PDA

View Full Version : If it Smells like ***t, check your shoes

91aztec
02-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Be aware. I was looking into a track bike I found on Cycle trader. 2003 749 with a little over a 1000 miles on it. They guy only wanted $5200 for it. I assumed he had put it down or it was a misprint. I e-mailed him and he said he needed the money for a surgery and the bike was in perfect shape. There was one catch, he and the bike were in Spain. He said he would pay for all of the shipping costs and provided me with a link for an escrow company to protect us both.
I am thinking what a nice guy, looking out for my interests as alarm bells are going off.

I looked into this escrow company and did a search on it.
It turns out there is a Kawasaki site in the Midwest that came back on my search. There is a Suzuki for sale in Spain who's owner needs an operation.

The e-mails were the same word for word.

I am now having some fun with the guy.

In my distorted version of reality I let him know that a cousin of mine lives in Barcelona and works for Interpol and would be up later this week to look over the bike and provide a check if it passes his inspection.

This guy is dancing like Michael Jackson in his prime. Oddly enough he is going to be at the doctors having tests this week.

I guess the point is....the old addage, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Torben
02-07-2005, 11:17 AM
This wouldn't happen to be a yellow 749 would it?
I ran into a similar deal with Gman last year - sounds familiar to me.

kamran
02-07-2005, 11:32 AM
The way most these people work their scam is as follows:

First they ask you to send the money via Wester Union or a similar method "under a third party" name that "you" chose (could be your dad's name, to protect yourself); and they tell you that once you get the bike, you can change the name to their name so that they can collect the money.

Then they ask you for the confirmation number that you have sent the money, before they send you the bike.

Finally, once they have the confirmation number, they log on Western Union and with the confirmation number you have provided they change the name to their own name and withdraw the money... and there isn't a thing that Western Union can do about it (or whatever banking system they use).

Sometimes, they are even funny...they ask you to send only $1000 and send the rest when you get the bike...

Anyways, have fun with him...I've already had my fun with them! ;)

91aztec
02-07-2005, 11:51 AM
It is red, the guy even sent me a dozen photo's of it.

It is posted on cycletrader.com.

Sounds like this guy has been at it for a while. The exact same email appeared (word for word) on my search.

Anybody have any ideas on how to really put the screws to this guy or if there is any way to report him to a legal body that cares?

Torben
02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Seems like a standard scam. Since it's theoretically international the only way to handle it is to inform cycletrader of the scam and have them pull it.

UKDuc
02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
....he needed the money for a surgery and the bike was in perfect shape.

Tell him that you are a surgeon, and for a very reasonable price you will fly over and operate on him. First, he has to send you money through Western Union........ :happy57:

If he is interested, my name is Howgul Abul Arhu, and I have a confidential business proposition just for him:

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Howgul Abul Arhu :D :D :D

Torben
02-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Does this look somewhat familiar?

1 you send me the 3500 via western union in your wifes name to my address
2 I check the funds and see if they are there
3 I ship you the bike
4 You recieve the bike and check it out make sure it runs
5 You call wetern union and change the recievers name to my
6 I pick up the money and nobody gets ripped off.

You will provide me with a mtcn number which is a tracking number for
western union funds your name and address and the amount. All I have to do is go to western union and give them all that and they
will tell me if the funds are there. after I find out the money is
there then I send you the bike. once you recieve it you change the
name to my so you can pick the money up at western union.

Please let me know if you would like to move forward.

kamran
02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
... he must be one busy guy!!!
I wonder if they have a whole office staffed with screwballs like that to respond to all the people all over the world!

I wonder how they recruit for an office position like that! Imagine a classified ad, imagine the benefits....! :rolleyes:

Western Union cannot do anything once you give the guy the confirmation number. The only thing you can do is reporting it to cycletrader to remove it.

Gemini
02-07-2005, 03:27 PM
I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00... The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

5% of $47mil!!! Hot damn, that's $2.35mil by my calcuations... those would be some sweet incidentals. :eek:

belikeh20
02-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I guy I know (not really a good friend) had a truck for sale on Auto Trader & he got an e-mail from someone in Toronto that would buy it & pay him an extra couple of thousand dollars (Why?). He sent a Bank of America cashier's check for the truck. My friend also has an account with Bank of America & deposits the cashier's check. He gets an e-mail saying he can't complete the transaction due to... & if he could wire transfer the amount but he can keep the extra couple of thousand dollars. Idiot friend does it & it turns out the Bank of America Cashier's check is FAKE! IDIOT!

UKDuc
02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
These are all great ideas for if I ever lose my straight job :evilgrin3

Apostate
02-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Howgul Abul Arhu :D :D :D
That's great, I love it!!

CINDESMO
02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

I read in the paper just last year about a guy in his 60's who not only fell for one of these scams, but even after they took all of his money (and his wife's) he still believed what he was told. The scam was that he was helping these guys get money that belonged to some foreigners who had passed away without heirs and that their country's government ("the bad guys") were stopping them from getting it. But with a little time and money they could make it happen. He even flew out of the country a couple of times to meet with these guys! Now he has no money, a mortgage, a 2nd mortgage, etc!!!

Sometimes it pays to not have any money! I can't lose what I don't have! :happy57:

desmoduke
02-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Hey - my brother and I were just in contact with the guy (the 749 in Spain)- my brother is looking for a 749s - anyway, turns out the same bike (according to the photos) just recently sold on ebay by a seller in Texas. I guess the guy downloaded th ebay photos and stuck them on cycle trader.
Crazy! :confused:

monsterbzl
02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Does this sound familiar? was looking at a 2000 900 SS and, WOW, what a deal! then i found it on ebay with similar "im in europe" shit.

"i understand you but i will give you only the photo with the odometer.
after we will start the transaction and i will see that you are a
serious buyer i will send you the vin#.
i will use for shipping this company Spedition Staight
(www.spedition-str.i8.com) and you will send them the funds after i
will start the delivery. they will hold the money until you get and
inspect the bike. if by any reason you don't like it you will send me
back.
let me know.

John"

Needless to say,k didn't do that. He did send a bunch of pics,but would NOT give me vin. I wonder why.....