PDA

View Full Version : 03 ST4s Upgrade Update

fosterjct
01-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Just a quick update on my ST4s upgrades and thanks again to all of you that offered suggestions. The bike already has CycleCat bar risers and a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket.

Since getting my bike back from Motocorsa (parking lot crash repairs) I've added the following:

1. Corbin Close Canyon Seat with the carbon fiber print leather and red piping (I have the Senna Gray with red wheels). Kat at Motocorsa recommended the red piping and it looks great!
2. The optional Corbin removal back rest for my obviously better half.
3. The Ducati factory smoked large windscreen.
4. DucatiDesigns headlight system (fantastic headlight but you really need to make sure that it's aimed properly.)
5. The Ducati StreetPilot III GPS system.
6. Ducati magnetic tank bag.

I personally installed the DD headlight and GPS. For the DD headlight and the GPS, I made some adjustments to the wiring installation instructions as space is a premium and I wanted everything to appear factory, as out of sight and out of the way as possible.

If anyone has any questions or cares for my opinion on any of these items just let me know.

Everybody have a great and safe 2005! :happy44:

Jim is Cool
01-01-2005, 04:22 PM
The only other suggestions I have, if you are going to load it and do some serious miles with some weight are as follows:

1. Change out the brake pads for something better, the stock ones are ok, but if you have to get on the binders with a heavy bike, you need better than stock.

2. Change out the fork springs with something a bit heavier, they come pretty soft and fork dive can be pretty bad during weight transfer.

3. Go back to a stock counter sprocket and go up 4 teeth in the rear, yes you will need a new chain, but the smaller sprocket will let the chain tear up the swingarm slider a LOT faster than normal, swingarms get expensive real quick.

Bill Anderson
01-01-2005, 05:41 PM
The only other suggestions I have, if you are going to load it and do some serious miles with some weight are as follows:

1. Change out the brake pads for something better, the stock ones are ok, but if you have to get on the binders with a heavy bike, you need better than stock.

2. Change out the fork springs with something a bit heavier, they come pretty soft and fork dive can be pretty bad during weight transfer.

3. Go back to a stock counter sprocket and go up 4 teeth in the rear, yes you will need a new chain, but the smaller sprocket will let the chain tear up the swingarm slider a LOT faster than normal, swingarms get expensive real quick.

I would add the following:
1) Heavy Ohlins rear spring and readjust the preload collar if you are going to do a lot of two up riding.
2) Dual Star electric grips, which can be wired into the DD headlight harness.
3) Euro headlight switch so you are not feeding electrons into the DD headlight while starting/warming up.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

fosterjct
01-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Bill and Jim is Cool,

Thanks for the quick comments.

I agree with swapping the smaller countershaft sprocket with the larger rear sprocket. I can hear the chain slap occasionally when shifting. If you try to adjust it out the chain gets too tight. Not good either. I'll check into the rear sprocket and chain costs next week (my wife is going to love this one!). I'm assuming that this will make it more manageable in town also. Ditto for the brake pad upgrades.

And I couldn't agree more on the suspension suggestions. I'm 200 plus lbs. in my riding gear and tight corners are already spooky. I cranked up the rear pre-load to take out some of the rocking horse affect but it's still seems soft. Before the weather went completely nasty, I was working on the suspension settings but I'm still having heart in throat moments in the curves because of front end dive.

I have a fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock on my 95 BMW KLT and Chris at the Shock Shop just rebuilt it. While going through my shock, Chris called me to ask about my Beemer riding habits. It turns out that the stock spring was too soft so he installed a heavier rear spring that matches two up with gear riding weight. I then installed WP progressive front fork springs and went to 10W oil. The ride is definitely stiffer but not harsh and it made an incredible improvement in handling. No more bobble, no more wobble.

Now I just have to get the same from the Duc.

So where can I get the Euro headlight switch Dual Star heated grips and any suggestions on the fork springs?
Thanks!

Bill Anderson
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Here is the Dual Star website: http://www.dual-star.com/
They are located in Mountlake Terrace at a secret site they don't advertise as they prefer doing all their business over the internet. They will sell from their office of you give them advance notice you are coming.

The Euro switch is a standard Ducati part that can be bought at your local Ducati dealer. Ducati Seattle usually has one in stock. Be sure you get the one for the ST4s, as the switch mounts on the right handle bar and differs from that of the ST2 and ST4. It is plug and play.

If you don't already have one, I also suggest you get an adapter from Powerlets which allows you to plug your Battery Tender into the accessory power outlet to charge the battery. While at the Powerlets website, you might also check out their accessory power outlets. The wiring and fuse on the accessory outlet of your '03 has been upgraded from earlier ST's, but you may still be interested in Powerlets' dual accessory outlet of you will be doing a lot of two up riding where both of you will be using electric apparel. The dual outlet allows each of you to have your own separate control for the electric apparel.

Finally, Motobags makes bags which fit inside the rear fairing. This makes use of otherwise wasted space. For an ST4s, you only have room in the left rear fairing for a Motobag. You will have to relocate the rear schock canister to put a Motobag in the right rear fairing. I use the Motobag to carry tools I hopefully wil not need to accesss during a trip.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

Jim is Cool
01-02-2005, 12:55 AM
The rear Ohlins actually comes pretty well set up, I'm (ahem) a svelt 230 (yeah yeah, I really need to lose those 30....).

The rear works well for me alone with loaded luggage/tent/sleeping bag etc, and it also works just fine on the track.

BTW, I just looked and I have a brand new 40T rear in my garage, never used it because I changed to a 520 chain.

Anyone want it, first 20 bucks takes it!

fosterjct
01-02-2005, 02:09 AM
First to Bill, thanks for the info. I'll follow up on your suggestions and I'll be sure to let you know how everything works out.

Now to Jim is Cool. If your rear sprocket isn't spoken for already, I'll take it. I'm sure I can bury a 20 dollar purchase without anyone (and I do mean anyone) noticing. Get back to me with the how's and where's and it's a done deal.
:happy44:

Bill Anderson
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
The rear Ohlins actually comes pretty well set up, I'm (ahem) a svelt 230 (yeah yeah, I really need to lose those 30....).

The rear works well for me alone with loaded luggage/tent/sleeping bag etc, and it also works just fine on the track.

BTW, I just looked and I have a brand new 40T rear in my garage, never used it because I changed to a 520 chain.

Anyone want it, first 20 bucks takes it!

I am about in the same weight range as you (and I really need to lose those 30 as well) and l noticed a big difference when I had the heavier spring installed, especially when riding 2 up with my son. I had Randy at Ducati Seattle adjust the sag with me sitting on the bike after he installed the heavier spring and moved the preload adjustment collar farther down the shaft for a wider adjustment range. My front suspension is still stock.
I too purchased a 40T rear sprocket which I will try when it is time to change sprockets and chain. I found the OEM 38T rear sprocket to work better and better as the bike got broken in and I adjusted to the it, but I never use 6th gear as I pretty much stick to the speed limit on the freeway.