PDA

View Full Version : No Key? I need the key Code Please!!!!

Shorinryu2
12-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Guys I'm a new Ducati Owner, a 2000 900 SS sits in my garage. I recently purchased as is, and she had No Keys, so No Start, No Ride that really bitse. Talked with Seattle Ducati, but they were of no help. There has to be a key code somewhere, on the bike, on the title? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Craig

Bong
12-07-2004, 08:33 AM
When I purchased my MTS I was told to never lose the red key as it had the original code for the ecu to recognize when making replacement keys. I have heard that you may have to replace the ecu if you don't have the original keys, the immobilizer won't recognize other keys made to fit the ignition switch. Any authorized dealer will have more info...good luck!

Shorinryu2
12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
You are correct, in that the immobilizer won't recognize other keys made to fit the ignition switch. This started with model years 2001, since mine being a 2000 model, I don't have that to deal with, Thanks for the input.

Dave R
12-07-2004, 09:15 AM
you can try removing your ignition and look at the flat surface where the steering lock pokes out...might be one there. You can also remove the switch and go to the locksmith and see if they can make a key (the one in the Fred Meyer parking lot at 148 and Bel Red has always been good) or you could buy a new lock set. The only outfit I know of that can make a key from a key number is www.motorcyclekeys.com. No dealers I know of can make keys from a key code and Ducati will not supply from the number either.

Shorinryu2
12-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the post, I did what you are suggesting. I pulled the Ignition, and the seat lock took it to a locksmith and had a key made, it works in the ignition, sort of works with the seat lock, but not with the locking gas cap. The locksmith could not find a key code on the igniton itself, so he had to work with what he had. I was just hoping to get the actual code for the locks, so it was exactly right.

Dave R
12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
you might try and figure out who the origianl selling dealer was and there may be a slight chance that they recorded the key number at the time of sale... worth a shot. If it is not printed on the ign as I hoped it is not anywhere else on the bike... If you want to call me directly I can check the VIN and tell you where it may have come out of...
206 298-9995
Dave

lll0228
12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
No keys? Have you checked if it's...err...stolen? Just thinking out loud?...

Shorinryu2
12-08-2004, 07:25 AM
For those who have posted comments Thank you, Dave at Ducati Seattle I appreciate the Information you provided during our phone conversation very helpful in resolving my situation. Here is the update, with the first key the locksmith made I was able to open the gas cap and remove it. With this gas cap lock, the locksmith made a key that worked perfectly in the igniton and seat lock, key issue resolved. So here is the next problem the gas cap does not seat as it did prior to pulling it, when the screws are tightened down the cap will not lock in place and lie flat with the top of the tank. Its not rocket science I know but something is a miss!!! and I haven't figured it out. It appears that the rubber seal it keeping the latch from sliding under the lip inside the tank. Any thoughts?
Craig