PDA

View Full Version : how is bike theft in seattle?

ngng
02-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I'll be parking my bike at my apartment...I have comprehensive...but still

how is it?

Teckhardt
02-07-2005, 04:26 PM
A couple of years ago, Seattle was in the top ten US cities for vehicle thefts. Don't know if it has improved.

ngng
02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
A couple of years ago, Seattle was in the top ten US cities for vehicle thefts. Don't know if it has improved.

I know the Yahama/Suzuki/etc brands are stolen a lot, but not sure about Ducati...

lll0228
02-07-2005, 04:35 PM
One word: Bad.

And the cops don't care.

Comprehensive most of the time only covers the "present value" of the bike, not replacement value.

Get a HUGE chain, plus disc lock. Good that the new Ducs have immobiliser. The chain I have is half an inch thick. And my bike is one of the two bikes left (out of six) in the apartment garage.

Gemini
02-07-2005, 05:16 PM
no wonder my insurance is so friken high.

belikeh20
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
How do you think I got my bike? ;)

Last Summer someone stole my friend's Suzuki SV650 @ Renton MC & my Arai Quantum F Colin Edwards replica $550 helmet, because my friend left his keys in the ignition & I didn't check my helmet in @ the helmet/coat/bag check at RMC. The police recovered the bike a month later (not my helmet) in a sting operation where they were robbing houses. At their Lake Tapps hideout they had a bunch of bikes, cars, etc... The bike's license plate was chopped off, rear custom hugger destroyed with lots of mud from off-roading, & the Yosh pipe was now a blue color, but other than that it was pretty clean considering what could've happened. They subpoenaed my friend to go to court & the guy eventually skipped bail.

I know someone else whose bike was stolen. Get a BIG ASS Chain & lock!

Benjamin St.G
02-07-2005, 06:45 PM
I know the Yahama/Suzuki/etc brands are stolen a lot, but not sure about Ducati...
It's bad around here.....and I don't think a thief is going to care about the brand if they see a non-secured bike sitting out in the open. One of the favorite ways for them to steal bikes now is to drive up with a van or truck, pick the bike up and throw it in. I agree that disc lock and a huge chain would be the minimum to have on a bike sitting outside all night.

ngng
02-07-2005, 06:57 PM
It's bad around here.....and I don't think a thief is going to care about the brand if they see a non-secured bike sitting out in the open. One of the favorite ways for them to steal bikes now is to drive up with a van or truck, pick the bike up and throw it in. I agree that disc lock and a huge chain would be the minimum to have on a bike sitting outside all night.

I won't be keeping it out in the open, it will be in a garage...which still, bugs me...what did you guys chain your bikes down to?

Since the bike is fianced, if somebody steals it, I thought comprehensive pays for that?

Torben
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
It'll be paid for but your rates (and ours) will increase.
Some people, including me, have gone to the lengths of boring a hole in the concrete pad in the garage, putting a (or two) high-grade steal eye bolt in it and cementing it into the pad and bolting the bike via the frame (again using high-grade steal chain and locks) to them.

Or you could live in the burbs like me and not have to worry since everyone out here (except for a couple of members) own Harleys :rolleyes:

ngng
02-07-2005, 07:26 PM
It'll be paid for but your rates (and ours) will increase.
Some people, including me, have gone to the lengths of boring a hole in the concrete pad in the garage, putting a (or two) high-grade steal eye bolt in it and cementing it into the pad and bolting the bike via the frame (again using high-grade steal chain and locks) to them.

Or you could live in the burbs like me and not have to worry since everyone out here (except for a couple of members) own Harleys :rolleyes:

I wonder if my landlord would go for that :o

I would jump at the opportunity to do that. Can't all the bolts and chains be cut though? :/

Torben
02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
If you get case-hardened stainless steel or use heavy gage braided wire then it would take a hell of a lot of work with a plasma cutter to get through that.
Got any room in your living room? :D

DJS
02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
ngng, you have nothing to worry about. It would suck if you 2003 749S was ripped off but as you said it...you have comprehensive. I was worried about this too but realized why worry about something you can’t really control. If someone wants to boost your bike they will. When I went to Laguna a few years back bikes were getting stolen all over the place so it’s the luck of the draw. Don’t spend too much time on this. You will be ok. Just be smart about it and leave it at that. Chain your bike up, lock the bars and stick it in a low visibility location.

You picking it up tomorrow?

ngng
02-07-2005, 08:06 PM
ngng, you have nothing to worry about. It would suck if you 2003 749S was ripped off but as you said it...you have comprehensive. I was worried about this too but realized why worry about something you canÕt really control. If someone wants to boost your bike they will. When I went to Laguna a few years back bikes were getting stolen all over the place so itÕs the luck of the draw. DonÕt spend too much time on this. You will be ok. Just be smart about it and leave it at that. Chain your bike up, lock the bars and stick it in a low visibility location.

You picking it up tomorrow?

Well said, that's why I pay for insurance :)

Yup, picking her up tomm!

ngng
02-07-2005, 08:07 PM
If you get case-hardened stainless steel or use heavy gage braided wire then it would take a hell of a lot of work with a plasma cutter to get through that.
Got any room in your living room? :D

Maybe one of you will have to come to home depot with me ;)

I AM the apartment manager here...maybe I can figure SOMETHING out ;)

lll0228
02-08-2005, 12:23 AM
ngng, check your coverage first. Again, your coverage may only cover the current value of the bike, it may not be enough to cover the replacement value. Everyone who had their bike stolen here had comprehensive insurance, no one got a check big enough to buy another bike that they lost.

I chain my bike to a steel electrical distribution block. He/she will have to either cut the 1/2' thick chain, or cut a high voltage steel conduit, their choice. :) Or you can chain it to the sewage line...so even if they steal the bike, they will be covered in crap.

I have the Mastiff chain from OnGuard. Mastiff Chain - link (http://www.onguardlock.com/chains.html)