PDA

View Full Version : Checking VIN

yinger
12-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi all :)

I am wanting to buy a used Ducati, and I think I found one..and I got the VIN.. now i got a stupid question. Where do I go and run the VIN number to check the history of the bike. I am in Vancouver Canada, i guessed the process should be pretty much the same.

I got a weire question, if I called Ducati Canada, and provide them with the VIN, can they trace down which dealer the bike was bought from?

Torben
12-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey Yinger - what part of Van do you live in? I did my best years in North Van myself.
Anyway you can run a carfax or any other number of VIN searches and if there's a maintenance record it will magically pop up. If you need any more help feel free to email or PM me, eh? :happy44:

yinger
12-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Hi Torben,

Thanks for your prompt reply! eh!:D I just moved to White Rock not too long ago, so it's super close the the US border. So you still come up to Vancouver often?

I tried carfax, and it doesn't recognize the VIN, so I guess it hasn't had any accident that's known to them.

I also emailed Ducati North Americ, hopefully they can help me locate where the bike was purchased from, cuz i affraid that it's a stolen bike or some sort... crossing my finger.

Dave R
12-01-2004, 11:21 PM
There is nothing like carfax for bikes and there is no Ducati Canada. Ducati NA handles the bikes across the border. There is no centralized data base keeping track of maintenance records but any Ducati dealership can enter your VIN into our Ducati NA data base and look for any warranty recall notices and who the original purchaser was and when but thats about it. FInd out where the previous owner had it maintained and ask the service facility if they have records. I would be happy to check the VIN for you if you want to give us a call
206 298-9995

yinger
12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks Dave, for the offer. I'll definitely give you folks a shout or maybe John Valk a shout see if they can find out any information.

Aside from the border inspection fee and those paper work fees, if i do find a good used ducati in the state, is it worth brining it to Canada? Or is it just too much hassel...

Williespeed
12-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Yinger private message me with the VIN and I will decode it for you.