PDA

View Full Version : Packing Light - Packing Right Seminars

Marv
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
SoundRider's Tom Mehren is presenting a "Packing Light - Packing Right" seminar tonight (Wednesday) at the Lynnwood Cycle Barn from 6:00 - 8:00. Well worth attending for a wealth of information on how and what to pack for sport-touring.

Carr
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
If anyone manages to attend, would you be so kind as to give a bit of a recap and hit the high points for those like myself who can't make it? This kind of info would be valuable for me as Spring Ride approaches.

Tom
05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm going, so I will try to take some mental notes and do a recap.

Tom

martys
05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
I went to the one at Eastside over the winter, he usually has a handout of how to pack. Might be nice to get it in digital form and post it here.

kurtfriedrich
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
I have it, but I am not sure he'd be happy posting his stuff. If someone gets him to say "ok", I'll post it.
Kurt

martys
05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I have it, but I am not sure he'd be happy posting his stuff. If someone gets him to say "ok", I'll post it.
Kurtit's just the one page checklist, not copyrighted material from the book.

kurtfriedrich
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
well, there is no copyright statement on it, and its kind of an add for his store, so here you go:

http://dadfriedrich.googlepages.com/tripList.jpg

router.exe
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
the speaker at eastside moto, was saying that you should have a minimum of 100L of storage capacity to pack light and pack right. if you are riding 2 up then you should have an extra 50L

martys
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
but the 100L including camping gear. if your hotel camping you can get away with a lot less. especially if you share repair supplies across the group.

Tom
05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Just got back from the seminar and I see the one page checklist is already posted, so that is a start to what you want to include. Something Tom stressed was no cotton clothing, all synthetic, shorts, shirts, pants, etc.. Also investing in small stuff sacks whether they are mesh, nylon, or dry sacks to keep all your things organized. He also used compression sacks to make his sleeping bag and tent half their size. A lot of info, but a good seminar. You can always buy his book for $20 to get it all.

Tom