PDA

View Full Version : 749/999 mirror replacement / bar ends

UKDuc
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
So it is now clear to me that I will need something to take the place of the awful 749 mirrors. I am thinking of putting bar end mirrors on, but then wonder if I should take the other mirrors off (no need for two sets of mirrors) and if I did that, then what would I do about the turn signals that are set in the mirrors?

Anyone done anything about their 749/999 mirrors yet? Any advice?

Cheers!

Torben
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
So you've experienced the xx9 mirrors! They take a while to get used to but the trick I usually do - if they're adjusted correctly - is to lift your elbow a bit and you can see just fine in a pinch. Since the signals are integrated with the mirrors, and since at the end of the day it is after all a race bike, bar end mirrors really wouldn't work unless you really can't grapple with the elbow look-by and feel like adding some supersport-style turn signals.
I haven't seen anything yet for the xx9 bikes for aftermarket separation of mirrors and signals, but ultimately the failing of the mirrors is that they sit low and tight whereas supersport and monster mirrors sit wide and high.

UKDuc
01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I did try looking under the elbow, but I like being able to monitor mirrors constantly, and so it was a bit of a pain having to move my elbow all the time - maybe I will get used to it, but I saw this bike on Speedzilla, and it has bar-ends on it, so wondered if it would work for me:

http://www.desmo-corsa.com/websitegraphics/999RF/999rf05b.jpg

TDAdams
01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
You do adapt but I wouldn't count it ever being like a Monster. I have thought about sticking an adhesive-backed, convex mirror on there but I haven't found one yet that is 1" to 1-1/2" yet. I still twist around in my seat a lot to look rearward.

Mat
01-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Just an off-the-wall suggestion that allows you to remove the
never-worked-to-begin-with stock mirrors.....you can find on Ebay
some well designed and well made helmet mount mirrors. I tried them
and could not get used to them but I am sure that they work and would
be easy to learn by those more young and more open minded.
One went to my son (who uses them) and the other is stuck on my
work computer so I can watch for incoming trouble makers.

UKDuc
01-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I actually thought of the convex mirrors - may try and find some of them and see if they work. I was also thinking about getting them for my car (they are usually bought fo rthe blind spot - had them on my old car).

Not sure about helmet mirrors - may look in to them.

I think I may go with the plan to try bar end mirrors and see how they pan out. If they work, I'll then look in to replacing the mirrors with turn signals that fit flush with the body. When I get round to doing it, I'll let you know how it goes... :D

Tom
01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
If you go the bar end route you might want to look into buying inexpensive bike mirrors instead of motorcycle ones. A guy I know did that for his FZ1, cost him $30 and they look great

Tom

Jim is Cool
01-12-2005, 09:42 AM
This whole thread reeks of blaspheme! :eek:

UKDuc
01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
This whole thread reeks of blaspheme! :eek:

I was thinking of some of those extended truck mirrors you get for towing trailors too :p

Jim is Cool
01-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Tell you what, I have some curb feelers and some plastic handlebar tassles for ya too! I think a big orange ATV whip flag on the back would be awsome! :)

UKDuc
01-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Tell you what, I have some curb feelers and some plastic handlebar tassles for ya too! I think a big orange ATV whip flag on the back would be awsome! :)

The lights are a bit dim too - how's this for solving the mirrors and lighting problem? :happy57:

http://www.modrevival.net/modrev1.jpg

Jim is Cool
01-12-2005, 11:57 AM
I knew it! You're a Mod!

martino
01-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I dig the issue with the not the most ergonomic and functional SB mirrors but, without insulting the tastes of UKDuc :evilgrin3 , installing bar ends on SB would be like topping Modena F430 with a roof rack :happy44: .

UKDuc
01-14-2005, 07:31 AM
installing bar ends on SB would be like topping Modena F430 with a roof rack :happy44: .

Made me think of the ski rack on top of James Bond's Lotus Esprit - looked quite sexy I thought! :D

I am getting the feeling that bar ends are an aesthetic no-no. Maybe I should scrap my plans for the towbar too... :rolleyes: :happy57:

LittleMeanWolf
01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
But what about the trailer... and sidecar?

Damn...

- LMW

UKDuc
01-14-2005, 09:11 AM
But what about the trailer... and sidecar?

Damn...

- LMW

Finally someone who appreciates the way I think! ;)

Ernesto
01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
The best solution if an aftermarket parts company is reading this or someone with a little machine shop skill is an extension plate that would fit between the existing mirrors and fairing.

I'm guessing if the mirrors were spaced out about a 1/2" (perhaps 1/2" for the rear post and slightly less for the front post, thereby angling the view out a bit more) we could all see a little less of our elbows.

Not sure about the best material. I guess it could be made from extruded aluminium/plastic, but carbon fibre would also be cool.

If someone wanted to make these I'd line up to buy them. (I'd also help design them)

Mat
01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing if the mirrors were spaced out about a 1/2" (perhaps 1/2" for the rear post and slightly less for the front post, thereby angling the view out a bit more) we could all see a little less of our elbows.

Hey, not a bad idea!! Check it out with a little foam double-stick tape and couple pieces of wood (if you can find nothing else). You would never have to leave your driveway to know if the idea works. Then, check out macined spacers. CF strength is not needed.....Acetal (Delrin) or other engineering plastic should do the job. Drill it out if you can't stand that 20 extra grams of useless plastic.

UKDuc
01-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Good designs work - they don't just look purdy. In my opinion the mirrors are bad design on an otherwise great bike. I don't see why the many functional mirrors on other bikes would make an unholy mess of a Duc. I reckon that the first person to make a decent mirror that looks good on these bikes will have people knocking down their door for them!

Jim is Cool
01-18-2005, 10:56 AM
In the last 8 years (7 bikes) I've had ONE that had good mirror positions, and it was a Veradero, so that doesn't really count.

Track oriented sportbikes and real world ergonomics just don't mix, and they probably never will.

The key is to go faster than everyone so you don't have to worry about what's behind you. :-)

Mat
01-19-2005, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=JThe key is to go faster than everyone so you don't have to worry about what's behind you. :-)[/QUOTE]

Or...go real slow and ignore your rearview mirrors like a lot of cage drivers. Of course on a motorcycle that behavior is almost certain death and on a Duck....going slow is almost impossible.

desmocorsa
01-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for posting up a link of my customers bike. I saw the thread from my logs, I went and enabled my site pictures for here.

If you have any questions let me know. I think I have some other pictures of those bar end mirrors around here somewhere.

I'll have to look....

UKDuc
01-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks for posting up a link of my customers bike. I saw the thread from my logs, I went and enabled my site pictures for here.

If you have any questions let me know. I think I have some other pictures of those bar end mirrors around here somewhere.

I'll have to look....

I like those bar ends - very much like the mirrors I had on my old Monster.

Here's my question though - is the stock fairing on that bike, and if so, are the stock mirrors still on it with the bar ends, or did you take the originals off and do something about replacing the turn signals?

Nice bike BTW :D

UKDuc
01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Another mirror solution discussed on Speedzilla. Maybe less aesthetically 'imposing' than full sized bar ends (which I accept are not a perfect solution). I would like to see mirrors that can work in the original placement though. Nothing aftermarket that I have seen yet, although there are some nice aftermarkets for the 748/918-998 bikes. Take a look:

http://www.motowheels.com/images/gallery-pics/phase2-7.jpg

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm? (http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=535%7CMirrors&productID=453&showDetail=1&categoryID=535|Mirrors&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection)