PDA

View Full Version : Ducrapi

sim
11-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Funny - http://www.ducrapi.com/

sputnik
11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Bless my little immobilizer-less Monster. Simplicity is keen.

Holeshot
11-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Some people... my 2002 has not spent a single day longer than it should have in the shop for either of the two valve services (in both cases it needed no adjustments to the valves). 17k mi. and still smilin! :happy44: :happy57: :evilgrin3

UKDuc
11-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Some people... my 2002 has not spent a single day longer than it should have in the shop for either of the two valve services (in both cases it needed no adjustments to the valves). 17k mi. and still smilin! :happy44: :happy57: :evilgrin3

Italians are very jealous - they don't like to share the nest. I think it was probably pi$$ed that he would rather ride one of three other Hondas half the time - has he no feelings?! Better off without him I reckon :happy57:

CINDESMO
11-09-2004, 06:25 PM
The website was very lame! He is putting down all Ducatis but apparently he can only site one example. Yes, I know there is more than one problem Ducati bike on the planet, but I'm not persuaded by his unscientific sample.

I thought it was funny that he named Honda as a good bike since I know someone on this list who's Honda ECU died! Then he had to wait for the part to arrive. Last I heard it still had not. :(

charon
11-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Having owned both a 03 999s and a 04 R1 my take on it is that the Ducati is a great bike but runs on a much finer edge due to the complexity of the machine where it has to be close to perfect in tune in order to run well. This requires more time and paitence than a lot of people are willing to make. I had my share of problems, clutch plates burning out way too fast, running on one cylinder/stalling. Overall though, the 999s was an awesome bike and I'm happy to have had it.

The R1 on the otherhand seems quite a bit more mechanically simple and being a simpler system lends itself to less idosyncratic behavior. I can always expect my R1 to start at the first push of a button, not lug in 5 MPH traffic, never stall (excepting for user error) and just oughtright work. It doesn't have half the soul of a Duc though. The R1 is a robot, the 999 is a needy girlfriend.

lll0228
11-09-2004, 09:01 PM
It just goes to show how wonderful the dealers in our area are! No one here would treat him like that!

SeattleStallion
11-09-2004, 09:12 PM
"if you have a map strapped to your arm, you can read it in the rear view mirror."

haha

Bill Anderson
11-09-2004, 10:57 PM
People are always quick to cite Japanese or German brands as the ultimate in motorcycle reliability, but a monthly reading of Motorcycle Consumer News, especially the "Downtime" section, dispells that myth.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

Holeshot
11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
People are always quick to cite Japanese or German brands as the ultimate in motorcycle reliability, but a monthly reading of Motorcycle Consumer News, especially the "Downtime" section, dispells that myth.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

A quick read of the VFR groups (the best bike ever built if you listen to some of the zealots) bears that out as well. Honestly. I've had fewer serious problems with my Ducati than with any of my Hondas. The only other bike that has been as reliable is my Zuki DR-250 dirt bike!

Mat
11-12-2004, 07:41 AM
The R1 on the otherhand seems quite a bit more mechanically simple .

Actually, the R1 may be more mechanically robust or less highly stressed but it in NO WAY is mechanically simpler. With 16 valves, four carbs and coils, multiple cam chain tensioners and 32 valve springs (2 per), it qualifies as a real gizzmo! So, your choice for your daily ride is simple....Desmo or gizzmo.

CINDESMO
11-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Make that 20 valves! :scared10:

charon
11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
it in NO WAY is mechanically simpler.

what I was thinking about mainly was no desmo valvetrain and no CAN electronics. I'd think the Ducati electronics are getting pretty complex when they are actually sending a digital signal to the coils on the plugs. One thing of complexity the R1 has on top of the Ducati I didn't initially think of was the exup valve in the exhaust.

Mat
11-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Make that 20 valves! :scared10:
Ugh!! that was dumb....I forgot the glory of the Genisis Mill....I
was thinking UJM and got carried away.