PDA

View Full Version : It's a *little* wet out there....

darkduc
12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Man, I got dumped on yesterday while riding home from work! I'm glad I had my gortex shell over my Vanson and I have to say, the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants didn't leak a bit. That was a miserable experience though. The worst part was the terrible visibility. I need motorized wiper blades for my helmet! That and a defroster for the inside of the visor. I ended up having to ride with my visor cracked pretty wide to keep the fog at bay and then the rain got in there and spotted up my glasses AND the inside of the visor. Grrrr.

I tried some of that 'cat crap' stuff REI sells for ski goggles on the visor.... Didn't do crap. Anybody try something that works? How about Rainex on the outside surface of the visor? Any problem with using it? Will it eat my visor? I've used it on my windshield in the past and it works pretty well until the wipers wear it off.

Man, I better decide which jacket liner I'm going to get. I'm shivering at my desk typing this. Those new Dainese gloves I bought at DS aren't that warm and water gets in the cuff to easily. So much for that.

Maybe I should buy a cheap cage to get me to the park & ride for winter.....

Did I just type that?

Bong
12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey Jeff, be carefull out there braving the dark rainy winter commute. On the freezing ride I had a couple weekends ago, a fellow PNWRoadRider member had a bottle of Scott USA Anti-Fog cleaner. I sprayed some on my visor and what a difference that made, no more fogged visor the rest of the ride home. He picked it up at Casscade Moto in Portland. I am hoping to buy some at the show this weekend.

desmopapa
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
The Fog City shield insert works well on the visor for fogging. The rain is a different story. There are gloves available with a rubber wiper on the finger. Good luck.

Dave R
12-08-2004, 09:39 AM
we carry a few diffferent anti fog products.. It is hard to find something that REALLY works.. some gloves have a "wiper" on the index finger that works ok.. Give Sonny a call as he commutes daily and may have a tip on what has worked best for him and his customers..

DRS
12-08-2004, 09:39 AM
rain-x anti fog works well this time of year as well; and saliva spit on the inside works pretty well sometimes too. :happy57:

UKDuc
12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
My First Gear gloves had that wiper on the finger, but I didn't use it all that much - would just turn my head sideways to clear most of it in the wind. Soft suede on the palms was handy to wipe the visor though.

I did 10,000 miles on my Monster last year in all seasons, but never really set-out in the sort of rain we have today - visibility is so bad and you just need to carry so much gear that it was a pain in the arse, plus it isn't that much fun really. I think you should have a car for such conditions - even the bike probably prefers staying home on a day like this :happy57: Of course, with all the right gear and stuff it ain't so bad, it just requires so much more concentration for perhaps a little less reward....

phildo
12-08-2004, 10:55 AM
The cold wetness and poor visibility has been enough to get me back on the bicycle for commuting. At least I'm peddling and staying warm. visibility isn't much better but I'm only going 20ish so it's not that big o deal.
Can't wait for spring! maybe by then I will be rid of this "biker belly" that built up over the summer...too much throttle twisting not enough peddle pounding;-).

Holeshot
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
The Fog City shield insert works well on the visor for fogging. The rain is a different story. There are gloves available with a rubber wiper on the finger. Good luck.

I just ripped the FogSh*ty I had out one of my helmets (it's once again safe to use). I had one a long time ago and it worked great but I got a 2nd gen and it was great for daytime but at night it was just impossilbe for ME to deal with all the reflections it produced from auto headlamps. I have enough of a problem with night vision and that thing just about made me blind... :(

I'll look for the Scott USA stuff at the show myself. I used to be big on FC's.. not so much any more. If you can test one out before you buy I encourage it.

Torben
12-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I use Zooke which was at the IMS last year - works very very well
http://www.zooke.com/shop/detail.php?id=5

darkduc
12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
I use Zooke which was at the IMS last year - works very very well
http://www.zooke.com/shop/detail.php?id=5

Yeah! I got some of that stuff at the show last year too but I'll be damned if I can find it..... Looked pretty slick when they put it up to the humidifier they had there.

Torben
12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Well I'm sure they'll be there this year, and if not buy it off their website. That stuff totally rules :happy44:

DJS
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
JEFF! By far the best fog product I have ever used was not a crummy cream, spray or goop. It’s the Foggy breath guard. It forms a nice impenetrable barrier above your mouth/nose and the shield. Because it sits on your face it does take a bit of getting use to but it’s simply the best. Not sure if you have ever seen the racer guys pre-rain race but they use similar products to keep from fogging up (breath/engine heat). Take a look, I highly recommend it. Oh the part you need to get use to is when your helmet vibrates it kind vibrates your cheeks which in turn vibes your eye a small amount. Nothing big though, just gotta get use to it. I have used this neoprene goodie for over two years now and it’s time for a new one... because I lost it in my move.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/gear/respro/foggy_opening.htm

fosterjct
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I agree with DJS. I went out for a short hop in low 40's weather and had to turn around because my visor kept fogging up. Then I purchase the Foggy breath guard at Motocorsa and it works great. The only problem I've had so far is that I get to my nose when it iches! I don't know about any problems with inner visor reflections off the guard at night yet either. I'll try to check that out this weekend. And just a quick FYI. I also purchased a complete set of the Aprilia brand Cordura jacket and pants. Fantastic protection and versatility for the price. I rode from Portland to Salem in 40 degree weather with light rain and I stayed nice and toasty. Anybody looking for new riding gear should check this out.

beast1210
12-08-2004, 03:20 PM
I too commute everyday, and dont get home til midnight sometimes. I have slowly tried a lot of things, the combo i use works flawless. I'v got the fogcity visor, seattle cycle's $12 mask, and I do use the scott cleaner/anti fog mostly as just a cleaner, a couple bucks at seattle cycle for a little bottle and has lasted me quite a while. plus gloves w/ wiper is a nice touch as well.

Mental998
12-09-2004, 08:46 PM
The way I deal with ridding in the rain is to live on the east side and not have to deal with it. :happy44:

....ok... it rains every now and then. Average rainfall for the year... 8"

Hmmmmm..... I think you guys get about 36" of rain a year.

Oh, and we have sun over 60% of the time. :tongue10:

You guys get what.... sun about 6% of the time.....? :evilgrin3

:D

Torben
12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
And you've ridden how much lately? :fight7
Besides the chance of snow over there is greater than here and I double dare you to ride in the snow on your spiffy new (and yet to be ridden) 998FE

BTW did you get a little something in the mail from Jesse yet?

Mat
12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Rain and dark have their down sides, no doubt,
but compared to snow, ice and wind...I'll take rain anytime.
I have done both and rain is still a better ride than ice patches.
At 28 degrees it only takes a slight bit of water and you will be
joining your scooter in your slide down the tarmac. :eek:
The real joy of rain is found between the drops.
The foggy breath guard works!

Mat
12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
This may be a thread violation but rain (and road grit) just tears-up chains and sprokets. I am getting about 10K per chain and sprokets,
any suggestions?
I mean.....this is a rain issue.

Bill Anderson
12-09-2004, 10:27 PM
This may be a thread violation but rain (and road grit) just tears-up chains and sprokets. I am getting about 10K per chain and sprokets,
any suggestions?
I mean.....this is a rain issue.

Per an article in Motorcycle Consumer News, I lube my chain every 500 miles and clean it with kerosene (then lube it) every 1,000 miles. My OEM chain/sprockets have 13,150 miles on them and should be good for about another 3,000 miles. I assume one's riding style will affect chain wear.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

darkduc
12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
JEFF! By far the best fog product I have ever used was not a crummy cream, spray or goop. It’s the Foggy breath guard. It forms a nice impenetrable barrier above your mouth/nose and the shield. Because it sits on your face it does take a bit of getting use to but it’s simply the best. Not sure if you have ever seen the racer guys pre-rain race but they use similar products to keep from fogging up (breath/engine heat). Take a look, I highly recommend it. Oh the part you need to get use to is when your helmet vibrates it kind vibrates your cheeks which in turn vibes your eye a small amount. Nothing big though, just gotta get use to it. I have used this neoprene goodie for over two years now and it’s time for a new one... because I lost it in my move.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/gear/respro/foggy_opening.htm

Sweet, I just bought one. Thanks Dave!

Mental998
12-10-2004, 03:30 AM
BTW did you get a little something in the mail from Jesse yet?

If you're talking about the purdy girlie calender... yes sir. :happy44: