PDA

View Full Version : I need a cold weather liner. What do you recommend?

darkduc
12-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Brr, it's getting cold out there. I've been eyeballing heated liners for my leather jacket and I'm trying to decide between a Gerbing liner or the Vanson snap in liner for my Vanson jacket. Anyone have experience with either or both that would care to comment on them? :)

Right now I'm leaning towards the Vanson snap in liner as I've been told it's really warm and it's REALLY thing and light weight. Bong, I know you have the Gerbing and you seemed pretty toasty the other day when we were riding in 34 degree weather so that's definitely a testament to Gerbing stuff.

However, I really like the idea of snapping in a liner to my Vanson and not having to worry about it. No extra piece of gear to put on, no more layering, etc.

So, is the Vanson liner as warm as the apparel guy at DS says it is? (Sorry, I didn't catch your name!) I'm somewhat of a weenie when it comes to cold weather so I want something really warm. Bye the way, the Dainese goretex gloves they have on sale at DS are pretty warm but my fingers are still cold by the time I get to work. They are nice and waterproof though! Gotta like that.

If you have the Vanson liner, where'd you get it? I'm looking at a few shops but of course, I'm cheap and want the best deal to be had.

Thanks!

Bong
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
I have field tested the Gerbing electric liner in 20 degree weather (of course that didn't help my visor from freezing) and I was quite toasty. The nice thing about wearing electric liners is you don't have to layer up and be all bulky with multiple layers of clothing. A turtleneck and the liner was all I had on under the jacket vs the 5 layers I nornally bundle up with without the electric liner. The jacket liner version is also nice because it heats your arms making it easier to keep your fingers warm.

The downside is you have to hook up to your bike for power, and if the unit fails you won't have the requisite layered clothing to keep you warm. If you go Gerbing, get the thermostat so you can regulate the temp. Otherwise it will be on full blast all the time. The show next week will be a great time to try on some heated gear, and I'm sure they will have show specials to help facilitate your buying decision! And yes, I was very comfortable on our ride a few weeks ago when the temp was hovering around 34 degrees :)

Bill Anderson
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Check out the Three Seasons jacket by Autumn Riders:
http://www.autumnriders.com/
I wear mine as a liner under both my winter and ventilated summer riding jackets. The polartek liner is warm and the nylon blocks the wind. The sleeves are nylon lined to make the jacket easy to get on/off. The cuffs are velcro adjustable for tight sealing and the collar zips all way up to seal your neck from the wind. Finally, you can get your favorite DUC and "DESMO Northwest" embroidered on it.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

merv
12-02-2004, 09:46 PM
You could also get an aerostich. Go to riders www.aerostich.com and look at
Kanetsu Electric Vest and Liner.

darkduc
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Wow guys, thanks. Good stuff. Decisions, decisions.....

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.filereader?41b088b2002a407a272cd1f0 ec0706af+EN/catalogs/1306
$137 - $257

Their line of liners look really technical and well designed. I like the 100% windblock idea. Anybody have one of these liners?

http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=67
$159

The advantage Vanson's liner has is it will snap into my jacket. That's cool. Also, the DS apparel guy says his is very toasty warm.

http://www.gerbing.com/pages/clothing/jl.html
$199

I know this sucker is warm. Bong can attest to that. And, they're made here in WA.

http://www.autumnriders.com/apparel.asp
$60

They make a nice looking fleece jacket and vest but no heat. Neato 999 embroidery though. Not technical enough for me. Definitely less money.

Curt999
12-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Jeff, I have both the Aerostich electric jacket and the BMW electric vest. The Vest is great because it is very thin and fits under my fitted leather jacket. However it is only good for moderately cold days. The aerostich keeps me completely comfortable in the coldest of riding conditions however it is fleese so while the body fits nicely under a leather jacket the arms are to snug and cut off circulation. Works perfectly when worn with a cordura jacket. You definately want something with heated sleeves if you plan to ride in under 40 degree conditions...

I hesitated going to heated clothing for many years. Everyone kept telling me I didn't know what I was missing. They were right. Changes the whole riding experience. Comfortable=relaxed and when your relaxed you ride safer.

Curt

Wow guys, thanks. Good stuff. Decisions, decisions.....

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.filereader?41b088b2002a407a272cd1f0 ec0706af+EN/catalogs/1306
$137 - $257

Their line of liners look really technical and well designed. I like the 100% windblock idea. Anybody have one of these liners?

http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=67
$159

The advantage Vanson's liner has is it will snap into my jacket. That's cool. Also, the DS apparel guy says his is very toasty warm.

http://www.gerbing.com/pages/clothing/jl.html
$199

I know this sucker is warm. Bong can attest to that. And, they're made here in WA.

http://www.autumnriders.com/apparel.asp
$60

They make a nice looking fleece jacket and vest but no heat. Neato 999 embroidery though. Not technical enough for me. Definitely less money.

DirtyRonin
12-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I've also been looking at getting a heated vest as well. How does the vest plug into the bike? Is there some sorta socket or connector on the bike or do you have to do some wiring?

darkduc
12-03-2004, 11:59 AM
That all depends on the bike...

I don't know about the Multi or the STs but I know the monsters and SBKs don't have anything pre-wired for heated clothing. If you have a BMW, some/all (?) come with an accessory plug which you can just plug your stuff into.

For me, I'll have to wire a plug up to the battery and mount it someplace inconspicuous yet easy to get to. Hmm, how do you do that on a superbike.. I guess the chord will have to follow the frame up to and possibly under the seat or something.

There are several different types of plugs for this kind of thing as well.... What's the best?

merv
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
The St's have one plug. It's a BMW style plug.....not sure on other Duc's

Bong
12-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I had ducsea install a accessory outlet for my heated jacket. It is the same as the ST series and BMW outlets. I'm sure Randy at ducsea can find a place to install one on your bike.

Bill Anderson
12-03-2004, 11:02 PM
I had ducsea install a accessory outlet for my heated jacket. It is the same as the ST series and BMW outlets. I'm sure Randy at ducsea can find a place to install one on your bike.

Check out the electric accessory outlets from Powerlets, the owner of which is a Ducatisti:
http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/kits.php
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA

darkduc
12-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey cool, those plug kits look nice. They don't state compatibility with 749/999 bikes. I guess I'll have to call and find out. I imagine they fit though.

Bill Anderson
12-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey cool, those plug kits look nice. They don't state compatibility with 749/999 bikes. I guess I'll have to call and find out. I imagine they fit though.

Check their website further, as I believe there are also some handle bar mounted plugs as well as an electric tankbag. As far as compatibility, I think it is just a matter of whether or not it will fit your frame.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmods, WA.

Curt999
12-06-2004, 11:17 AM
The powerlet kit can be wired to any bike. But not neccesary as all the different types of heated clothing either come with with quick disconnects or are available. I wired mine on my 998 direct to the battery with the supplied inline fuse and ran the wire on the inside of the trellis frame tied with small black zip ties. I left the last couple of inches before the quick disconnect plug free. That way it can be tucked up behind the frame when not in use and becomes completely invisible. When in use, the cord drops from the bottom of the jacket just to the right side of the bike in front of my knee. The on/off switch rests nicely on my thigh where it is easily reached while riding....

Curt

darkduc
12-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Ok, update:

I ended up buying a Gerbing liner at the moto-show last weekend. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size in stock so it's being shipped. In fact, it may be on my front porch today. That'd be nice.

I really wanted to check out the Vanson liner and was actually prepared to go that route but nobody had one at the show. :mad: That's irritating.

I must admit I was mesmorized by the warmth of the heated gloves on display at the Gerbing kiosk. Nice! I want some. They're bloody expensive though! $79 just for the liners! $140 for the full heated leather gauntlet gloves. The gloves are definitely a better deal but I already have nice gloves, I only really need the liners. Maybe later.

So, the jacket comes with a battery terminal connection but no fancy BMW plug. We'll see if it works well, I may not need anything else.

I also wanted to get the variable thermostat but they sold out. Can you say 'unprepared'?

I was a little annoyed that they wouldn't budge on the price or give me a package deal on liners and a jacket. After all, isn't that what shows like this are all about? Guess not this year. Oh ya, I forgot, the economy sucks.

Bong
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Congrats Jeff, you'll definitely want to get the thermostat so you don't overcook yourself. I too was surprised they didn't have a show special, they must know that their stuff works and people will pay the price of admission! Let me know when you are ready to test out your heated liner next cold dry day we get...

darkduc
12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Congrats Jeff, you'll definitely want to get the thermostat so you don't overcook yourself. I too was surprised they didn't have a show special, they must know that their stuff works and people will pay the price of admission! Let me know when you are ready to test out your heated liner next cold dry day we get...

Thanks! It's not here yet so no comment on how I like it. I'll keep you updated.
As soon as it gets here I'll let you know so we can go for a chilly ride and see how it performs. :)