Although saying that, I figured that I could get a 600 and keep my Monster for the same price as a 749 - why do I have to make things more complex than they need to be!!!

The Mosnter is on Craigslist BTW - if anyone is interested in a fantastic bike.

Went in and talked to the dealers today - the idea of painting a used 749s came to mind to get a black bike with the better swingarm, damper and power. Will someone shoot me before I go mad! Anyway, looking at the 05 Dark when it gets in - we'll see what happens! :happy57: