PDA

View Full Version : How to change coolant - 749

Torben
06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm going to drain the factory coolant and add some engine ice instead. Supposed to help with the overheating issue.
How the heck does one drain the coolant? There is a cryptic note in the users manual about topping up but nothing about draining?
Any ideas within the next 30 minutes?

darkduc
06-08-2004, 05:53 PM
I, too, make it a habit of switching from glycol to distilled water + Red Line water wetter in the summer. It makes all the difference, bike runs 20 degress cooler! Just make sure you switch back to the anti-freeze / water mix before the first freeze in the fall!

http://www.clubdesmo.com/discus/messages/4/9827.html

darkduc
06-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Sorry mate, couldn't google anything on flushing the system on the 749. :confused:

Torben
06-09-2004, 09:59 AM
It's all good.
I got it figured out with the help of DJS and a digital camera :)
Now to see if the engine ice actually helps.

darkduc
06-10-2004, 11:48 PM
..and a bit of a howto too! Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Torben
06-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Loosen the widget on the thingy and stand back :D

It's easy once you know how. Remove the 5mm nut from the water pump (black nut - water pump is on the left side of the bike just behind the battery)
Make certain to take the rad cap off first or you'll be standing there all day watching it piddle out of there.
Get as much as you can out with pure gravity, then blow into the rad to push the remaining gook out.
The cooling system takes 2.3 litres of coolant. The last few mils are a pain. You need to start the bike up and get thing circulating a few times to get the full amount in there.
I'd also cover the front tire with a towel to prevent any coolant from spilling onto it and messing it up.