PDA

View Full Version : 7/2/2008 around the Peninsula

Lotus54
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Since I won't be able to ride for at least a week (or?) I took a spin around the Peninsula today.
It started out gorgeous and sunny here in PA. As I went west, it cooled off LOT and I stopped to plug in heated stuff out past Lake Crescent.
In forks I put on some toe warmers (didn't bring my electric socks, it is a warm day!) and gloves.
As I got closer to Kalaloch, it started to clear a bit, then got cloudy again.
When I got to Quinault, it was starting to get nice.
So I headed up the North Shore (like I usually do). I kept going up the gravel part and all the way to North Fork ranger station (end of the road). A huge windstorm when through last winter and I hardly recognized it!
Took a couple of pics and headed back down.
I crossed the Quinualt river at the Big Bridge, then headed west on the gravel road (south shore road). It was pretty quick travelling and I really like the part after it turns to pavement.
On south when I hit 101 and I was going to try the Aberdeen bypass posted here. I had it in my GPS, but starting from the other side, so I missed it and had to backtrack a couple of miles.
Then I was on it and liked the route. There are a couple of miles of gravel in the middle- too bad it isn't paved there. They are nice banked tight corners that would really be a blast paved.
I quite liked the bypass and will do it again. Those who can't deal with a couple of miles of gravel don't do it! Perhaps there is a way around that section, I don't know.
I stopped in Montesano for fuel then headed East on 12. I took the turn to McCleary and 108 toward Shelton.
Up that Canal after that. Going pretty well, even new pavement- but then the road work started. There were a couple of fairly long waits and heavy traffic. Fortunately I managed to not too far from the front and passed all the cars pretty quickly after all the road work.
I got home later than planned because of that and other side trips- but a great ride.
Around 360 miles. (short day)

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/lotus54/NorthForkQuinault.jpg

Mark

Bong
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Wish I could have tagged along for the ride Mark, sounds like a great ride! Good luck with the surgery...I'd be happy to keep your Lotus company while you recover :p

Lotus54
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Wish I could have tagged along for the ride Mark, sounds like a great ride! Good luck with the surgery...I'd be happy to keep your Lotus company while you recover :p

Sure, may as well take the KTM and Multi while you are at it!

Are you still on the road? Or back at work.

Now, if I could just remember where I put the keys to the car and bike.:rolleyes:

Mark

rb_duc
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Mark - Fingers crossed you recover fast from your surgery!

Cheers, Robert

Lotus54
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey Mark - Fingers crossed you recover fast from your surgery!

Cheers, Robert

Thanks!
Moving pretty slowly now, but the surgery went fine.
Good thing for pain killers...
I was home by 12:30.
My Boss' wife was my surgery nurse, so I had everyone there doing a special lookout for me.

Mark

martys
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
glad all went well, what exactly did you have fixed? Hernia?

Lotus54
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
glad all went well, what exactly did you have fixed? Hernia?

Yes. Hernia. They did it with laparoscopic surgery and put in the mesh.
It only hurt if I ran longer distances, but it wouldn't get better by itself.
Sure wish I could have had it done in Novembe or something rather than the middle of summer!

Mark

Bong
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Glad to hear it went well Mark, heal quickly!!

robhar54
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear it went well Mark, heal quickly!!

+1 Mark. Take it easy and follow your doctor's advice for recovery....

-Rob

Lotus54
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm doing better all the time. But I have no energy!
I slowly washed two of the cars this morning. I didn't do that great of a job- just getting the worst off. I am not supposed to be carrying anything, so I had to walk around with a wet mitt to wash.
After doing both I was totally beat!
I had to go lie down for awhile since I had nothing left.
Fortunately, the Motocross was just starting, then the MotoGP.

Is this normal after surgery? If the weather was crappy it wouldn't be so bad, but I really hate to just sit around with all this great weather!

Yeah, yeah- I know. Quite complaining.

Have fun out riding or doing whatever fun stuff in this great weather.

Mark

martys
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I had laproscopic abdominal surgery a few years ago, yes it's normal as your body goes through the early stages of healing regenerating tissue, reducing swelling and attacking the foreign body now inside (the mesh). you'll start feeling better between 2-3 weeks and will want to do more strenuous stuff around 4 weeks - but don't wait the full 6 weeks before doing anything strenuous, you don't want to re-injure your wounds.

You'll be riding again by August and will be ready for a long trip by Labor Day.

Rich Quarre
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Here's to wishing for a quick recovery for you, Mark. Be patient, follow the Doc's orders and get some good rest...you'll be back to riding soon.

Lotus54
07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
So does that mean I shouldn't go for that Marathon around Crater Lake the first week of August?:rolleyes:

yeah, I'll just have to force myself to take it easy.
Guess I'll have to figure out if I can get in and out of the Lotus yet...

Maybe I'll wash the KTM tomorrow.
Mark